Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Audyssey/SPL meter question

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Nikolay 
#1 ·
Hello

I tried to search the audyssey thread but could not find answer....
So after running Audyssey (Onkyo 706) other than the speaker size, should I leave the settings alone OR set speaker distance manually and set speaker levels using my Rat Shack SPL meter...

Thanks for your help....

:help:

#2 ·
If you ran Audyssey correctly and read more than one position (mic on a trypod, at ear level, pointed up) you should leave the settings alone as Audyssey will not necessarily adjust to what the actual distance is. The only setting that you may want to adjust is the sub.

#3 ·
Well, to put it another way, Audyssey sets the distances to compensate for the time delay in each channel. That real time delay is the sum of the delay due to actual distance and the delay due to electronic processing. Thus, what Audyssey sets is something you cannot easily assess any other way.

#4 ·
After running Audyssey on my Onkyo, only 3 things usually need to be adjusted.

1) Turning OFF the DYNAMIC EQ, which is automatically turned on.

2) Readjust the speaker's crossovers. Onkyo will often set my tower main speakers to 80hz, and my smaller center and surround speakers to 50hz.?

3) Readjusting the SUB level. 99% of the time Audyssey/Onkyo sets my SUB level too hot.

But all other settings such as distance and main/surround speaker levels work well in my situation.

#5 ·
After running Audyssey on my Onkyo, only 3 things usually need to be adjusted.

1) Turning OFF the DYNAMIC EQ, which is automatically turned on.
Agreed.

2) Readjust the speaker's crossovers. Onkyo will often set my tower main speakers to 80hz, and my smaller center and surround speakers to 50hz.?
Mebbe. Did you ever measure their response?

3) Readjusting the SUB level. 99% of the time Audyssey/Onkyo sets my SUB level too hot.
Not in my experience.

But all other settings such as distance and main/surround speaker levels work well in my situation.
Agreed.

#15 ·
I also appreciate Dynamic EQ and leave it on always. I have no use for Vol so always off.

#16 ·
I just re-ran Audyssey and found crossovers set at 40 main, 90 center, 70 surround. I reset to 60 main, rest at 80. Checked levels with RS meter and found surrounds 74, mains and Center 71, subs 72. Reset all at 75, subs 77. I use Dynamic Volume on medium when watching with my wife or late at night, otherwise it is off.

#17 ·
Funny you say that Audyssey sets your sub too hot. In my Marantz it always sets the sub too low and the surrounds too hot. I have to go and set levels with my spl meter for them to be right.

#18 ·
After running audyssey all my channels are set too low. I always have to use my spl meter to reset levels to 75db.

#20 ·
Nikolay
After running Audyssey setup my mains are at 70db and my surrounds are at 69db. My subs are set to about 66db. So I manually adjust all levels back to 75db. This adjustment will have no impact on filters resolution set by Audyssey.

#21 ·
Are you using internal test tones to adjust levels or external CD/DVD with test tones? I am using internal test tones (those which are available in Onkyo GUI), but I think that is not correct, because after applying Audyssey EQ speaker levels could be changed. Probably because of that Audyssey calibration procedure set speaker levels to different values. WDYT?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.