Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sling TV

Tags
sling tv
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nova 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has much information about this new service from Dish Network.
Heard a little blip on NPR on the ride home from work tonight, sounded like it could be an interesting new service for a reasonable price... maybe.

Can't find any info on Dish Network's site.

#4 ·
I used the sling box for years along with there apps for phones. It was pretty good.
I have the dish hopper with sling built in now. You just go to there mydish.com website or use the dish app on your tablet/pc to stream live tv or on demand shows. Works great.

#7 ·
Got my invitation this week and signed up for a 7 day trial. I don't watch much TV as it is but could see ESPN/2, HGTV and the Food channel being popular in our household. Cartoon Network is ok, but my kids are closer to the Disney Channel target audience I think. CNN is not my cup of tea either, but it's there. So far I've just viewed via the iOS app. It feels more like watching live TV and channel surfing than, say, Hulu or Netflix. You pretty much watch what's on now. I wouldn't say I'm hooked but I like the premise and it seems to be pretty well executed. Just in time for March madness :)

Edit: just wanted to note that Airplay is not currently available for the iOS app. It can be viewed via web browser though, which opens up a few more options. Supposedly Amazon Fire TV support is in the works.

Edit 2: browser streaming is not supported, but there is a desktop app for Windows and OS X.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.