Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Directv vs AT&T Uverse

12K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  asere 
#1 ·
I currently have Directv and the picture is stellar however our contract with them ends this June and we have the opportunity to go with Uverse instead.
If anyone has had both before can you tell me if there is a difference in PQ?
I was told that some providers have weaker PQ than others.

#3 ·

Can’t advise you on picture quality, as I’ve never had AT&T. But I can tell you that if you try to cancel your service with DirecTV, they will do their best to stick it to you. It’s part of their business model: do an internet search on “directv fraud,” directv scam,” directv lawsuit,” and so forth and you’ll find no shortage of reading material and hard-luck stories.

When we cancelled they tried to hit us up for all kinds of bogus fees and charges, and claimed they owned the used DVR we had purchased on ebay, and demanded we “return” it to them!

If you have a direct-payment arrangement using a debit or credit card, you will need to cancel the card and get a new one if you dispute any charges they try to hit you with. If you don’t they will politely take the money right out of your bank account.

Also, if you own your own DVR and have shows on it that you haven’t got around to watching yet, be sure and totally disconnect it when you cancel the service – all antenna, phone and/or internet connections. Everything. If you don’t they can and will blow out all your programs.

Regards,
Wayne

#4 ·
Can’t advise you on picture quality, as I’ve never had AT&T. But I can tell you that if you try to cancel your service with DirecTV, they will do their best to stick it to you. It’s part of their business model: do an internet search on “directv fraud,” directv scam,” directv lawsuit,” and so forth and you’ll find no shortage of reading material and hard-luck stories.

When we cancelled they tried to hit us up for all kinds of bogus fees and charges, and claimed they owned the used DVR we had purchased on ebay, and demanded we “return” it to them!

If you have a direct-payment arrangement using a debit or credit card, you will need to cancel the card and get a new one if you dispute any charges they try to hit you with. If you don’t they will politely take the money right out of your bank account.

Also, if you own your own DVR and have shows on it that you haven’t got around to watching yet, be sure and totally disconnect it when you cancel the service – all antenna, phone and/or internet connections. Everything. If you don’t they can and will blow out all your programs.

Regards,
Wayne
Oh no that's not good at all. I will call them this week and see what they tell me as far as what happens if i cancel since I won't be in contract. I rather know ahead of time if I decide to cancel if I'll owe zero or try to stick me with fees. The question is will the agent be honest.

#8 ·
Depending on how far you are from the VRAD. Depends on how many streams. I got tired of the break-up of the picture during fast motion and confetti drops. That I went with DirecTV. DirecTV will work with you on package savings. Unlike ATT.

After getting nowhere with ATT retention's to try and see if they would keep me as a customer. I left them for both Internet & tv.

What equipment do you have with DirecTV currently?

#23 ·
Until the FCC gives them their graces. There is no completion of this sale. As it stands right now. The regulators are not going to let it happen. Even Comcast is still waiting to get the regulators graces.

All we can do is speculate what may or may not happen. At this point the merger of AT&T & DirecTV may never happen.

#20 ·
I spoke with the DirecTV agent and was told that i won't be charged anything if I drop them.
Now i also asked about the packages to see if we can get the same deal as a new customer would and was told no because we are not new customers.
I think we should be considered new customers if we decide to renew the contract because after all I would be starting all over plus I can easily go with someone else.
They consider you new customer if you drop them and restart months later.

#22 ·
Yes so far DirecTV has been good and we even got $10 off our current package for six months.
I just don't like how when the contract is up and if you renew you can no longer get promotions because you are no longer considered a new customer.
At the same time I'm sure all companies are the same.

#27 ·
If you like the Direct TV service then I would stick with it. If there is something that U-Verse offers that you don't (must) have then that is the only real reason to consider switching. Just my $.02.

BTW - I am an original U-verse subscriber from back in 2006 and while we have our issues are pretty happy with them vs. the alternative "equal" Comcast. Never had satellite service.

#31 ·
A bit (way) off topic but we are scheduled for Google Fiber installation in June. Pretty excited for this and to tell Time Warner to jump off a bridge! As for Directv I had them years ago and had nothing but problems. Still looking for the perfect service and hopefully Google will provide that.

#35 ·
I'm getting ready to get rid if Directv pretty soon because it's outrageously high now.
I was told by a Dish agent that they don't work like Directv were you start losing credits for the dvr, hd etc after year one or 2 .
For Dish subscribers is that really true?

#36 ·
Asere, we've had dish network for 15 years at least. Never heard of credits or anything. Once in awhile for being good customers they give us free movie channels(3 months usually) and rentals. I even called them once when I was feeling like my bill was going up for no reason, and said hey, why do new customers get such an awesome deal, and I've been here for .abcxyz. and nothing? I asked why I shouldn't cancel and then sign back up. They changed my rate on the spot! Never had good experiences with directv. Overall, dish has been great. They've only raised my bill by 5 bucks in about 7years.

#37 ·
That is awesome. With Directv they give you a great deal the first two years then the $10 credit for hd channels expires and the dvr credit expires and you end up paying over $100 for a starter package. I can get Dish for $75 the first year with the 250 plus channels which includes dvr prices and according to them no credit will ever come off just the package price increases. I can live with that just don't tell me I gotta pay more for hd later and such.
Yeah I think I'll make the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.