What could cause this to happen...? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-07, 10:23 AM
Methodical
Inactive

What could cause this to happen...?

Hello all. I have a strange occurrence. On some occasions when a light switch is turned on the satellite is interrupted (goes blank) for about 1-2 seconds. After it occurs 1 time, it does not do it again with that particular switch. Lately, I've noticed it happend with another light switch. I think (not positive) that one of the light switch is on the same circuit. What could be the problem and how can it be resolved? I have the tv and DBS plugged into a surge protector (inexpensive monster one).

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-07, 02:52 PM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

Re: What could cause this to happen...?

My guess is you have too many things plugged into the same circuit and so you don't have enough amps available for everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-07, 09:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

”Amps” being amperage, not amplifiers...

That is a pretty strange problem, though, especially since it’s intermittent. A good way to check if it is indeed the circuit maxing out, try it after making sure as much stuff that you know of on that circuit is turned off, then running as usual. You might also try connecting to DBS to a known different circuit with an extension cord, just for troubleshooting purposes.

Regards,
Wayne
post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-07, 11:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

I've noticed audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds on digital TV when a light switch is activated. I have recently added a Thor power filter/surge protector and haven't noticed it since, I will test tonight.

Harrym
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-07, 06:16 PM
Methodical
Inactive

Quote:
Josuah wrote: View Post
My guess is you have too many things plugged into the same circuit and so you don't have enough amps available for everything.
That was my first thought to but there's nothing else plugged in any of the outlets though. Also, it only happens when I turn on the lights which I know the builder have outlets mixed with lights on the same circuits. I plan to do what Wayne suggested and see if it stops.

I wonder if it's the surge protector doing this.

Update: I checked the circuits and the light switch that causes the intermittent problem is on a separate circuit while the other is on the same circuit. The circuits are no overloaded. Uhmmmmm.

Last edited by Methodical; 01-08-07 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Additional info.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-07, 06:18 PM
Methodical
Inactive

Quote:
Hakka wrote: View Post
I've noticed audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds on digital TV when a light switch is activated. I have recently added a Thor power filter/surge protector and haven't noticed it since, I will test tonight.

Harrym

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-07, 08:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

Forgot all about it, will try it tonight.

Harry.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-07, 10:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

Maybe your internal wiring is bad, if a current in one circuit is affecting the signal in another circuit? Or you have issues at the breaker box?
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-07, 03:17 PM
Methodical
Inactive

Quote:
Josuah wrote: View Post
Maybe your internal wiring is bad, if a current in one circuit is affecting the signal in another circuit? Or you have issues at the breaker box?
I tested the outlets and they are grounded ok. I am going to remove the surge protector and see if it stops. For some reason, I think it's the surge protector.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-07, 08:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

Tested it last night, no dropouts at all from any light switch in the house. I have all my mains power filtered, the antanna is not filtered.