MP3 Integration to main system - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > AV Home Theater
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1955 - Replies: 14  
Old 07-05-07, 12:27 PM   #11
Shackster

Jared
Since: Aug 2006
Re: MP3 Integration to main system

I have laptop with usb sound card and an external hard drive with all my media on it.

The laptop sends its video out to my projector, and I can watch TV, movies or even browse the net.
I have around 80gigs of music, moslty in FLAC. I rarely spin a disc these days. Iuse Foobar 2000 as my media player and I can create any playlist I need.

When I want to take my music to the shop patio or vehicle I just take my 30gig Ipod (rockboxed - to allow flac playback) and plug that into the respective stereos.

Works great!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-07, 02:06 AM   #12
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

bob
Since: Feb 2007
Houston, TX

What ive used for ages is a simple htpc with decent sound card running winamp. Now what I do is map a network drive to the actual computer holding the music (or just simply put all the music on the htpc). Additionally, I install a nifty plugin called WAWI, and I can build the playlist, change tracks, control volume, etc from any networked computer through a simple web interface. Ive actually used this in combination with shoutcast to access my entire mp3 collection at work over a streaming connection. The main benefit to using winamp is the massive amount of plugins that are available, and if you can hook it up to the video input, it makes for an awesome visualization for parties.

Old 07-09-07, 11:09 AM   #13
Elite Shackster

OJ
Since: Oct 2006
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Bob, I've always liked Winamp, and that's what I have used in the past, just with a long headphone extension cord and a splitter into my stereo. I might just stick with this for a while until my indecision settles.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Old 07-09-07, 10:14 PM   #14

Soundoctor
Since: Jun 2007
Clearwater, FL

Here's an approach.
Inasmuch as I have a lab full of equipment to test, generally mess with, etc, what I actually listen to is I have a dual core machine with a pleasant realtek board; there are twin 500G drives, and my CD' and vinyl are simply ripped at 320k. There are simply separate folders for rock, classical, jazz, electronic and 'other' and it's organized in a heirarchy I like, since I did it!

The line out goes into an Aphex 204, then into a pair of M&K 1611P's (crossed over at 80) and a JL audio f112 or f113 sub.

Whether playing some background Chopin, or the latest nickelback at 115 dB, all I can say is you should see the looks on people's faces, and many are speechless for hours...!

Let's put it this way: after setting up sound systems for nearly 50 years, I simply like it! I can find any of my favorites in seconds, and it's enjoyable!

Barry

Old 07-11-07, 08:51 AM   #15
Elite Shackster

OJ
Since: Oct 2006
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Barry, that's what I like about having the PC as my music player, no matter how good an interface is on most components or portables, there can be a lot of scrolling involved that just can't match the efficiency of some good ol' point and click.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > AV Home Theater »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »