Yet Another "Cutting the Cord" - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #11 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 11:02 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Yet Another "Cutting the Cord"

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
That's good news - I already have and use JRiver for music, so double duty for video is possible; but I don't plan on configuring or using a HTPC. Is that a deal breaker? Please explain exactly what you mean by "Media Center in each room." TIA!
What I meant by a Media Center in each room is we have Kodi boxes in each room we want our media.

Quote:
Lumen;1472145y wrote:
And therein lies the rub. So many choices are daunting. Please answer me this... Aside from manually switching sources, what are the pros/cons of just using your smart TV to find media?
The new SiliconeDust tuners are compatible with new TVs with the RUI feature. Our new Samsung has this too. What I have found out is that if you use the HDHomeRun tuners with the TV it takes longer to access the channels and doesn't offer a guide. If you use a Kodi box you get a full channel guide, and you can record tv shows with it. The Kodi boxes i have run about $100 each, but this allows me to access our NAS for all of our recorded media too (something we can not do with just the TV).

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 11:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I was looking into cutting the cord last fall but after much research found some of the ideal options you have in the US are not available here in Canada and others got costly in a big hurry. Internet is not cheap here but we do have really good internet infrastructure. My entire city is fiber optic now but because of the low population base in Canada as a whole the cost is much higher.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #13 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 12:09 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I was looking into cutting the cord last fall but after much research found some of the ideal options you have in the US are not available here in Canada and others got costly in a big hurry. Internet is not cheap here but we do have really good internet infrastructure. My entire city is fiber optic now but because of the low population base in Canada as a whole the cost is much higher.
What are the costs like, and performance?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #14 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 12:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I pay $120 a month for internet, TV (includes most decent HD channels including local channels and PVR) and home phone. Internet is rated at 150 Mbps

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #15 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
thrillcat wrote: View Post
There are many different philosophies on cutting the cord.

I went with TiVo and an antenna. Yes, there's a monthly fee, but it's a far cry from what I was paying for satellite.

If you get a 'master' TiVo unit for one room, you can then get 'slave' TiVo Mini boxes for the other rooms and not have a monthly fee on the Minis. This setup does, however, require all devices to be connected via ethernet, but it's a great setup.

The TiVo will include your Netflix, Amazon/Prime, Hulu, Vudu, and more accounts when searching for content, which is REALLY nice when you're trying to find something specific. Or, did your local channel break-in to cover weather during the last 10 minutes of your favorite show? That's cool, delete the recording and if it's on Hulu or any other provided streaming service, it will show up immediately and you can finish via stream. Just now realizing Aquarius is a great show? No problem, when you set up your season pass to record it, it will automatically tell you that season 1 is available from Netflix, so you can binge that quick before you continue watching season 2 via the antenna.

The Bolt is 4K. It's fast. It's really a great starting point, depending on what you need, it may be a one-box solution (plus your blu-ray player). It's the closest thing to an off-the-shelf all-in-one I've found if you want to have an antenna & DVR. Outside of TiVo, you're building a home theater PC for this much.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, thrillCat. You're not a TiVo salesman in disguise, are you (lol)? Actually, this option sounds mighty attractive (except for price as you mentioned). Hmmm.. maybe an old PC converted for HT use isn't such a bad idea. I'll need to consider this option more seriously. Oh my, more

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #16 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I pay $120 a month for internet, TV (includes most decent HD channels including local channels and PVR) and home phone. Internet is rated at 150 Mbps
Is that in Canadian $

post #17 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 01:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Is that in Canadian $
LOL yup, so about $95 US

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #18 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 01:37 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed explanation, thrillCat. You're not a TiVo salesman in disguise, are you (lol)? Actually, this option sounds mighty attractive (except for price as you mentioned). Hmmm.. maybe an old PC converted for HT use isn't such a bad idea. I'll need to consider this option more seriously. Oh my, more
Haha...

No, I'm not a TiVo salesman, though I was a beta tester before it hit the market, and except for the few years from when they separated from DirecTV and when I cut the cord, I've been an owner ever since.

It's just a very seamless setup. I've no doubt that a PC could do everything and more, but I don't need the hassle of setup and maintenance of a PC. I don't want to have to research everything and make sure drivers don't break things or conflict with other equipment in a custom box. This is hassle-free. My last TiVo, which is still functional, was almost 6 years old when I upgraded to the Bolt. It never died, it never crashed, I was just, well, 6 years old. The Bolt is faster and has more features. 6 years is a pretty good life for a $99 box, even with a $10/mo fee.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
What I meant by a Media Center in each room is we have Kodi boxes in each room we want our media.

The new SiliconeDust tuners are compatible with new TVs with the RUI feature. Our new Samsung has this too. What I have found out is that if you use the HDHomeRun tuners with the TV it takes longer to access the channels and doesn't offer a guide. If you use a Kodi box you get a full channel guide, and you can record tv shows with it. The Kodi boxes i have run about $100 each, but this allows me to access our NAS for all of our recorded media too (something we can not do with just the TV).
Expanding on your welcome feedback:
My website learning spree tells me Kodi is software that runs on different hardware platforms (ARM, Google's Chromebox, Windows x86 PC). Your SiliconeDust - what a cooool name! - HDHomeRun tuner is also one of these. You can use Kodi and associated hardware almost in plug-n-play fashion (i.e. more set up than a TiVo system), but with more control over the GUI/searching experience, correct?

Now here's where it gets fuzzy for me:
AFAIK, the HDHomeRun tuner is only for OTA streaming. I assume you also subscribe to a service like Netflix, so that must mean your Kodi boxes are not HDHomeRun types, which are listed for $60 direct. Is there a product called "Kodi box"?

post #20 of 29 Old 07-08-16, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
thrillcat wrote: View Post
I've no doubt that a PC could do everything and more, but I don't need the hassle of setup and maintenance of a PC. I don't want to have to research everything and make sure drivers don't break things or conflict with other equipment in a custom box.
My sentiments, too. My hobbies just spread me thin; currently a massive effort to transcribe my vinyl to HDD, and set up a PC for dedicated music playback via NAS. So I'm leaning toward TiVo, but am still weighing options.
ellisr63 and thrillcat like this.