Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Dolby Prologic IIz (9.2 channel) Waste or want?

47K views 80 replies 26 participants last post by  Driver_King 
#1 ·
I will be buying a new integrated amp in the coming months and was wondering what's the general consensus on the 9.2 audio? I've read several articles saying it's lame but as more material is encoded with it will it get stronger?

I have 7.1 setup now and through my selections assumed its the newer thing, therefore, "I need it." I was looking at the Onkyo NR-5007 becasue it will meet my power needs and seems to be a great amp. But if the IIz is really not that great there are many other cheaper options than those with IIz decoding.

What's the:huh: consensus on Pro Logic IIz? Is it a waste?

#3 ·
That's what I read too. I was just wondering if anybody felt differently.

also I meant to put in my original post.....

How is it that you can have 9 channel audio with a 7 channel amp? I see lots of receivers out there that decode IIz but only have 7 channels. do you assign the rears to the height channels as a tradeoff or have outputs for the height channels to an external stereo amp?

#14 ·
How is it that you can have 9 channel audio with a 7 channel amp? I see lots of receivers out there that decode IIz but only have 7 channels. do you assign the rears to the height channels as a tradeoff or have outputs for the height channels to an external stereo amp?
All the other AVRs out there that decode IIz have 7 powered channels and can only process 7 channels. In other words, you have to sacrifice the use of your rear surrounds to be able to use your height or width channels. You can't even use an extra stereo amp to get 9 channels simultaneously. The Onkyo 1007/8, 3007/8, 5007/8 are the only AVRs I've seen to date that can process and power 9 simultaneous channels. I personally am considering a full 9.2 height system with either the 3008 or 5008. I'll probably test it out with some speakers I have sitting around before I go and buy a pair for the height channels though. I figure there's not really much to lose by having it and if it adds some cool ambient effects then all the better.

#4 ·
They add height speakers, but then say the system only processes non directional sounds. Thats a bit confusing and contradicting IMO, not to mention there is plenty of talk on the web of the human ear not being able to tell all that much difference in the height of sounds anyway. The whole height thing is a bit lost on me, if you have the right kit for your room then it will fill your room with sound anyway and I'm not convinced this makes a difference. Certainly an 8.1 system I heard recently utilising the extra height speakers didnt give any noticeable extra sensation over even my 5.1 that I could tell.

#7 ·
Some people really like the added height or width speakers but most of the professional reviews I have read said it was just OK with some material and worse with others.

I used to think the same thing about 7.1 and the back surrounds until I heard Pro-logic IIx with music, now I think back surrounds are worth it just for PL IIx.

I personally don't have any desire to add height or width channels though as it would be difficult to integrate into my system and the reviews have been so so.

#8 ·
Hello,
The biggest thing I like is dual separate Audyssey calibrations of the Subwoofer Channel. With many people using 5.1 or 5.2 based systems, having dual Subwoofer calibrations really can be a boon.
Cheers,
JJ

#10 ·
I personally think its a "hit and miss" option. It depends on how far away you sit from the front wall and how high the speakers are placed.

#11 ·
Hello,
Unless I completely switch out my Speakers, I really do not see how I could practically implement Front Height Channels. I have been seriously considering adding another Depth Subwoofer and love the idea of having dual subwoofer calibrations.
Cheers,
JJ

#17 ·
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
If using dual subwoofers, having the ability to perform Audyssey on each is a good thing as most dual sub installations are not in the same location. By having each subwoofer calibrated individually, they are maximized for their physical location.

It has only been in the past few years that the ability to have dual sub calibration has been even possible. I cannot think of a disadvantage provided it is an EQ Designed to calibrate dual subs.
Cheers,
JJ
Perhaps it is my unfamiliarity with the process that is keeping me from following.

With a more traditional method such as using REW and a peq, it would be a mistake to calibrate dual subs independently. The summed response would not be as desired.

#18 ·
As far as Audyssey's new SubEQ it does not EQ the subs separately, it only adjusts the phase and polarity of the 2 subs separately then EQ's them as a whole which is the correct way to do it for any set-up. The standalone SVS and Audyssey SubEQ's do the same thing.

#19 ·
You would be hard pressed to find many BD movies with even 7.1. I have not even implemented 7.1 and sticking with 5.1 because of this. IIx is more than whats needed. Perhaps someday I will put up two back speakers but not yet and certainly not 11.1. I think its just marketing in order to sell new receivers without any interest in what is useful.

#21 ·
I just purchased a denon 4311ci it has PL IIz and Audyssey DSX. I don't have enough space for wides but I do have enough for heights. I had some extra surround speakers so I put them up above my screen. Bottom-line I was not impressed...I did not stop there. I decided to spend some time working on placing them correctly. Long story short after spending half the day measuring and mounting them I absolutely love the affect! It was not just a minor placebo effect. It was stunning! Here are some essential keys to correct placement. First off they need to be straight above or slightly outside your front speakers. Secondly they need to be high on the wall. When I first placed mine they where too low. I then re mounted them so that they are about 5 feet above my mains and about 9 inches down from my ceiling. This made a night and day difference. Finally I found I prefer Audyssey DSX over Pl IIz. Bottom line is placement matters don't expect to throw some speakers on a shelf any old way and get spectacular effects. Don't believe the hype! I am running 9.2 and not going back!

