Home theater school? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > AV Home Theater
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3879 - Replies: 8  
Old 01-08-08, 02:38 PM   #1

Terrance
Since: Jan 2007
Maryland
I started this thread.
Home theater school?

Where do you guys go to get your knowledge?

I am interested in expanding my understanding and application of Home theater. I know just enough to be dangerous, and can pretty much do a basic HT setup. In addition to trial and error, and the wonderful world of the internet, where would you guys suggest one go to get some "certified" instruction.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-08, 02:46 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
Re: Home theater school?

Most of us have just learn't over the years, I've been into A/V for over 20 years (I stared when I was 14 years old by running sound at my home church) and still learn new things everyday by reading forum posts and just asking questions.
There are from time to time courses that you can take in colleges or done by private companies. You just need to keep your eyes open in the local papers and online.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 01-08-08, 03:06 PM   #3

Terrance
Maryland
I started this thread.

I guess I'm just one of those guys that when I think I need to know something, I feel I have to go to school. I know there is tons of info out there just a few clicks away, but I feel like I need some structured instruction in order prove or validate what I know before I go around putting flyers on my neighbor's doors, professing my "experience" on the subject. Right now, I sometimes install HT and and other home electronics for friends and family. I only do if for them because they trust me putting holes in their walls, but before I stick my neck all the way out there, I feel that there is WAY more for me to learn, and I am not sure where to start.

....outside of the wealth of information here, of course

*I think I have some brown stuff on my nose*

Old 01-08-08, 03:23 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.

It depends on how deeply you want to get into this. There is everything from books,

http://www.home--theater.com/

Amazon.com: Basic Home Theater Installation: Books: Gordon McComb

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...T-for-Everyone

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...able-Installer

to courses that you can take.

http://www.mediadynamicsav.com/

http://www.bedrocklearning.com/course_hometh.htm

Old 01-08-08, 11:03 PM   #5
jvc
Banned!

jvc
Since: Jul 2007
NC

The Avia disc, and the Sound & Vision HT Tune Up disc, goes into some detail on setting up a home theater. Then gives you the colored plastic pieces needed to set your tv up, about as good as you can get it, without calling in a pro. It also gives you the pink noise for calibrating your speakers, with an SPL meter.

Then they give you demo DD and DTS tracks to enjoy.
Some good stuff there............

If you use Netflix or BlockBuster.com, you can get Avia 1 & 2 from them.

Old 01-09-08, 07:41 AM   #6

Terrance
Maryland
I started this thread.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-09-08, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Bob_99
Since: May 2006
New Hampshire

This was a very timely post as yesterday I received a brochure for the adult education courses being taught at the local high school and I was thinking about how a course in HT could be offered. Would it appeal to people and if so, at what level?

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."

Old 01-09-08, 12:14 PM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

We send our installers to CEDIA boot camp and to other training they provide, and have Manufacturer's Reps and trainers come in to keep them up to date. CEDIA is one of the few places to get professional training on this stuff. ISF training is available for video calibration, as is HAA training for audio.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 02-27-08, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

Donnie
Since: Jan 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio - USA
My System

I am also interested in a HT career. But don't want to work for someone else.
Now where to start ? I'm thinking small, knowing I will need to keep my day job. Looking at the prices CC and BB are charging, I'm sure I could easly under cut them and still make some decent $$$ for my time. My thinking is that I have been able to link/hook anything up to my system and should be able to do the same for others.

I was talking to wife last night and she was the one to bring it up, saying a co-worker was asking about our HT and who we had hook every thing up. So I may have my 1st. install job this coming weekend.

hyghwayman

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > AV Home Theater »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »