Has Surround Sound Been Forgotten? - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Audio Processing
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 13470 - Replies: 226  
Old 01-06-11, 11:40 PM   #161
Shackster

Since: Dec 2010
Re: Has Surround Sound Been Forgotten?

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me asking a slightly off topic question, but still related to surround sound

This is with regards to 7.1 discrete channel DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD Bluray disc. When such 7.1 discrete channel are on the disc, what are the speakers that are expected from the last(?) 2 channels. Are they meant for the rear speakers?

I am curious because what happens if someone set up their 7.1 speakers as front height? In this case, will the the last two channel be ignored (assuming that no processing eg II Pz or Audyssey DSX invoked) as no rear speakers are hooked-up, so there are no sound from the front height speakers?

Then, what happens when using either Dolby Digital IIPz or Audyssey DSX? Will the AVR send the sound from the LSurround & RSurround channel to the front height and not make use of the last 2 discrete channels? If that is the case, using front height speakers with DD IIPz or Audyssey might not be an optimum choice for 7.1 discrete channel Bluray disc and its better to wire it as rear?

Thanks a lot and if this is seems like noob question - yes, I am a complete newbie to Home Theatre.

Last edited by viccmw; 01-07-11 at 12:30 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-11, 12:05 AM   #162
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill
Since: Sep 2008
Newcastle Australia

Quote:
viccmw wrote: View Post
Hi,

Hope you don't mind me asking a slightly off topic question, but still related to surround sound

This is with regards to 7.1 discrete channel DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD Bluray disc. When such 7.1 discrete channel are on the disc, what are the speakers that are expected from the last(?) 2 channels. Are they meant for the rear speakers?

I am curious because what happens if someone set up their 7.1 speakers as front height? In this case, will the the last two channel be ignored as no rear speakers are hooked-up, so there are no sound from the front height speakers?
I believe the 7.1 is two front plus centre, two side surround, 2 rear and 1 sub. There may be a market for receiver manufacturers to offer the front high as an option at the expense of the rear channels, and I think this would be a viable option once movies start adding the front high channels for some room setups.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-shelf.html

Old 01-07-11, 02:40 PM   #163
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jim
Since: Apr 2009
Ohio

This is mostly a question for Sir T, but curious what other people would say as well:

With all the discussion of surround and whether it's over-used, under-used, and examples where it's done perfectly.

In mixing, it seems like selecting the level of the front channels would be relatively simple - in terms of dialogue and most content........ how are levels (when mixing) determined when mixing surrounds? It seems like it would be very subjective in determining the proper levels. You might want most of the effect coming from the front, and maybe SOME coming from behind or the sides...... but is that mostly just what sounds good to the re-recording engineer during the mixing?

The movies that I've been disappointed by - it's been complete lack of surround -- and I can't say that I've heard movies that I have anything bad to say about the surround levels (too high or too low).

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on whether the mixed level of surrounds is ever incorrect? Or is there even such thing? Who is to say that a sound coming from behind you should be louder or quieter..

Old 01-07-11, 03:53 PM   #164
Senior Shackster

Glenn
Since: Jul 2010
Beckley, WV
My System

What determines if a soundtrack is done correctly is if it sounds natural, like if a certain scene/situation sounds like it would out in the real world.
It is correct if it helps to take you out of this world and put you in the movie, but you don't want it to distract you either.
Hard balancing act fot Sir T and others like him.

Old 01-07-11, 03:56 PM   #165
Senior Shackster

D
Florida

Quote:
Sir Terrence wrote: View Post
LOL....Let me know how you liked the sound track. Constructive criticism is always welcomed
My criticism could only be "subjective" .

The last Disney,well....Pixar film I watched was WALL.E and I thought is had great sound as well as picture.Come to think of it, only A Bug's Life fell short of sounding right to me of the CG animated flicks that I have watched.I don't watch to many of Disney's live action films,but from what I remember,the first Narnia didn't disappoint in the sound department,so your in luck!

You might get a kick out of this.Home Theater Magazine is reviewing the Atlantis Technology AT-1 loudspeaker with H-PAS in this month's issue and one of the comments was that it has amazing bottom,but the major flaw, lack of matching center and surrounds.

Old 01-07-11, 04:05 PM   #166
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco
Houston, Tx
My System

Quote:
Drudge wrote: View Post
My criticism could only be "subjective" .
Ouch Drudge..... Very, very ouch.....

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build

Old 01-07-11, 04:13 PM   #167
Senior Shackster

D
Florida

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
Ouch Drudge..... Very, very ouch.....
Actually I'm just poking fun at myself,since what I hear is really only my opinion based on my set-up.

No need to take it seriously Dale.

Old 01-07-11, 04:29 PM   #168
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco
Houston, Tx
My System

Quote:
Drudge wrote: View Post
Actually I'm just poking fun at myself,since what I hear is really only my opinion based on my set-up.

No need to take it seriously Dale.
I really didn't at all, just joining in the conversation. I've been out of pocket for a couple of days and was just catching up and having some fun.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Shiva 12" Build

Old 01-07-11, 04:49 PM   #169
Senior Shackster

D
Florida

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
I really didn't at all, just joining in the conversation. I've been out of pocket for a couple of days and was just catching up and having some fun.
Fun is what it's all about!

Old 01-07-11, 05:24 PM   #170
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco
Houston, Tx
My System

Quote:
Sir Terrence wrote: View Post
LOL....Let me know how you liked the sound track. Constructive criticism is always welcomed
Narnia has great sound, now those guys that worked on Harry Potter are a different story....

Regards,
Dale Rasco

Shiva 12" Build

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Audio Processing »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »