Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide Discussion Thread

130K views 492 replies 52 participants last post by  AudiocRaver 
#1 · (Edited)
Discussion Thread for the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide.

Audyssey MultEQ is a room- and speaker-tuning technology that is built into many Audio-Video Receivers. It is designed to be simple to use with minimal special knowledge, and it is a powerful tool that has smoothed out the sound of many a home theater system. But getting good results with Audyssey MultEQ does take some careful attention to detail. And it is possible to get marginal or even poor results in some situations. The purpose of the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide is to help users maximize their chance of having a frustration-free, successful Audyssey MultEQ tuning experience.

This thread is now open for discussion about the Home Theater Shack Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide.

#131 ·
Great, great article.

I have been using Audyssey XT32 for years

2, PLP, 3 spots are 2 feet from each other on the L & R of 1
4, 5, 6 spots all in front 2 feet of 2, 1, 3
7 and 8 are in between 2,1,3 and 4,5,6
Just like Chris from Audyssey says.

Today, I thought that I would give your layout a try

I could not believe it. After I ran audio from Prometheus, War of the World, I was very surprised. It did sound better.

How can that be? I have always measured as Audyssey recommended.

Strange that Audyssey would not have suggested your settings

m

#167 ·
I also have used XT32 for several years always following the suggested mic positions but I tried your suggested #8 position & I could not believe the improvements in both frequency response and Imaging. Many thanks Wayne its much appreciated.

#134 ·
Wayne, let me help you out.

To print the Guide (at least using Internet Explorer, not sure about other browsers), simply click on the Thread Tools button and select View Printable Version. Then scroll down to the several spots where Wayne has placed the "Do not open..." warnings and click the Show button. After showing all the hidden content, click on the Printer icon in the IE Toolbar to print the entire Guide.

Text Font Line Technology Screenshot

#133 ·
JimShaw: I believe Audyssey chose to emphasize the simplest approach likely to satisfy the most Home Theater users, leaving other options for advanced / Pro Kit users. We chose to include details that could enhance Image Clarity and Soundstage for those wanting to try it.

Some have suggested it creates a result overly sensitive to listener head position. This will depend on speakers, room, furniture, & personal preference, but at least now you have the option to try it. Glad you like the result.

#135 · (Edited)
JimShaw: I believe Audyssey chose to emphasize the simplest approach likely to satisfy the most Home Theater users, leaving other options for advanced / Pro Kit users. We chose to include details that could enhance Image Clarity and Soundstage for those wanting to try it.

Some have suggested it creates a result overly sensitive to listener head position. This will depend on speakers, room, furniture, & personal preference, but at least now you have the option to try it. Glad you like the result.
That is very understandable and possibly so. Better to set up an arrangement that would be simple to measure and would appeal to most of the Audyssey users.

"Some have suggested it creates a result overly sensitive to listener head position."
This I don't understand. The head is were the ears are. Are they saying the sound should surround the body vs aiming directly at one's head?

#136 ·
As a new user, I'm not very familiar with some of the characteristics of the Forum and, for a while, I couldn't figure out how to print out texts. However, I finally found the "Printable Version" option under the "Thread Tools" menu and was successful in downloading the document. Whew! It was 40 pages! It would have been a real chore to copy and paste all those pages, so I was really happy to get it as a single download. I put it in a binder that is now on the shelf in my Theater Room with other manuals.

Thanks for providing this useful document to forum readers!

#139 ·
Thanks for the guide, I tried it and have been very happy with the results with my Denon AVR2809. I have an untreated family room full of hard surfaces where I have tried it and have a much better result with better frequency response and clarity. I think I will rerun YPAO on my other system and try a similar microphone placement. It will be interesting to hear the result. Thanks again!

#154 ·
hi guys. just wondering , if i have two mains and two subs, would that be classified as near field listening. The reason why i ask is because i want to calibrate the mains using multieq xt. Im on a bed and am a foot and a half from the rear wall. Just curious as to which graph to follow in the audussey setup guide. thanks.

#155 ·
'nearfield' is a reference to your physical proximity to the speakers, not how many of them you have. Generally speaking, if you're within about a meter then you can consider that nearfield.

#160 ·
Earlier today I got the change to run Audyssey but only 3 out of the 8 positions because the kids showed up. Just awhile ago I tried it again but when it got to position 4 it would not continue and said it's because of ambient noise.
The problem is there is no ambient noise.
I turned AC off and removed wall clock etc and it keeps mentioning ambient noise.
I have the Onkyo 805 model.
Has this happened to anyone before?

#170 ·
no, leave them at 100Hz or even 120. I highly doubt they go lower than that so changing it to 80 would only put frequencies in those speakers that will push them to hard.

#176 ·
Just to clarify I should not use 101 for multi channel rooms? If not what is the diagram I should follow?

#178 ·
As already has been said, this is a fantastic thread and there simply cannot be enough thanks to AUDIOcRAVER and others who have contributed.

All of the mic diagrams, info and graphs are very valuable for us novices and newbies.

