Sneaking in the good stuff - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 22 Old 03-18-14, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brent L
My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Sneaking in the good stuff

Most of my audio system has quietly just magically appeared in the rack. Speakers have gradually grown bigger over the years. I have even moved the equipment into the back room totally out of site.

My wife is truly happy listening to her iPhone speaker . She can go from listening to her iPhone to listening to the big system and not blink. She truly just hears music and not the quality of it(or something like that).

If you are one of those audiophiles or HT enthusiasts that have wives(or husbands) that don't value the investment - how have you grown your system? What methods have you used to upgrade? Any good stories?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 10:02 AM
Elite Shackster
My System
I know plenty of people that feel exactly like your wife when it comes to sound.
They install a huge screen along with an expensive projector and powered theater seating and then balk at spending a penny on the audio system.
I don't really get it, but everyone has their own priorities.

I never have to hide any purchases.
I research it and pick two or three options I will be satisfied with, inform Mrs. chashint that I want it and the current prices. Then I wait for the price to fall on one of them and when it does I buy it.
Everyone remains happy and we both enjoy the toys.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brent L
My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Re: Sneaking in the good stuff

Yeah - same with me. None of my non-audiophile friends were impressed with my system's audio quality, unless I made their ears ring with the subwoofer. When I got the projector and big screen I became a neighborhood legend. I guess people these days are tuned to appreciate visual above auditory stimulus.

I am jealous that you both enjoy the hobby to similar levels.

I wonder how may people have their own hidden bank accounts or slush money for upgrades.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 02:16 PM
HTS Reviewer

It's not unusual for people to ask me to recommend a complete audio system (receiver, 5 or more speakers, a subwoofer) priced at about 25%-50% of the cost of their display. With only a 60" display, I think my home theater is a major disappointment to most people who experience it. Sadly, very few even recognize the benefit of my sound system, so trying to impress them with it or justify the cost to them is pointless. But then, I don't see any value in things like designer clothes.

Thankfully I am blessed to have a dedicated HT room in our current home and the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want to it and in it. My wife does not care too much about premium audio (also content listening to music through her iPhone speaker ), but I think she has come to appreciate it a bit more as it gives us a good cinema experience at home. Time and funding are my only limiting factors. I try to minimize the financial impact of a new purchase by selling the component it will replace. For more expensive items, I count on my wife to inject some practicality into the decision-making process. She is very accommodating and usually says either "go for it" or "do we have the money?". She will definitely object when she feels the need. I also try to encourage her to spend money on herself, even if it's stuff I think is pointless.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

my girlfriend has said many times that I can get whatever I want within reason as long as she can get what she wants. She appreciates quality sound and video and understands that electronics need upgrading every so often in order to keep up with technology.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 02:36 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

My purchaces are few & far between. My wife being disabled means we live on my income which has to accomodate her medical bills. It is a challenge but God blesses us well. Getting close to finishing my theater soon...lord willin!!!
post #7 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 06:09 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

If you are one of those audiophiles or HT enthusiasts that have wives(or husbands) that don't value the investment - how have you grown your system?
My wife and I have a joint account for common expenses, but the rest of each of our incomes is each of ours to spend and/or save as we wish.

When my HT was in the main floor family room, we compromised on what was acceptable in that space (and, IMO, my wife was quite reasonable).

When the HT got moved to the newly-finished basement, I pretty much had free reign, limited only by how much of my own money I want to spend.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 09:02 PM
Senior Shackster

My wife is pretty cool about things, in fact, I buy what I want almost when I want. And, I will not hide a dime from her.

However, there's always a tradeoff. That is all I will say.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-19-14, 11:47 PM
Senior Shackster

I buy stuff. It appears. I don't hide how much I spend however I don't say unless asked. After nearly 10 years of being married my wife doesn't usually ask questions anymore as long as the bills are paid. The living room is mine, she gets the rest of the house. It works quite well.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-20-14, 01:13 AM
My System

When the sound/realism impresses your wife the rest is easy.

good , sneaking , stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page