Planning a home theater set-up - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-16, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Planning a home theater set-up

Hi guys,

I was planning for a home theater set-up. Due to space constraints I am planning to go with MartinLogan Motion SLM-XL as L/C/R set up for the speakers. I would really appreciate suggestions on a suitable AVR & Subwoofer. Current ones which I am inclining towards are SVS SB2000 Subwoofer & Yamaha RXV579 or RXV779 (due to 4K upscaling). Any alternate & better suggestions from you guys would be really helpful. I will need a 220-240V power source due to the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-16, 12:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Planning a home theater set-up

Without knowing room size, budget, equipment restrictions, personal preferences, and the like it will be extremely difficult for anyone to give you suggestions. There are just too many different potential combinations.

You also mentioned 220 volts, which implies you probably aren't in the US. Where are you located? That will definitely impact your options.
Alan Brown and Tonto like this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-16, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi,

I have attached the room size available - yellow highlighted portion (roughly 3.5 mtr x 2.6 mtr (the setup will have to stay against the small wall). An issue could be that it is open on one side, with only 3 walls. It opens up into another section of the house, which cannot be covered. So I will have to work with the existing room setup. I doubt it could have some serious issue in obtaining a desired output from any system setup.

Now my wife is not going to allow me to keep any standing or column speakers, she says it's gonna look congested, which I feel is right . The only option left is in-wall or wall mount speakers. The wall is solid brick wall, so I am not very sure about an in-wall setup.I was also planning to go with a Sonos set-up, but am not very keen.

I am from Kuwait & hence 220-240 V issue. The options for speakers are very limited in Kuwait & even with these limited options costs are ridiculous. I can get the same thing for lesser price from overseas + shipping costs, would eventually be almost same or even less.

I am looking at a budget of $ 2000-2500 (excluding shipping, which is going to cost me another $500-750, but still OK, I will get what I want). If you have any suggestions for anyone with better overseas shipping options, please let me know.

Revised thoughts - After carefully analyzing the available room space (which I never did until now), I am in double minds whether to spend so much for too small an area. I might go with a smaller set-up for the main TV room as shown in the picture & convert another closed room into a music room, where I can listen to my music (I do not want a TV here, will be out of budget...).I have 2 spare rooms available - 3.5 mtr x 4.2 mtr & a smaller one 3.2 mtr x 3.75 mtr...

OH MAN ! I AM A MESS OF UNFINISHED THOUGHTS ! PLEASE HELP
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a home theater set-up-area-home-theater1.jpg  

post #4 of 14 Old 09-06-16, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Is your budget for speakers, sub, and AVR?
post #5 of 14 Old 09-06-16, 12:50 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Is your budget for speakers, sub, and AVR?
His budget might be hard to follow as two $500 items might end up being $600 or $1200.
The best plan of attack might be just to keep it as cheap as possible.

The first thing I would change is to go with a PB1000 for sub as that is an open area.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-16, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Currently I have kept the budget as below:-

Speakers - L/C/R - $ 1500
Sub - $ 500
AVR - $ 750
Total - $ 2750 to $ 3250 max

Being in Kuwait, shipping is going to cost me extra. One current issue would be getting Sub/AVR compatible to 220-240V / 50Hz
post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-16, 05:41 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
syamspillai wrote: View Post
=Revised thoughts - After carefully analyzing the available room space (which I never did until now), I am in double minds whether to spend so much for too small an area. I might go with a smaller set-up for the main TV room as shown in the picture & convert another closed room into a music room, where I can listen to my music (I do not want a TV here, will be out of budget...).I have 2 spare rooms available - 3.5 mtr x 4.2 mtr & a smaller one 3.2 mtr x 3.75 mtr...

OH MAN ! I AM A MESS OF UNFINISHED THOUGHTS ! PLEASE HELP
You should finish this thought before proceeding. Until you know what you want to achieve the system will be a moving target that you'll likely never hit. Once a direction/result is clear, then the products should be considered.

Quote:
syamspillai wrote: View Post
One current issue would be getting Sub/AVR compatible to 220-240V / 50Hz
That may be less of an issue then you realize. Most electronics today have the ability to simply flip a switch and go from 110v/60Hz to 220v/50Hz.
Todd Anderson and ellisr63 like this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-16, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

I agree with Jim. Nail down exactly what you want, then we'll go from there.

Don't be afraid to pull together a full-blown system. It's do-able with your budget!
post #9 of 14 Old 09-07-16, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. I have decided to go with my initial plan itself. Keep a total budget of up to $ 3000 (excluding shipping). Space concern - A full-blown system in the given area (3.5 mtr x 2.6 mtr) with an open space, is it going to give a good desired effect?
post #10 of 14 Old 09-07-16, 09:25 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Are you dead set on the ML speakers?