Denon AVR-1713 Receiver Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 1 Old 04-01-13, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System
Denon AVR-1713 Receiver Review

Denon AVR-1713 Review
By Luther Ward

Introduction

When looked upon by someone outside the audio and reviewing community, what I do may seem strange. My wife is the perfect example. She has long since stopped asking, “What are you doing?”, “Why do you do that?”, “Is that a new piece?” and more. Her simple way to find out if I’m going to be reviewing is to ask, “Are you going to woppa woppa?” You may scratch your head and wonder what is woppa woppa? Well, my wife has boiled down the entire reviewing process to what she hears, when the speakers are being calibrated. Suffice it to say, I now find it much easier to just say I’m going to woppa woppa and get on with my reviewing. This time around, I have the Denon AVR-1713 in house and I must say, this is a nice receiver. Here are a few highlights:

• Network functions to play Internet radio or digital music files
• Wireless steaming of your iTunes music with Apple's AirPlay technology
• Power amps with discrete circuits for high-quality sound
• Built-in Audyssey technologies optimize sound quality
• Six HDMI inputs, including one on the front to connect mobile devices
• Front panel USB input offers direct digital play for iPod, iPhone, and USB drives
• Multi-zone operation lets you play two audio sources at once
• Intuitive GUI with large, legible characters and Setup Assistant

Build Quality, Appearance and Functionality

The AVR-1713 is simply elegant in design. Measuring approximately 17x6x13 and weighing just over 18 pounds, everything has the look of quality. Continuing with their “less is more” theme, the receiver has few buttons and knobs, making for clean lines and an impressive look. Starting on the left you have the power button. The center panel has a nice large easy to read display. Just below that are a row of buttons for source select left and right, zone 2 on and off, zone two source, dimmer, status, and some quick select buttons for CBL/SAT, Blu-ray, Game and Network. Across the bottom of the panel is a headphone jack, an HDMI input, USB and the set up mic input. Last on the right is a large volume knob. It has a matte finish around the outside that has a nice feel too it and there are detents you feel as you turn the knob.

If you have read some of my other reviews, you may have noticed I’m rather picky about my remote control. Denon has a lot of things right with this one. There are not too many buttons but enough functionality and ergonomics that make it nice to use. Top this off with a downloadable control app and it is a win win. I just wish the remote was back lit.

Features
• AirPlay
• DLNA 1.5 certified
• Windows 7 compatible
• Internet radio
• SiriusXM Internet Radio, Pandora
• Photo streaming
• flickr
• FLAC HD, High-resolution audio file playback
• Support new "Denon Remote App" to simplify operation by Android & iOS
tablet/smartphone
• Convenient HDMI port on the front for connecting a camcorder or other device
• Pure Direct
• Front display with large, easy-to-read characters
• Less depth for an easier installation
State-of-the-art Denon Solutions for Maximizing Content Quality
• Fully discrete, identical quality and power for all 5 channels (120 W x 5 ch)
• Stable power supply for high-quality sound and picture playback
• High-performance 192kHz/24-bit D/A converters for all channels
• Digitally transmitted Play function for iPod and iPhone (via USB) for best sound quality
• Denon’s proprietary Compressed Audio Restorer, to restore sound quality from compressed music sources

Connectivity & Future-ready Expandability
• Supports HDMI with 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, Auto Lipsync and HDMI control function
• 6 x HDMI in (1 on front panel) / 1 x HDMI out

Ease-of-Use
• Setup Assistant, providing easy-to-follow setup instructions
• Audyssey Dynamic Volume®, for real-time volume adjustment
• Audyssey DynamicEQ, improves surround effects during low volume levels
• Audyssey MultEQ XT, automatically sets the speakers to suit the room’s listening environment and the speakers’ characteristics
• Comes with simple, easy-to-use remote control handset
• Sleep Timer, set up to 120 minutes in 10-minute increments
• Audio level memory, capable of correcting different signal levels for each input device
• Standby HDMI Pass through
• Auto Standby

Others
• Audio Delay function
• Muting level settings (Full/-40dB/-20dB)
• Variable subwoofer crossover switching
• Lower power consumption at stand-by 0.1 W (Standby)

Input/Output Connections

Again Denon has created a nice clean no clutter layout for the back panel. From left to right across the top thee are audio inputs for CBL/SAT and DVD, a single subwoofer out put, audio out for Zone2, digital audio in coaxial for CBL/SAT and optical for TV, network input, HDMI inputs for CBL/SAT, DVD, Blu-ray, Game, Media player, HDMI out, video composite input CBL/SAT and DVD and last for the top row is the composite video out. The bottom row starts with a 75 ohm coax for and FM antenna and then the speaker outputs front L&R, Center and surround L&R. Direct and to the point. Giving you options for what you need and avoiding to much of what you may not.