If possible, and if I may be so bold to suggest it, this thread might also benefit from adding Audyssey's mic diagrams as a reference and to also provide newcomers and novices one stop shopping when googling "best Audyssey mic positions" trying to find the best positions for 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 set ups.

Upon finding this thread I thought the 101 diagram's mic position suggestion was for the best possible room correction (EQ) for surround sound. I didn't realize it was more focused on two channel sound. Only upon further reading did I see that fact posted.

Anyway, again, great thread and thanks again to everyone who contributed anything valuable to it especially AUDIOcRAVER.
Your point about including Audyssey's standard mic patterns as a reference is a good one. I hope to be doing an update after the first of the year. I will consider including something like that.

As to the usability of the 101 pattern for multi-channel, how well that will work depends on many factors. Where there is more variation between different seat positions, using the 101 pattern tends to give good results right at the listening position and results that are not as good farther away. Where there is less variation, the 101 pattern works quite well for all listening positions. One thing to remember, where there is a lot of variation between listening positions, the standard Audyssey mike patterns tend to give a result which is kind of mediocre all across the area. It makes everyone equal, but equally mediocre. So the question for that situation is, do you want the primary listening position to sound good and not worry about the rest, or do you want all positions to sound equally mediocre?

I am NOT being sarcastic, it truly is a choice for you to make as the home theater host.

#177 ·
As already has been said, this is a fantastic thread and there simply cannot be enough thanks to AUDIOcRAVER and others who have contributed.

All of the mic diagrams, info and graphs are very valuable for us novices and newbies.

If possible, and if I may be so bold to suggest it, this thread might also benefit from adding Audyssey's mic diagrams as a reference and to also provide newcomers and novices one stop shopping when googling "best Audyssey mic positions" trying to find the best positions for 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 set ups.

Upon finding this thread I thought the 101 diagram's mic position suggestion was for the best possible room correction (EQ) for surround sound. I didn't realize it was more focused on two channel sound. Only upon further reading did I see that fact posted.

Anyway, again, great thread and thanks again to everyone who contributed anything valuable to it especially AUDIOcRAVER.

#181 ·
Hey guys. Finally had a chance to re-run Audyssey since I first got my Marantz A/V8801 and since finding this great thread.

After doing some online research which led me to some important Audyssey facts and using the useful and helpful info in this thread, my system is sounding great.

I have a small to average size living room where my H.T. system is set up.

Many here know this but I'll state it for novices and newbies. One thing I was reminded about (when discussing crossover/bass management) and that may be mentioned somewhere in this thread is that LFE and bass is NOT the same thing. LFE is a separate and independent Low Frequency Effects track that's outside of the normal bass content in movies, music and other media. Given that fact, realize that your individual speaker crossovers and your LFE LPF crossover point are different things. The FAQ section of Audyssey's website states that the LFE LPF setting should always be set at 120Hz. I didn't know what the LFE LPF setting did when I saw it in the setup menu and was a little confused since I had already individually set the crossovers from my speakers to my sub. It was set by default at 80Hz in my Marantz but I've since changed it to 120Hz before re-running Audyssey.

I used the 101 diagram mic positions with minor adjustments to positions 1-4 due to my particular set up and I'm very happy with the sound. Coherent, lively and effective. I'm sure a real pro or someone with much more Audyssey experience could squeeze a little more performance out of my system but I'm happy.

Watched portions of two different concert blu rays and they both sounded fantastic. Individual instruments were easy to discern and the music sounded full and fun.

I then watched the opening battle scene from Master and Commander on blu ray at reference level (0 db) and HOLEEEEEEE!! It sounded (how it was meant to sound) like splintered wood and debris was flying around my living room and the booms from the canons were tight, punchy and most importantly completely gratifying in the most entertaining HD sense.

I hope everyone else that comes here looking for help with Audyssey and mic positions achieves similarly great results by whatever method (Audyssey's or the ones outlined here).

Happy holidays to everyone.

#197 ·
Pardon the slow response, several projects going on, in catchup mode, etc., and some of this has probably been answered...

I used the 101 diagram mic positions with minor adjustments to positions 1-4 due to my particular set up and I'm very happy with the sound. Coherent, lively and effective. I'm sure a real pro or someone with much more Audyssey experience could squeeze a little more performance out of my system but I'm happy.

Watched portions of two different concert blu rays and they both sounded fantastic. Individual instruments were easy to discern and the music sounded full and fun.

I then watched the opening battle scene from Master and Commander on blu ray at reference level (0 db) and HOLEEEEEEE!! It sounded (how it was meant to sound) like splintered wood and debris was flying around my living room and the booms from the canons were tight, punchy and most importantly completely gratifying in the most entertaining HD sense.

