Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

The Epic Home Theater Photo Critique Thread

Tags
critique epic
57K views 344 replies 29 participants last post by  Gdaddy 
#1 ·
After years of running the Facebook feed, I've gathered hundreds of home theater photos...I've kept a lot of them. I thought it would be fun to start posting them here – one at a time – to start a running critique thread.

I wish I had gear notes on them... I don't... so hopefully some of you will recognize the gear and chime in... but also chime in with comments/critiques about the design and execution! Some are going to be wicked awesome...some are going to be...uh... questionable. :R

The pictures are numbered (starting with picture #3)...so if you'd like to add a picture of your own, please do! Just make sure you check the numbers and mark it appropriately! ;-)

So Critique Away!

Let's kick it off with this one:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125233&thumb=1

Attachments

See less See more
#170 ·
Nice use of space. You can never be too close to the screen, this way he will notice 4k. 0:)
I understand why he did the surround speakers so high up and I guess I could live with that. On the plus side this owner could add surround speakers at close to ear height and keep the ceiling speakers for atmos.

And again what is up with the center channel. I'm starting to hate center channels even more. Also I have no clue what is up with the speakers on top of the speakers. My guess is the small speakers match the center and he upgraded to towers. In any case the owner could use those as sides and do a "nice" 5.1.4 system.

This room will be very live, but since it looks like neighbors will be on the other side of the wall, I don't imagine movies will be played too loud.

#171 ·
Ya, #17 should be turned so the long wall is the screen wall but I guess it depends on what is behind the camera if that would even work.
The bookshelf behind the couch would be bad for reflection points. The window to the left of the room is also going to be hard to black out and lastly the rear surround speakers are shooting into the top of the shelving unit so cancellation would be an issue.

#173 ·
Number seventeen looks like an apartment room setting. I do like the fact that the main room there is the home theater room. Great use of space. Hopefully he closes the blinds or curtain or whatever he has for the window when watching on the projector.

#174 ·
I would look for a better solution to the surround speaker setup. They won't perform very good there. Those speakers on the mains look like the leftovers of package deal. I find it interesting how people place speakers that they don't know what do with. A rug would probably help with the liveliness a little. Good to see the couch away from the wall, though the experience would benefit from it being out farther, but that might cause trouble in setting up the front speakers. The angle almost makes the screen look 4:3. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#176 ·
It's a bad situation from the getgo. But we have to live with what we have. The window wall, tile floors, glass top coffee table (nice catch Spidacat). I think it looks as good as it can get. I would advise some free standing absorptive panels, a retractable curtain for the entire window wall (acoustic as well). As already said, a large area rug (would add some acoustical carpet padding under it) & I would just move the coffee table out of the way during movie time.

#180 ·
For number eighteen, it is way over the top of course! But, I would love to have it. The drawback would be how expensive it will be to build that room!
I am sure high end speakers and projector are being used here so I suspect the home theater experience will be excellent.

#181 ·
#18-

I wouldn't want to own it, but I'd love to know the owner so I could visit every now and then for a movie. It's way overkill for my tastes, but I have to give credit to anyone with the passion and the means to pull something like this off. Like I said, it's not for me, but it is executed to a T. It is perfectly done, and looks amazing.

#182 ·
Astonishing amount of time, thought and money invested to create an almost surreal experience. Very well done, for the individual who is really into Batman of course. For me personally it's excessive and way over the top, but I applaud the creativity and execution of the theme.

#184 ·
Probably looks like Wayne manor!
This room looks exquisitely done, and like Jim said, you'd have to LOVE batman. I think themes are cool too, Todd, but if I had enough money what would it be? The inside of U-571, or syndromes lair, a WWII era battle scene recreated in the house? Or maybe inside lighting McQueens trailer? Ah hah! Frankensteins lab! Guess I'll never know. Still enjoying this thread.

#188 ·
Number 19 looks good to me but why put the refreshments area in the room? Lot of light from that area and would be distracting, I would think.

#190 ·
I feel like 19 is built for the overall vibe more than actual performance. It feels like a theater, but I wonder how it performs on the audio front. My guess is the home owner wanted a theater in the house that gave the overall experience, with the focus on feeling like you drove down to the cineplex. It is beautiful, and probably a lot of fun. I love "Robots" too.

#199 ·
Beautiful room, but too much light reflection from the ceiling and light reflecting surfaces adjacent to the screen. Suggest adding flat black velvet the first 2~3 meters on the ceiling in front of the screen and some black clad sound absorption panels at the first acoustical reflection point.

Kenreau

#194 ·
Number 20 looks very nice and clean. I like the ceiling all black and there are plenty of seats. I can't tell from the picture where the speakers are. If they are in the front (blended with the wall color) or if they are in ceiling (blended with the ceiling color).. Either way, looks like a great room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.