How do you listen to your music? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: How do you listen to your music?
Good quality headphones 0 0%
Dedicated two channel system 10 18.18%
Theater system in full sorround 8 14.55%
Theater system in Stereo mode 22 40.00%
Theater system in Pure direct mode with no sub 4 7.27%
It depends on where I am in the house 10 18.18%
I still use my Sony walkman from 1988 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 21 Old 02-21-10, 03:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: How do you listen to your music?

I hear a lot of it on the 2.1 system attached to my PC (PSB 400i bookshelves and a B&W sub).
For surround-sound music, my 5.1 rig is in the bedroom (where most movies happen). Paradigm with a Velodyne Sub.
Then there's the custom 2.0 system in the family room. I don't think I'll be able to match tember the fronts, so I don't know that it will ever be used for surround listening (ever = in the forseeable future).

And, of course, the car.

Don't presently have a set of phones I like enough to put the added effort of using them in.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 21 Old 02-24-10, 12:36 AM
Senior Shackster

Strictly 2 channel with tube pre amp, I am by far a more serious guy about music and while I have done every level of surround for almost 20 yrs now never have I invested so much time, research or energy into surround............well not as much as the music side but both have been costly fun. My room is dual use dedicated for music and movies and really the only reason I went to a Projector was to get the screen out of the way of the speakers, it happened to also be a huge pic done for alot less then general public assumes but it was born from a music first goal.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-24-10, 08:48 PM

I use my cheapo $50 speakers from walmart (sounds really good for the price paid actually) but then I hook up my dayton quatro qt385-4 to a sundown amp to shake the house =D
post #14 of 21 Old 02-24-10, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster

I listen on my 2-channel system (well, technically a 2.1 system) but more and more it's mostly in my car.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-28-10, 06:04 AM

There are five separate component setups in my small, modest house . I was tempted to vote that it depended where I was, but the HT setup has the best front speakers so that's where I usually go for serious listening. The projector must be off though. Too much fan noise.

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-SR702 AVR, Infinity IL-60s & IL-36C, DefTech PF1500 sub, CSW The Surround 5.1 x 2, Draper Cineperm 92", LG PF1500, Behringer BFD, Sony BDP-S570, Pioneer Elite DV-49AV Universal player, Dish 622, Pioneer PL-3000 TT, AudioTechnica AT95E cartridge.

Stereo:Denon PMA-630 integrated amp, Technics SL-1300 turntable, Shure M97xE cartridge, Toshiba SD-4960 universal player, Infinity Overture 3 speakers, TEAC 3300 tape deck.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-05-10, 03:13 PM
Senior Shackster

That's a tough question, as I listen to music in several ways. I have my 2-channel system upstairs for when I am in the mood for background music, I have a nice little headphone amp and some cans I enjoy for electric guitar/rock, my car stereo that I like for old metal on long drives, and my main system that I use for more critical listening (that's my HT system). I also have my computer speakers that I listen to all the time when I am writing/researching.

I answered HT/Stereo, but, like I said, its a tough decision.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-05-10, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
My System

I should have made it possible to select more than one choice, But I cant change that now.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #18 of 21 Old 03-26-10, 11:31 PM
Senior Shackster

It depends.

In the living room, as background, I use 7ch stereo mode on the AVR, as it makes the sound more even around the apartment. If the source is 2ch, I listen 2ch. If it's a concert DVD, I use the 'best' format on the disc.

Most of my music listening is done late in the evenings, so I use my STAX headphones.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-27-10, 12:03 AM
Senior Shackster

When I am downstairs I listen music/watch movies 80%/20% of the time. I like listening to both my two-channel system and my HT system in stereo; they each have their strengths. The two-channel system has a vivid, 3-dimensional soundstage and produces sound with great realism. The HT system has great dynamic response, can play down to 20Hz with just the front subs, and sounds fantastic.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-29-10, 03:03 PM

I have a spare room in the house I have always wanted to turn into a 2 channel paradise. Only thing stopping me right now is proper funding. It will happen though. I prefer 2 channel though.

listen , music?

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page