Network Media Player, which one? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-15, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Network Media Player, which one?

I am looking for a new network media player. I want one that will play the files from my computer, I don't need it to go on YouTube, Netflix or anytihng else. I currently have the first gen Asus O!Play which works great, does actually what I want but I use that one upstairs and want another for my media room. I also have a ViewSonic VMP71 that once worked well but now it no longer access my network and the picture quality is terrible for some reason.

I was looking at the Asus Cube but I'm not sure it will play the files from my PC and it also doesn't have an Audio out. Also considering the RCA DSB872WRB, but just seems like a cheap product, although it reviews well. I'm open to suggestions, I would even consider a Bluray player that is networked enabled if it would player the flies from my computer. Like the Samsung BD-F5700/ZC. Current;y do not own any Blu Rays because I watch all my content downloaded but I like the idea of having the option.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...=UT9-102346123

http://www.asus.com/us/Multimedia/AS...ith_Google_TV/

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=8020255

Last edited by pasty64; 01-15-15 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-15-15, 03:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System
Re: Network Media Player, which one?

I would probably look at the Western Digital box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-15-15, 05:09 PM

Ron

My System

Have you looked at the CuBox? They had a deal going last month where it was under $100 and included Openelec/XBMC installed on it with an upgraded 8GB memory stick. I was seriously looking at it but I already have 3 NUCs. Try this code openelec-4-cubox at checkout to see if you can still get the discount.. I just tried the code on the top model and it brings the price down to $135 with Openelec/XBMC pre installed.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-16-15, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I looked into the WD and couldn't find anyone stocking them at my usually websites.

I'll check into that CuBox
post #5 of 17 Old 01-16-15, 07:16 AM
jtl
Shackster
J Long

I have the WD TV Hub and seems to work really well. For some reason I cannot get the audio to work on YouTube however, not sure why. I have Apple TV for YouTube.

Joey Long

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8345 Projector/106" Power Screen
Denon AVR 5700 Receiver
Paradigm Reference Speakers - 2 Studio 100 v2 Center 450
Paradigm Reference Speakers - 2 surround Studio 20
Paradigm Servo 15 Sub
LG BP530 Blu-ray Player
WD TV Live Hub
Monster PowerCenter HDP 1800
post #6 of 17 Old 01-16-15, 10:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Wryker

I have a Popcorn Hour A110 (no longer made) and purchased the A400 (now they have the A410) - does everything you're looking for...and more.

post #7 of 17 Old 01-17-15, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
WRYKER wrote: View Post
I have a Popcorn Hour A110 (no longer made) and purchased the A400 (now they have the A410) - does everything you're looking for...and more.
They look nice but are more pricey than I want to spend.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-18-15, 02:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

I have the Popcorn Hour A-400 player. It handles everything I throw at it and is pretty snappy through the menus. I also own the WDTV Live Hub -which is painful and pathetic compared to the A-400. The WD is brutally slow to navigate and does an awful job of fetching movie posters and data.

I hate the WD unit -the only reason I still have it is because I bought it from an AV store manager that "preloaded" it for me.

Popcorn Hour gives you basically a personalized Netflix. Sorts by genre, by actors, by date added, whatever you want. It's more expensive than the WD unit but it is money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
ellisr63 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-05-15, 11:25 AM

Ron

My System

I had the WD units for a couple of months, and then gave them to my neighbor for the same reasons listed by others.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-15-16, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm no expert but I find the Yamaha BD-S677 bluray universal player is a good choice. It plays most everything including SACDs. It streams everything including computer and miracast (for an Android phone), but they don't include netflix which you said you don't need. I does include vudu which is a free subscription and a they charge you to stream for one time or to own. My research is they are the only service that offers full 1080p steam, whereas netflix on other use 720p.

As a player it is top notch and its easily able to distinguish the improvement from cds to hdcds to sacds. And movies are authoritative and clear.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ers/bd-s677_w/