Does it still make sense to buy BD media - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

11Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Alain Pilon

My System
Does it still make sense to buy BD media

Hi,

In these days whre Netflix, cinemanow and other streaming platform offers HD and now UltaHD 4k streaming movies, does it still make sense to upgrade to the latest BD player and buy bd or ultrahd bd media vs renting it on a streaming service ?

Alain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 10:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
apilon wrote: View Post
Hi, In these days whre Netflix, cinemanow and other streaming platform offers HD and now UltaHD 4k streaming movies, does it still make sense to upgrade to the latest BD player and buy bd or ultrahd bd media vs renting it on a streaming service ? Alain
If you value quality over convenience then I say yes. While streaming has come a long way and is the way of the future, it still can't compete with physical media. Sadly, it seems most people are just fine with a sound bar and less than optimal streaming services.
Savjac and willis7469 like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 10:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Does it still make sense to buy BD media

Yes, absolutely. Streaming is still compressed video and audio. I have not seen the streaming of UHD but have heard its not much better than Bluray quality and the audio is still just Dolby digital 5.1 it seems the audio really gets downgraded from 7.1 uncompressed.
willis7469 likes this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Alain Pilon

My System

Thanks to both of you for your input
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 12:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Lets make this a three vote home run, YES, physical media still rules when it comes to quality, both sight and sound.
willis7469, Lumen and Cal68 like this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #6 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 12:38 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Another vote here for BD media.
willis7469 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 02:25 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

+1
willis7469 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-16, 05:27 PM

Ron

My System

One other thing to look at as far as owning vs streaming or renting. Try and find a movie you want to watch that is a few years old for rent. You might find it as a stream, but then the audio, and sometimes video suffers. Don't forget that streaming is also going toward your internet cap (if you currently have one, and if you don't you will mostly some time in the future).
willis7469 likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-16, 08:00 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

In my world, both things are usable. If I want to watch a movie over and over again (which is a thing I do very regularly), then I'd much rather have the physical media. Having to depend on a streaming service to continue to serve the content I want has proven many times to be a road that leads to disappointment. Even having the media stored on a hard disk isn't my preference due the possibility of a drive failure wiping out a collection.

But in place of the old Blockbuster Video model, streaming is vastly better. I can pick out movies I've never seen and I don't even have to put on pants.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-16, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Alain Pilon

My System

So i guess the bottom line is to get a mix of both physical and streaming media depending on what you are looking for. There is a few classics that i found on netflix some other that i can rent on xbox video or cinemanow and they are also available to purchase on Amazon. My local bestbuy has downsized on the bluray section. New release are hard to find so it is a sign that they want to move away from physical media or getting ready for the new format or else ...........but one thing that cannot be denied streaming services embrassed and offered 4k format ahead of the physical one ....