TV over Phone line, Thoughts? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-11, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
TV over Phone line, Thoughts?

Our phone company is now offering TV over the phone line the packages include a lot more HD channels than my current cable provider does. has anybody had any experience with it and is it as good quality as cable?
My big concern is bandwidth, as i would most likely switch over everything (phone, TV and internet)

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-11, 09:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-11, 10:39 AM
Shackster
hwkn

Re: TV over Phone line, Thoughts?

If it's anything like Uverse[which I have btw] it should be pretty good as far as picture quality goes.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-11, 01:24 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It depends on where you are. I would try to find someone in your area using it to get some first hand experience.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-11, 03:23 PM
Shackster

TV over twist pair phone lines can be sketchy if the outside plant is old. I have done pair conditioning for AT&T to make this technology work and in newer subdivisions where the cable and splices are fairly new it usually works pretty good. However, if you live in an area where the phone cables and splices are older, like 30 + years old, this technology doesn't work very good. In cases out here where they offer Uverse service and the TV signal through the twist pair is lacking due to old ratty splices in the cable, they usually put a dish on the house to accomodate the TV service that they offer.

Now this technology would work over the older cable if they would spend the $$$$$ to rebuild or rehab the old ratty splices and throw new sections where the cable is questionable in the entire cable span. But they don't do that as a general parctice.

Other phone companies out here like Verison,(used to be called GT&E) Frontier(used to be called Citizens Utility) and Surewest (here used to be called Roseville Telephone) offer fiber to the house for these services and the TV quality is superb. I have cable TV/Internet and it comes a fairly close to second place when compaired to fiber to the house.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-26-11 at 03:34 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-11, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I would assume that they have installed a fiber optic system.
yes, this is my understanding. They call it Telus Optic TV

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-11, 06:17 AM
Shackster

BIG'EN

I just switch from TW cable to Surry TV which is offer by the local phone company. It is a digital signal pipe in on the telephone line. It is not listed as HD but still shows up as 1080i. The picture is slightly better regular cable and the sound quality is ok but only two channel. They are in the process of installing fiber-optic cable so I hope HD is on the way. Just my two cents hope it helps.

BIG’EN

I TRY TO THINK, BUTT NUTHIN HAPPENS !!! NYUK NYUK NYUK