Options? Behringer 2030p vs. 2031p or a - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Options? Behringer 2030p vs. 2031p or a

Hello,
Through many forums discussions, with all of you being so helpful, I still have one dilemma.

I was really looking at the Onkyo 807.

Now, I can to the conclusion that I was going to use the 2031p. But, these are 4ohm speakers. Now, the 807 says it is 4ohm certified, but is this receiver "sufficient" to run these speakers?

If questionable, i'll just go with the 2030p or the 2031A's (if I can do that)

Not entirely sure why I need a 2031A if I have a good receiver, but no one has been able to clearly say if I can get the full performance out of the 2031p's using that receiver? This 4ohm issue is bothering me.

Surprised there is no speaker grill? Does that matter for anything other than aesthetics?

Thanks

(I was sticking with the 807 since can get a good price with factory reconditioned). But, if there is a better receiver out there for about $500 that would be okay with the 2031p's, please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 01:38 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Options? Behringer 2030p vs. 2031p or a

Quote:
alewisdvm wrote: View Post
Hello,
Through many forums discussions, with all of you being so helpful, I still have one dilemma.

I was really looking at the Onkyo 807.

Now, I can to the conclusion that I was going to use the 2031p. But, these are 4ohm speakers. Now, the 807 says it is 4ohm certified, but is this receiver "sufficient" to run these speakers?

If questionable, i'll just go with the 2030p or the 2031A's (if I can do that)

Not entirely sure why I need a 2031A if I have a good receiver, but no one has been able to clearly say if I can get the full performance out of the 2031p's using that receiver? This 4ohm issue is bothering me.

Surprised there is no speaker grill? Does that matter for anything other than aesthetics?

Thanks

(I was sticking with the 807 since can get a good price with factory reconditioned). But, if there is a better receiver out there for about $500 that would be okay with the 2031p's, please advise.
The 2031 series is best in a setup that has no sub. 2030 is best for one with a sub. They don't have grills because they are monitors designed for studio use. The difference between a grilled speaker and a not grilled one is negligible. The A's are active with internal amps. They are unnecessary if you have a receiver. For most people the best option is the 2030p.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

So, if I don't care about the look without the grill, and I may have it inside a cabinet packed for sound anyway, it doesn't matter I guess.

So, I currently have a older JBL PS120 100W sub. I didn't think that would be enough. I was going to add a second sub? It sounds like I can stick with the 2030p's, use the JBL. Any suggestions for a decent sub to match all of this?
I believe the Onkyo 807 has 2 pre-outs for subs. I guess that means you CAN connect 2 subs?
post #4 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
So, if I don't care about the look without the grill, and I may have it inside a cabinet packed for sound anyway, it doesn't matter I guess.

So, I currently have a older JBL PS120 100W sub. I didn't think that would be enough. I was going to add a second sub? It sounds like I can stick with the 2030p's, use the JBL. Any suggestions for a decent sub to match all of this?
I believe the Onkyo 807 has 2 pre-outs for subs. I guess that means you CAN connect 2 subs?
A second sub would be hindered by the JBL sub. You'd be better off upgrading the sub later.

However it will still probably have better bass than the Behringers would have.

A good sub costs a little change though.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Does behringer have a good matching sub?
I think someone once suggested a SVS sub?

What would go with the 2030p's?

I was planning on 2030p's for 2 fronts, use one as a center, maybe 2 for rear surround. Got mixed opinions on using a 2030p as a center, but the behringer's don't make a center?
I was even considering 2 more 2030p's as 2 higher up on entertainment wall fronts.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 02:24 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Does behringer have a good matching sub?
I think someone once suggested a SVS sub?

What would go with the 2030p's?

I was planning on 2030p's for 2 fronts, use one as a center, maybe 2 for rear surround. Got mixed opinions on using a 2030p as a center, but the behringer's don't make a center?
I was even considering 2 more 2030p's as 2 higher up on entertainment wall fronts.
you might get something smaller for surrounds, but SVS does make great subs.

Subs need not match since they cover different frequencies than the speakers.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

For about a 13' x 13' size living room, although directly connected to kitchen area, with viewing distance from tv/speakers of about 12 feet, what would be suitable wattage for the sub?
post #8 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 04:01 PM
Generic
Inactive

Wattage can be over rated because they never tell you the sensitivity of the sub driver being used. If you can't afford a SVS sub, maybe this would do. http://www.amazon.com/BIC-PL-200-Aco...8877892&sr=8-1 It uses a BASH amp and the Hsu Research team helped design it.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 10:30 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
For about a 13' x 13' size living room, although directly connected to kitchen area, with viewing distance from tv/speakers of about 12 feet, what would be suitable wattage for the sub?
For a sub you have to count any open space connected because subs pressurize the entire cavity for effect.
Most people are impressed with almost any sub on the market. Wattage isn't as helpful as brand name. SVS is probably the safest bet for a subwoofer. If you are looking used. Look for Velodyne, HSU, and SVS. All 3 are very good brands.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-10, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Wow...That BIC PL200 is incredible. Not sure I could afford the SVS options unless I could find a good refurbished or quality used product.

lsiberian:
Any opinion on the use of the 2030p's as a set of 4 fronts, one as a center
versus
Using the SVS bookshelf speakers and matching center?