Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Painting the room Black, just seems wrong.

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  davimill 
#1 ·
Right now I feel certifiably insane. Anyone remember the first time they bought black paint and started painting the room Black?! This just seems wrong for some reason. All my life I have painted rooms white, cream, almond, ... and tried my best to make them look super nice like a model home. And now I find myself painting over the white walls I so carefully painted about a year ago, all because I caught the projector bug! So out comes the TV and in with the 120" AT screen. Since this is my first build, will you help me with a question I have? I don't have access to rigid fiberglass. I want to put some on the wall behind the screen. What else can I use? I read that someone used Roxul? If so, do I need to cover the Roxul with black fabric? Can I use the pink stuff? I can go about 12 inches thick.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I work in a theatre, so black walls don't feel as foreign to me as that do to others. But the first time most people get themselves into a space that doesn't have light-reflective surfaces, it's unnerving.

The black panels on the powder-blue walls look really nice. I like the contrast there. Perhaps this throws me into the crazy bucket with the rest of you, but I think darker panels look better than lighter ones... even if it isn't a high contrast with the background color.

Question for the OP: Is that a gloss black, or is the paint still wet in those pics?

#5 ·
The paint was still wet. It's Flat Black. Things are progressing, slowly but surely. I picked up some black burlap today to cover the Roxul.

Attachments

Reactions: NBPk402
#8 ·
I love that feeling. Good to know about dark red.

#11 ·
Very few people have the courage to paint black. Most people live in a conforming world of beige or white (yuk). The black will look WAY better. Use some cool lighting tricks will be very unique. Halogen down lights will give you puddles of light on the floor to see where your walking. I would not use any scatter lighting at all. Keep it dim and dark.

#13 ·
I agree that black is an unattractive color for a home theater. When I built mine, I searched the Internet for a suitable paint and found Munsell flat gray water-based vinyl paint. It is specially formulated to have a spectrally flat response without any color bias. It won't change the color of the image on a movie screen (no tints in it; only black and white in the mix). It comes in three shades of gray: light, medium, and dark. I chose the medium shade (Standard Gray Neutral 7), which looks great. It is rather expensive, though; about $95/gallon.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.