#23 ·
With me it is more of a want thing then a need, currently in my front room the 5.1 is amazing and satisfying. When i do the back room this spring it is gonna be 9.2 or 11.2, i know it isn't needed but thats what i want so i shall have it place i have a ton of extra power amps begging for some use.:T

#24 ·
Hello,
I truly know the feeling and am contemplating adding a pair of MartinLogans new 2000 Dollar ESL's for the Back Surrounds and the smaller Monitor sized Speaker from this line for DSX in either a Height or Width application.

The new Xstat based 2000 Dollar ML's (EM-ESL) have really got me excited as it will give folks the opportunity to have a true ESL Speaker for under 2 Grand which is quite a bit larger in Panel size than the prior ESL's in the Design Series which were also using the previous generation Gen 2 Panel. Here is a Link for the ESL Model: http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/index.php
Cheers,
JJ

#27 ·
One thing with doing a setup that large is i think the room needs to be large to handle all of the speakers and locate them properly, i'm probly running borderline on the small side as my room is only 14ft. X 20ft. but after some planning and careful placement i think it will work out pretty swell.:T Oh, and Audessey, which i do not use on my front room setup should make things easier to set.

#28 ·
I am running the Onkyo 1007 in 9.2.

When I first set it up I was using some very inexpensive Yamaha speakers for my height speakers. I was able to temp mount them above and just outside of my mains near the ceiling. I could definetely tell a difference when watching movies. I did not want to spend a bunch of money on speakers just to discover that I could not tell a difference. I did, so I went ahead and installed some really nice inwall di-pole KEF speakers. I was also able to install those above and just outside of my main speakers close to the ceiling. What a difference a good speaker made there! I love the way my movies sound in our room! I do not think I want to go back to just the 7.1 sound.

I also really like having the ability to setup my two SVS 16-46 pc+ speakers. They have never sounded this good before! And that is saying something.

I think that if you have the room and can set up a 9.1 system, go for it and see if you like it. I found that in my room with my setup it is awesome. By the way, my room would not support a front width setup, so I did not even try that.

Jeff

#30 · (Edited)
Bambino,

I have a dedicated room, it is 14x18. The french doors are on the wall of 14' wall and the other 14' wall has my equipment shelf and dvd shelf. I took some pictures before I put in my front height in-wall speakers.

tershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=6321]
[/URL]

As far as room correction software, yes, it made quite a difference. I have a bunch of glass shelves that reflect sound in my room and my placement of speakers (rear and rear centers) isn't the best.

Jeff Aguilar

#32 ·
Just getting them up correctly.

Jeff

#34 ·
My take on Dolby prologic IIz.
If your looking for a huge new sound you won't find it with the new prolocic IIz. I have used monopole direct firing speakers up there and well ok it added something but very little. Then I used some very good bipolar speakers up there and that was much better. You must remember the NON-Directional sound of the height speakers and using a more diffused ambient sound was a better fit. NO I still did not hear those jets over top my head. What I did hear was , as some have said, a must taller front sound stage and using the much better bipole
up there really opened up the stage, as if I was in a huge listening hall ( this I like) the regular front speakers still offered up that directional sound needed at times when the action moves right off the left side or right side.
So I do like the new setup. It's just that the wording of height speakers leads us to believe that pin point sound of jets will fly over you in a 3 dimensional space, NO they won't, BUT close your eyes and think BIG Auditorium instead. Please remember to use good speakers up there and not just any old thing you had around from an old system. Most of the time you won't hear a thing because most of the audio is in that center speaker but just wait until the movie opens up to a full scale scene with a lot of actions or sounds. Remember your ahead of the curve on this. Nothing coming out of Hollywood is being produced with Prologic IIz in mind, unless it's a Dolby Demo disk. Who knows what will the future bring or when. For now you will just open up the front sound stage.

#36 ·
I am glad you like your 5.1 and your completely right, I think everyone would take a free 9.2 with all the trimming and new speakers with free installation if they were offered this. I waited a long time but ALAS nobody called to give me all this so I had to pay for it myself, but this does not change the fact that I do like this setup.

to each his own.

#37 ·
I am running Audyssey DSX wides right now and it does make for a bigger soundstage. I need to go back and listen to some clips with the wides turned off to see if it really does make a huge difference or not though. I know in my last house wides made the transition from the front to the back more seamless and worthwhile but in my new home the jury is still out. I have not tried heights but that would take more set-up and another pair of amp channels, maybe one day as I do have all the hardware to try it.

#38 ·
nothing has the same impact then going from 2ch to 5.1, that was the BIG THING. Adding some space in the back or adding some front heights or both does add a bigger sound stage but it's not like your adding 3 times the WOW factor. Yes it costs more for speakers and a better receiver but it does add to the home theater quality sound. It depends when your budget allows for it. It like poker, you can't go " all in, all the time" just when the timing is right for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.