Specifications

Power Amplifier Section
Front 80 W + 80 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %)
Front 120 W + 120 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)
Center 80 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %)
Center 120 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)
Surround 80 W + 80 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %)
Surround 120 W + 120 W 6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

Preamplifier Section
Input sensitivity/impedance 200 mV / 47 kO/kohms
Frequency response 10 Hz ~ 100 kHz— +1, –3 dB (DIRECT mode)
S/N Ratio 98 dB (IHF-A weighted, DIRECT mode)

FM Section
Tuning frequency range 87.5 - 107.9 MHz

General
Power supply AC 120 V , 60 Hz
Power consumption 390 W
(Standby 0.1 W, CEC standby 0.5 W)
Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 3/32" x 5 15/16" x 12 61/64"
Weight 18 lbs 5 oz (8.3 kg)

Ports  
In  
HDMI(front 1) 6
Composite(Video) 2
Analog Audio 2
Digital Audio (Coaxial) 1
Digital Audio (Optical) 1

Out 
HDMI Monitor 1
Composite (Video) Monitor 1
Audio Preout (SW) 1
Audio Lineout (Zone2 L/R) 1
Phones 1

Others 
Network (Ethernet) 1
USB 1
FM Tuner Antenna 1
Setup mic jack 1

Setup / Auto Room Correction
Setup is straight forward and a breeze to complete in short order. The first part starts with the “Getting Started” manual that begins by showing you what is in the box and what you need for setup. Large picture diagrams walk you through putting batteries in the remote, hooking the receiver to your TV, selecting the receiver on your TV, plugging in the receiver and turning it on.

The on screen setup assistant takes over from here by first asking you to choose a language. Next are a series of screens that take you through, step by step, hooking up your speakers. For anyone who has done this before, it is over simplistic, but for those of you have not, simple text explanations and pictures make sure you get it right the first time. No guessing here. You do what the screen says and you can’t go wrong. This is quite evident by the first screen that explains speaker wiring with positive + red terminals and negative – black terminals.

A series of screens proceed to show you which speakers go with which terminals on the back; starting with the front right and front left speakers. You are asked if you have a center channel and if so, how to hook it up. Next are the left and right surround speakers. You will be asked if you have a subwoofer and if so, where to connect it on the back panel.

Speaker calibration with Audyssey MultEQ XT starts and asks you to hook up the supplied calibration microphone to the front of the receiver. Using your remote control, click “Next” and several screens walks you through the process. The next screen gives you a brief explanation of what is going to happen. You are asked to turn your subwoofer amplifier to half way. You are told to place the microphone at ear level of your first listening position and begin the test.

The actual speaker calibration starts with a series of test tones that emanate from each of your speakers for your first listening position. Even this you can not mess up, because if you forget to hook something up or turn something on, you may click to repeat the test. The test tones continue for each of six locations. You may choose to end the test and finish the setup after three locations have been tested. Audyssey will analyze the data it has taken and store your new speaker settings. For me, the setup was centered a little too far back. While the vocals were good, I wanted more from the front L&R. Easy enough to change manually from the setup screen.

Next up are your input sources. Nothing left to guessing. There will be options on screen for CBL/SAT, DVD, Blu-ray, GAME, MEDIA PLAYER, CD, and TV AUDIO. Use the arrow buttons on the remote to pick the items you want to hookup. Your TV screen takes you through the steps to hook the component to the correct location on the back panel.

Last, but not least, you are taken through setting up your network connection. The setup assistant shows you where to hook your wired network connection. Setup is automatic. Once you hear music playing, your network has been set up. You will be asked if you want to control your AVR-1713 over your home network. I selected yes and downloaded the Denon app to my iPad.

