What was your first Home Theater setup - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 09-17-08, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
My System
What was your first Home Theater setup

In another thread it was brought up and I thought what a great discussion topic.
So, what was your first Home Theater system and when did you buy it?

My first system consisted of a Yamaha E300u surround processor bought new in 1989 that had 35watts per channel on the rear, center and front effect channels I had to use a carver receiver 6250 to power the main channels as it only had pre outs for them.
The E300u only had Dolby pro-logic and Yamaha's famous surround modes like theater, Hall, stadium and more, they worked really well and a friend of mine still uses it today.
For the first little wile I used some self powered Bose Roommate speakers for the rears and a small set of bookshelves for the front effect channels. For my mains I used some LXI speakers made by Sanyo that are still working today.
For the display I used a Yamaha 27" monitor that was $1400 and a Toshiba 4 head HiFi VHS deck that cost me $1200
I bought a Yamaha CDC 805 CD 5 disc player that I still use today.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 09-17-08 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 16 Old 09-17-08, 04:51 PM
Elite Shackster
Re: What was your first Home Theater setup

It was a Sony (I still have it, but one channel is not working; I already fix it one time) ... I don't recall the model, but is two separate units ... One has the tuner, tape and CD player and the bottom part is the subwoofer

It uses one cable between units and speakers are connected through the sub ... this was an open box deal at "Montgomery Ward" ... I purchased the surround speakers separatelly because they were missing (Pioneer set that I still have too) ... I need to get rid of some stuff I been accumulating during the years
post #3 of 16 Old 09-17-08, 07:53 PM
Elite Shackster

I got my first DVD player, an Aiwa XD-DV-370 for my birthday with The Matrix on DVD. I ended up with 2 RCA outputs to my 27" television, two speakers out of that connected to some speaker terminals, an RCA out of the television to my computer amp, and four more speakers connected to that. They were factory car speakers, and had no enclosures. That is the first HT I put together myself. If you were counting the first HT experience, It would have to be one of the frist rear projection televisions made by magnavox. I used to open that thing up and focus/align the CRT tubes before I could ride a bike. I think it was a 55" but not sure.
post #4 of 16 Old 09-17-08, 11:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Send a message via MSN to sparky77 Send a message via Yahoo to sparky77

I would have to say back in 87 I had a Pioneer reciever with so called surround sound, it was more like a 4 channel matrix that seemed to always have the surrounds running with just an echo effect. Had it hooked up to an old 24 inch console tv with stereo sound outputs that I picked up at a rummage sale for 20 bucks because the internal speakers were blown. Had the system hooked up to 4 realistic minimus 77 speakers and a 8inch passive sub. Still have the minimus speakers and am planning on refoaming them and using them as my surrounds till I build some custom diy's.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-18-08, 12:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Denon AVR 1600 powering a pair of Monitor Audio MA201. Boston Acoustics VR5 dipole surrounds and a Paradigm CC6 ceter channel. A Paradigm PB110 powered by a NAD 912 amp. A Panasonic VCR as source. Grundig 34" 4:3 CRT tv. That TV was HUUUUGE!

Most of that kit is still in daily use. I've upgraded a 'bit' since then, but much of it is still usen with friends and relatives. Have some good memories from that kit.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-19-08, 08:20 AM

The first multi-channel setup I had of my own was a Sony HTIB. Don't remember the name, the speakers were pretty small, 3' oblong drivers I think, with a sub that's still in use at my parents place and a receiver that's still used by a friend of mine. I think I paid about $350 in 1999 and it was a great system for that price.

It was the first time I'd really listened to a sat/sub combo and was amazed at the size of the sound.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-19-08, 11:18 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hmmm,... really don't remember all the details but, it was a Kenwood rack system I bought in Okinawa sometime in 1987. Basically a HTiB before the HTiB Of course it was four boxes, one for the rack, one for each speaker, and one big box with a bunch of little boxes inside that contained the components. It was based around a KM-205 or 206 or maybe even 207 amp (just can't remember the numbers), separate control amp, tuner dual cassette deck, turn table, separate graphic eq. and KL-A900 speakers, I also added a pr. of Bose 601 Series III. A TEAC 4 head Hi-Fi VHS and a 19" Mitsubishi CRT.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-19-08, 11:52 PM
Senior Shackster
Well, i thought it was a home theater at the time

I had a sherwood stereo receiver with surround outputs that just added echo to the signal, pro logic didn't exist. The source was a mono vhs vcr using a y cable.
Front speakers were the biggest ones i could find at the local store, they had two 15 inchers and a tweeter, i dont think the tweeters worked. Surrounds were my first diy project, i ripped the drivers out of an old ghetto blaster and mounted them in 2 litre plastic ice cream containers.

The display device was a 10 inch black and white tv.

Beat that!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 16 Old 09-21-08, 04:30 AM

My first one was a Pinoneer dvd player, an AWIA two channel amp, a sharp 480x640 lcd projector and some DIY 4-way speakers.

This thread reminds me that I should update my equipment list as it has changed several times since.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-25-08, 11:53 PM

AHHH my first time, I remember it well...sorta.

I had a Pioneer Pro Logic model reciever, Panasonic dual haed Laserdisc, Panasonic HIFI VCR, a matched set of JBL's all around and a Kenwood remote powered sub with all MIT cables and a 32' Sony Trinitron which I thought was really great cause via remote you could spin the stand to adjust viewing angle..............my how the times have changed! The 6th week of DVD players release in I think 1998 I bought a $800 Panasonic model that also did Karoke, now a $39 unit is better!

home , setup , theater

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page