How do you afford HT... what's your profession? - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
How do you afford HT... what's your profession?

I work a full time job for an airline, plus I own my own auto detailing business. Basically, I work my butt off, putting in 14-16 hours a day sometimes.
Even with all this work, I strugle to afford my addiction the the HT hobby. I've been building my current system for about 4 years now, mainly concentrating on the audio portion. It's not high end equiptment, but it makes me smile

Last thing on my list is a front projector, and electric screen. But it seems I can never get enough money to get those 2 items Even looking around for used equiptment, I just can't seem to get the funds together. Something more important always comes up(clothes for daughter, toy's, food, mortage, etc...)

I see a lot of you guys spending ten's of thousands of dollars on your system, and I'm curious what you do for a living?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 11:23 AM
Senior Shackster
Re: What do you guys do for a living?

A lot of guys have turned to DIY, through the guidance of this site and others, in order to afford more home theater than they could buy at the retail stores. By doing it yourself, you also gain a sense of pride and satisfaction along with a greater understanding of the things you enjoy.

If you're reasonably handy and motivated to do so, you can build your own speakers, sub, PJ screen and entire home theater room. That's not to say it's easy! Just possible. Get to know some other DFW enthusiasts or come down to Houston for our Home Theater DIY meets. I think you'll find that this community is very willing to help.

Regarding the expensive hobby we've chosen, unfortunately that's the name of the game. There will always be more out there that I want and can't afford. Though deal hunting on,, and, you can find some real gems over time.

I'm a cardiology fellow (read: long hours for little money) and a medical officer in the Texas Army National Guard.

Springfield, IL

Last edited by mrstampe; 01-09-08 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added profession
post #3 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 01:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Baby steps. There is no way to get around it ... it's an expensive hobby. Right as I decided to concentrate on the audio, my TV died. I bought a new TV and the audio was on the back burner for a while. Ok, it still is. I have my sub in place, now I want to work on the mains and center.

Most people become HT junkies. You get your first taste and before you know it, it's a full blown addiction. At least I have an understanding wife. Playing with my toys keeps me home. My former hobby was playing with cars. It kept me on the road all the time. I didn't spend as much money on the car as I do with HT, but I was never home. When I was home, I was always in the garage tinkering with the car.

Almost forgot ... I'm a Pro Geek. I'm the AS/400 System Administrator for a manufacturing company. I also own a few websites.

Houston, TX
My Subwoofer Build Page
post #4 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 02:55 PM
Senior Shackster

I am a Scientist. I work for Sherwin-Williams and I research and develop the worlds most advanced coating technologies. Currently, my role is long term development for our Chemical Coatings Division, where we market coatings to the electronics industry( exterior of components, tv's, dvd players, computer housgins, etc...), military coatings, wood and furniture products(both commercial and residential), heavy equipment(John Deere, Cat, etc...), Aluminum Extrusion coatings(Pella and Anderson windows), metal building products, and many other types of coatings. Prior to my current role, I worked for the Automotive Division where I developed paint for the Vehicle Refinsh market and the Aerospace market.

One exciting project that we are working on is a tricked out paint for the Apple iPhone. I'm not personally responsible for this project, but I consult a bit. The coatings engineer for Apple that we deal with was my boss for a while at Sherwin-Williams, so we've got a pretty close business relationship.
post #5 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 03:28 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Re: How do you afford HT... what's your profession?

I had to change up the title of the thread in order to keep it on topic... otherwise it would be a Chat Box thread.

I've never been able to afford it and need to quit spending, but my family does come first. I provide for them and then play. My finance business is my bread and butter profession and then I tinker in a few other businesses. Obviously I spend quite a bit of time here at the forum, but have yet to reap any profits thus far... we seem to be giving it all away.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #6 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 03:42 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

I have done it a little at a time over 15 or more years. I was single for 10 of those years so was able to spend more on equipment then most but now I'm married and the family needs come first. Fortunately for me the wife enjoys the home theater and lets me spend a little on it from time to time.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 04:35 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I have done it a little at a time over 15 or more years.
Likewise for me...Except I've been doing it for over 30 years.
I never had a lot of money and every thing was done on a shoestring budget...

I started out by learning how to build speakers, and then made my own.. Later when I could afford it, I bought some better quality ones..

When I switched to front projection, there was no way that I was going to pay many hundreds of dollars for a I read everything I could find about DIY screens, and then I started making my own screens, trying many different ideas, until I produced one that suited my needs..which I still have..

I don't want to put you off HT, but if you don't have a lot of money to spare, you can only do it over a long period of time..
post #8 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 07:42 PM

Nick I mean this with all sincerity,enjoy what you have because I can guarantee you that there is someone who is drooling over your current set-up.If you could blink your eye`s and have the system of your dreams you probably would not appreciate it as much as say the speakers you have now that you analyzed to death before you bought them. All good things come to those who wait.
post #9 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 08:21 PM
Senior Shackster

I keep blinking ... nothing's happening.
post #10 of 108 Old 01-06-08, 10:20 PM
Elite Shackster

My profession??? ... ... Oh, yeah, is all over the news ... crashing market

Like most .. I'm setting my HT little by little ... looking for bargains to upgrade the system ... it takes time if you don't have a ton of money (specially if you want high end stuff )

afford , ht , profession

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page