Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Reference levels

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tonyvdb 
#1 · (Edited)
With this discussion in this thread turning into more of a who's system can play the lowest at reference levels, I wondered what really classifies as reference level. Is it what you hear or does it go all the way into the subsonic frequencies?

I know that the system I have is more than capable to reach reference levels without even breaking a sweat with the exception of the lowest of the frequency spectrum. My second question is, my SVS pb13Ultra cant do 10Hz at reference in my large space. How low is too low, Does a system really need to go below 10Hz? There are movies with uncompressed audio that have frequencies in the 5 to 8Hz range but is there really any need for the studios to make soundtracks that play that low?

#3 ·
Thats a good point, I know theaters dont have speakers systems set up to go that low either so who are they adding this subsonic information for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.