miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #11 of 20 Old 08-10-16, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread

Slow, slow, slow, but making progress. Had to get a handle on the interior gain structure of the 88BM and the best way to make use of it.

An apparent show-stopper for a few potential Dirac users has been: "What happened to my gain? I can't get it loud enough." I hope to have an answer to this issue.

Also working on a checklist for 88BM implementation.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-11-16, 06:51 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Can I suggest an other question? Is the sound very different (measurable differences ? maybe??) than with NanoAVR-DL for small to medium size rooms?
post #13 of 20 Old 08-11-16, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Very good question, I will try to squeeze in an AB comparison.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-12-16, 09:35 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Very good question, I will try to squeeze in an AB comparison.
That would be great for many of us. I do not know all the science between the "before and after bass management thing", but my intuition tells me that there is no such a great difference in rooms, let us say, less than
2 000ish cube feet.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-29-16, 07:52 PM

Ron

My System

Have you by any chance tried running the Dirac Setup with the mic pattern being real close vs a wide pattern? I am asking this because in my room a single point tune had unreal mid to high clarity, and when we did a pattern that went to the center of the seat on each side of the MLP seat the mids to high are not near as clear as they were with the single mic position. I am assuming this is because Dirac is trying to average the sound over a larger area.

I am going to try this weekend to do a 2nd tune that is in a closer grouping that would not extend beyond my MLP seat and see if it brings back the clarity from the single mic tune. I am very curious to see what it does on your setup too. I am hoping it does bring back the clarity as it will be excellent for 2 channel listening too then.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-02-16, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

The review has been posted.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Have you by any chance tried running the Dirac Setup with the mic pattern being real close vs a wide pattern? I am asking this because in my room a single point tune had unreal mid to high clarity, and when we did a pattern that went to the center of the seat on each side of the MLP seat the mids to high are not near as clear as they were with the single mic position. I am assuming this is because Dirac is trying to average the sound over a larger area.

I am going to try this weekend to do a 2nd tune that is in a closer grouping that would not extend beyond my MLP seat and see if it brings back the clarity from the single mic tune. I am very curious to see what it does on your setup too. I am hoping it does bring back the clarity as it will be excellent for 2 channel listening too then.
I have seen that tendency. I actually did a fair amount of listening with a 3-point pattern, MLP, 1 foot forward, another 1 foot forward. Sounded fantastic. 3 points helps negate effects from chair back reflections.

Not recommending it over DL's way, because their pattern gives terrific results, too. But it is sure worth a try. Plus, with DL, if you don't like it, you don't have to start over, just add more measurements and re-optimize.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-02-16, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

BTW, other than the MLP 1st mic position, no precise position measuring was used for any other points, all were eyeballed. I have never needed to be more careful than that with Dirac Live.

The MIP 1st mic position, however, I measure with laser distance meter and with analog mic / audio interface / timing loopback, as a reference, to verify precise equidistance from each of the front mains & front wall. I saved Measurement 1 as a project of its own so I could quickly and easily add whatever measurements I wanted to without having to repeat it.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-23-16, 11:25 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Don't upgrade the firmware to the new one that just came out...people are having problems with it connecting afterwards.
Ive had my unit now for 2 months - it started generating random crackling / popping sounds and Im not the only one with this issue.... no issues with connection
but imagine loud random popping sounds like capacitor discharge...

Its definitely not the gain structure being over driven OR sweeps recorded too high / gain....

Its soon to be a deal breaker.... at least 2 others on forum reporting similar issue....
post #19 of 20 Old 12-24-16, 01:40 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
Ive had my unit now for 2 months - it started generating random crackling / popping sounds and Im not the only one with this issue.... no issues with connection
but imagine loud random popping sounds like capacitor discharge...

Its definitely not the gain structure being over driven OR sweeps recorded too high / gain....

Its soon to be a deal breaker.... at least 2 others on forum reporting similar issue....
Mine is working fine other than one channel emitting a buzz. We believe it is caused by the hookup blocks, as the weight of the cables has made them seem loose. I chatted with MiniDSP, and they wanted me to send it back at my expense. For the time being we have moved the problem channel to the surrounds so it is not heard unless you are almost next to the speaker. Eventually i will have a friend check the solder joints on the board where the connectors attach, as we think it is a bad solder joint causing our problem.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-27-16, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Weird. Always, always, always provide strain relief.

It does kinda sound like a bad ground. Try a short jumper from a neighboring ground pin to the ground pin of the noisy channel, on the outside of the unit, you don't even have to crack the cover open, see if it eliminates the buzz. It might save your DDRC-88BM a return trip to Hong Kong.