My Setup

For my setup, I used a pair of B&W CDM9NT for the mains, a Martin Logan Cinema center channel, JBL SAT2 surrounds and a Danley Sound Labs DTS-10 subwoofer. For sources, I used an Oppo BDP-83, cable TV box and a Sony Wii game console. For network connectivity, I used a hardwired connection to my router.

Joao Gilberto – Joao

You many have not heard of Joao Gilberto but I’m pretty sure you have heard his wife and didn’t even know it. Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto released “Getz/Gilberto” in 1963. The big hit on that record was "The Girl from Ipanema". Joao’s wife, Astrud, happened to be in the studio. With Stan’s encouragement, she sang and history was made.

I chose this album for the vocals and guitar. Joao has a magical quality in his delivery both timing and the way he almost whispers the lyrics. His guitar works to remind us he is one of the artists that brought us the bossa nova movement. The AVR-1713 did well to deliver the simplicity of the music. From the opening song “I Really Like Samba”, Joao’s voice was clean and clear, the guitar rang true and the subtle orchestral background filled the air.

Jamie Cullen – Twenty Something

Being an analog junkie, I appreciate and love that this was recorded in analog and then converted to a digital format. Now add that to Jamie’s uncanny ability to take a standard we know and love and make it his own, and something special happens. This is not an easy task. All too often the artist only reinforces that we love the original and that it shouldn’t be messed with. Not the case with Jamie’s versions.

Jamie manages to take “Blame It on My Youth” and make a powerful song. The AVR-1713 brought his vocals front and center. It takes the recording engineer’s vision and makes it live in your room. This continues on with Jimi Hendrix’s “Wind Cries Mary”. We all know the song, we know the lyrics and Jamie manages to take this beloved standard and put a new twist on it, that doesn’t have us run from the room. The three note riff is there but with a new voice and the Denon just seems to hit its stride.

Gustav Holst – The Planets / Richard Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra
Boston Symphony Orchestra – William Steinburg conducting

Now it is time for some robust music. I suspect many of you do not know “Also Sprach Zarathustra” by name, but would recognize it by the first few notes. This is the music of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: Space Odyssey. This particular version I feel is the best. The mastery of William Steinburg and the Boston Symphony Orchestra is spectacular.

I sit back, run the volume up and hit play. Here the added power of the AVR-1713 gives authority to the opening “Einleitung”. The sustained double low C on the double basses, contra bassoon and organ, as the brass builds and almost crashes into the room, then following with the power of the kettle drums and the orchestral fanfare. This music makes you wake up and take notice. It won’t be denied. It is grand in the truest sense.

Tim Burton took an 11 minute short by Shane Acker and together they created a stunning movie both visually and aurally. What on first glance may seem like a little animated cartoon, transcends the medium and takes you on a mesmerizing journey in a post apocalyptic world of thinking machines and dolls embedded with the essence of one man’s soul.

The AVR-1713 allowed the images from the Blu-ray player to shine in all their brilliance and richness. Even in a dark world bits of color stood out; from the flicker of a flame to the machine’s red eye. The receiver’s sound from the center channel keeps you glued towards the screen and the surrounds bring the number’s world into the room that echoes with sounds from the pulsating factory, to fly bys and explosions. The voice actors really do their jobs making you believe and having you truly care for the characters.

Conclusion and Recommendations

There are a lot of things to like about the AVR-1713. In a world increasingly dependent on smart phones, wifi and the internet, Airplay and network connectivity are almost a requirement these days. Streaming music from your Apple device or from internet radio gives you an unlimited supply of your favorite and new music. Add to this, plenty of rear and front panel connectivity, and you have a rock solid receiver to build your home theater around. Yes, there are high end receivers to take you to the next level but at a higher end price. The market for HT receivers in the $500 range are increasing, and with that the competition, comes a need to get more bang for your buck. The AVR-1713 fits the bill on many levels and doesn’t break the bank while doing it.

MSRP $449.99

Amazon : $449.00 with free shipping
Vann’s : $449.00 with free 3-day shipping
Accessories4less : $299.99 factory refurbished

Denon AVR-1713 Review Discussion Thread

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~