miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 06-19-16, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread

The Bass Management option, via a plugin upgrade, is now available for miniDSP's DDRC-88A 8-channel Dirac Live unit. The DDRC-88BM plugin, costing only $99, can be purchased and downloaded from the miniDSP web site.

I just received the miniDSP DDRC-88A and -88BM for a review on Home Theater Shack, and just MIGHT drop a nugget of news on this thread during the process of completing and writing that review.

Check back, and post any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-19-16, 04:22 PM

Ron

My System
Re: miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread

subscribed

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-27-16, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

No big news. The unit is set up and working.

I forget that when I am working with a unit like this, my whole setup tends to end up in turmoil for a few days. No, I will not take pictures of the chaos.

The unit I got is a demo, so it was all ready for the BM plugin. Those of you who have a previous DDRC-88A unit will have to open it up and move some jumpers inside. Excellent instructions are included with the BM plugin upgrade for doing this. But I was glad not to have to do it. If you buy a DDRC-88A and the BM plugin at the same time, the DDRC unit should come with those interior mods already applied.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-16, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

My most recent hot-button, DAC aliasing filter pre-ringing, will be looked at in detail.

I have a good educated guess what we will find. (Meaning now good or bad it will be, and why.)

Anyone care to offer an opinion?
post #5 of 20 Old 07-05-16, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I have gotten a little carried away with the review process - there is a first time for everything!

My MartinLogan ESLs needed to be re-set-up, and it seemed like a good time to:
  • See how much Dirac Live can improve an already almost-perfect SS&I setup.
  • Review and document some of the more detailed steps of the setup process.

The one OCD cell in my brain (yes, there is only one, but it is a big one!) got militant and took over and I spent much of the last 24 hours re-doing that setup. The result is the best manual SS&I setup I have accomplished to date. With no manual EQ or Dirac applied, it is so sharp and clear and 3-dimensional, including good depth acuity, that Dirac is going to have its work cut out improving anything. However, Dirac has done nothing but surprise and delight me up until now, so I leave it to the design to surprise and delight once again. My LXmini pair is next.
Tonto and ellisr63 like this.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-05-16, 11:45 AM

Ron

My System

Have you listened to the new Adele "25" disc yet? On my setup the soundstage was at least 12' deep! When we sit in the 2nd row she is singing in the front row, and her chorus is behind the screen 12' farther back!

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 20 Old 07-05-16, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I will give it a spin via Tidal.

The problem with this kind of success is that you just want to sit and listen and all further progress just halts for a day or two.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-05-16, 12:20 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I will give it a spin via Tidal.

The problem with this kind of success is that you just want to sit and listen and all further progress just halts for a day or two.
Well it does allow you to get more familiar with the new setup first. One nice thing about the DDRC-88 is that you can turn it off and listen to your setup un-tuned too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #9 of 20 Old 07-07-16, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

One question I will be addressing is the "are there any negative effects from adding another pair of AD and DA conversions in my system?" question, which might have some of the more "idealist" prospects holding back from the DDRC88A_BM. I think I already know the answer, but measurements and listening tests will have to confirm it before I say anything.

Still loving and enjoying the "raw" sound of my system right now. A couple of impulse diagrams with my dipole MartinLogan ESL mains, looking at the timing of the Direct to LP wavefronts and the Main Reflected wavefronts, as measured at the LP center-of-head position. I know the "we have two ears" crowd will think it looks like a ridiculous goal. All I can say is: Come have a listen. (I know one of you who will in a few days.) And, the math will follow (let's see, according to Radiohead, 2+2=5 ?????????).
Attached Thumbnails
miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread-01-leak-direct-main-reflected.jpg  

miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread-02-leak-direct.jpg  

miniDSP DDRC-88A+BM Pre-Review Leak Thread-03-leak-main-reflected.jpg  

post #10 of 20 Old 07-07-16, 11:19 AM

Ron

My System

Don't upgrade the firmware to the new one that just came out...people are having problems with it connecting afterwards.

Ron

My Home Theater