Home theater visit with forum buddy... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-06, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Home theater visit with forum buddy...

I thought I'd share a summary of my experience when I visited forum buddy JimP's home this past week. Jim was kind enough to trust me with his Yamaha receiver and a couple of very nice speaker stands to use as I review the SVS SBS-01 5.1 Surround system.

You know when someone tells ya they live on Olympic off Jasime Hill... just past the lake... it's gotta be nice. I'm not sure which was more impressive... the home or the home theater. Of course Jim is a of a nice guy too! I've been chatting with Jim for about two years or so I suppose. I think we actually first started chatting at AVS in the HDTV thread for Alabama. Anyway... we've kept in touch since we started and we've threatened getting together several times... finally we did. This is actually the first time I've been able to hear and see another HT forum buddy's home theater. I've seen some of Rodny Alvarez's system but I've not ever sat down and had a listen after he finished... I'm sure I will eventually.

I was immediately impressed with Jim's setup. He has everything arranged very well. He went over most all of his equipment with me and then we watched and listened.

One thing I got to see in action was the Velodyne SMS-1 sub eq. It was simple for Jim too hook up his mic and display the response graph on his Sony 60" Wega. He has his Velodyne HGS-15 dialed in quite nicely.

Jim has Atlantic Technology 8200's in a 7.1 configuration powered by a Rotel 1095. He uses the B&K Ref 50 for the brains and the main source is the Denon 5900. Once again... all of this I was seeing and hearing for the first time.

We started out by watching a little bit of War of the the Worlds. Truly awesome! Those subs really did the trick in his room. The bass was low and there was no problem handling WOTW. The surround panning was equally impressive... very smooth.

Then a real treat was a DVD concert he had mentioned to me on the telephone when we were chatting. Celtic Women (pronounced with a K). This selection of Irish tunes was arranged by the same guy that directed Riverdance and it was truly spectacular. Beautiful women with beautiful vocals. I have ordered it already. He'll get a listen to Sarah Brightman when he visits here... he's bound to like her too. His system really showed off these beautiful ladies vocals.

We then got to watch a little bit of Gorillas in the Mist in HD from his cable company as well as we browsed through several of the HD channels. Needless to say the Sony was showing off.

We ended up listening to little bit of Alison Krauss and the Union Station CD. Again his system shined.

I'm not one to use a lot of fancy words when describing the way something sounds, so I'll just say that Jim apparently knows what he's doing. His setup was super nice and it sounded great to me. I didn't get to see his projection system, but the Sony 60" LCD was well enough. Not only did he seem to have his sound system dialed in, he also had that Sony on the money with its image.

All in all a great visit. I can't wait for Jim to visit our home and help me make sure I've got system all setup correctly.

Check out Jim's toyroom listing here... being a professional photographer, maybe he'll share some pics with us soon.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-06, 12:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: Home theater visit with forum buddy...

Thats excellent. That would be a great way to learn about different systems and equipment. When I was researching projectors and was trying to find a place that demo'ed the BenQ someone on another board invited me to there house to see there system. After the visit I ordered the projector. I'd pay it forward and do the same if anyone in the area wanted to drop by.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-06, 12:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Thanks for the high complements. It was a pleasure having you over.

Looking forward to the opportunity to hear and see your system. I have a hunch that your ribbon midrange speakers are going to tempt me into another speaker upgrade. aaargh
post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-06, 09:14 PM
Brian Bunge
Send a message via AIM to Brian Bunge Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Bunge

That's really cool! I love getting together with other members. I did this several times when I lived in Atlanta. If there happens to be any members in the Central Florida area that would like to swing by my place they are welcome any time. My system is pretty much in limbo right now though. We can watch a some movies and listen to music but I'm strictly in 2.1 mode right now. Since I fixed my Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD TV Friday night (no thanks to Pioneer whatsoever) that's been down for almost 3 years I at least have video again so I'm really excited.

People can also see my center channel and surrounds in progress right now.

buddy , forum , home , theater , visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page