I hope everyone else that comes here looking for help with Audyssey and mic positions achieves similarly great results by whatever method (Audyssey's or the ones outlined here).
Wonderful! Great movie sound really is delightful. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi guys, first post here. I can't wait to get home to try the close mic pattern from this guide as I have been using the Auddessey one with my Denon X4000. One question: if I have 4 seat HT recliners and usually watching a movie with my seat reclined for comfort zone, does that mean my PLP for the first mic postion is where my head is when the seat is reclined (I assume but thought I would ask here). if so, does that mean it will not sound as good when I watch a movie with my seat upright which is about at least a two feet swing from reclined? What do you suggest as far as the first mic positioning with recliners?
Again a big THANKS to Audiocrave for taking lots of time experimenting and writing up such a wonderful guide. :hissyfit:
Using the recliner-up mic positions while running Audyssey MultEQ setup will give a result that should work well for the recliner either up or down while listening. The result should be more friendly to surrounding LP's also. That is how I would do it.

Another tip, take a soft, fleecy blanket, fold in fourths, lay it over the back of the chair while Audyssey setup is being run and leave it while you use the chair. It will cut down reflections and improve imaging & soundstage even more.

Make it my second post here. In addition to what mentioned, don't you need to place all of your subs at the same exact location one by one with spl meter at the exact distance to each sub to ensure a proper gain match due to room acoustic? after obtaining this 90dbs for each sub at this same location (in the middle of the room may be), then move them back to their final positions.

One question on gain match: What if the final level set by XT32 is sub 1=-1db and sub 2=-9db (due to it being nearfield as compare to sub 1 sitting way upfront)? Does this mean even though both subs are gain matched originally, sub 1 will have to work a lot harder as it is set 8db louder than sub2 to deliver the same spl to PLP which is kind of defeating the gain match? What if I want to run both sub 6dbs hotter? Raise sub 1 to 5db and sub 2 to -3db? If so, I am actually now pushing sub1 even more. I am trying to understand the logic here. Thanks.
Setting up subs is not my strongest area. Your logic looks sound through this process, setting sub volume control first, then AVR/Audyssey MultEQ gain to compensate for distance. Yes, the subs that are farther away have to work harder. Running sub level hotter can push the hottest one pretty hard.

EDIT Just caught myself not being thorough. Reading AustinJerry's post completely that you were referring to, it looks like your process is the same as his with a step added that is basically overkill. Theoretically your added step adds some refinement that could make that level matching a little more accurate. But the benefit is probably small enough to not be worth moving the subs around. I am going to defer to AustinJerry on this one, he is highly knowledgeable and experienced with subs and Audyssey both. I am sure his method is as thorough as it needs to be. END OF EDIT

Per #7:...plus points for 2 other LPs. In my case, it will be 4 feet away from position 1 PLP center. Is that okay?
Yes if the variation at that point relative to the PLP is minimal. If the sound is very different, move it closer to the PLP.

Audiocrave, do you happen to have any graph comparing placing mic at the center point to front LR speakers versus placing it at my seat which is off center? I know you recommend center point to front LR which means my first mic will be on my right armrest between seats.
Anyone here with similar seat positioning (off center to front LR) plays with placing mic at the center point to front LR speakers versus placing it at your seat which is off center? what do you find?
I am sure I will try both to hear it for myself but want to hear your thought on this. Thanks.
No comparison graph, only listening experience. With the even number of seats, either setup mic pattern position is a compromise. If you strongly prioritize sound at the PLP, and two-channel listening, try the setup mic pattern at the listener's head location. It might or might not give satisfactory results at that offset position. My honest thoughts? Re-do that row of seating to an odd number of seats with the PLP in the center. Seriously. You asked.:huh:

For cinema only, pattern 101B as shown will give good results.

#182 ·
Hi guys, first post here. I can't wait to get home to try the close mic pattern from this guide as I have been using the Auddessey one with my Denon X4000. One question: if I have 4 seat HT recliners and usually watching a movie with my seat reclined for comfort zone, does that mean my PLP for the first mic postion is where my head is when the seat is reclined (I assume but thought I would ask here). if so, does that mean it will not sound as good when I watch a movie with my seat upright which is about at least a two feet swing from reclined? What do you suggest as far as the first mic positioning with recliners?
Again a big THANKS to Audiocrave for taking lots of time experimenting and writing up such a wonderful guide. :hissyfit:

#184 ·
Make it my three straight posts after reading the guide and discussion here. My room falls in to the picture 101B category with my seat being off room center to the left of position 1

From the guide '101, 101B, 102 - Best Image Clarity and good frequency response coverage. All dimensions are relative to PLP Center (PLPC):
1-PLP center
2-3 inches forward
3-3 inches up
4-3 up & 3 forward
5-3 inches left
6-3 inches right
7-plus points for 2 other LPs (except 6-point MultEQ)
For 101B, first four points are relative to the high seat back "wings," the rest are relative to the seat back'

Per #7: plus points for 2 other LPs. In my case, it will be 4 feet away from position 1 PLP center. Is that okay?
Audiocrave, do you happen to have any graph comparing placing mic at the center point to front LR speakers versus placing it at my seat which is off center? I know you recommend center point to front LR which means my first mic will be on my right armrest between seats.
Anyone here with similar seat positioning (off center to front LR) plays with placing mic at the center point to front LR speakers versus placing it at your seat which is off center? what do you find?
I am sure I will try both to hear it for myself but want to hear your thought on this. Thanks.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.