Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

OPPO Digital UDP 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player Review Discussion Thread

10K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  JimShaw 
#1 ·

2016 was a statement year for 4K UHD Blu-ray. Disc sales outpaced industry expectations and early adopters were showered with a handful of first-gen player options. Initially pricy and questionably incomplete, we ended the year with five official 4K UHD Blu-ray player releases (with only one – OPPO’s UDP-203 – primed to handle the coming onslaught of Dolby Vision content). Of course, reveals at CES 2017 have changed the model landscape, and the field of 4K player models is beginning to look a bit more crowded (not to mention more competent).

As last year progressed, one of the biggest questions became OPPO’s planned release date for its highly anticipated 4K player. Curiosity intensified at CEDIA 2016 as OPPO quietly revealed a prototype unit to various members of the press. Rumors on the show floor were hot and heavy, and catching a glimpse of the unit was akin to seeing Sasquatch darting through the woods. It was secretive and, quite frankly, cool.

OPPO ultimately stuck to its guns and didn’t rush its player to market. The company, you see, understands the importance of its own sterling reputation as an industry leader; damaging goodwill by taking an incomplete product to market was never an option. They did manage to officially announce the player just before the Holidays. As it sits, OPPO’s UDP-203 ($549 through OPPO.com) is the best 4K UHD Blu-ray player money can currently buy. And true to the company’s desire to manufacture enthusiast-grade gear, the 203 is more than just a video player, it also doubles as a Hi-Res audio device.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have read on another forum from users which have had problems with this unit. I realize that eventually these bugs will be eliminated, but when my PS3 died late last month, I decided not to purchase a UHD player at this time. I will probable purchase a second generation UHD player later this year.

#3 ·
Thanks for the review, Todd. I was really looking forward to this unit, however reading up on people's experience, people are having so many issues, like lock ups and such, that I am not sure this is the right time to jump on the player.

I am confident that Oppo will fix them, but I just can't justify having a finnicky player. Did you experience any problems when you were using it?

Reactions: Todd Anderson
#5 ·
Hi Jon -

No, I did not encounter any issues with the player. It could be that there are some issues with specific gear that other owners are attempting to use?

I've had this player in possession for a month, it has performed perfectly. Beautiful film images...handled network connection, disc and USB audio playback, etc, all without a hiccup.

OPPO did just release its first firmware update, which will override the Beta firmware that the 203 ships with. Knowing OPPO, they are probably working swiftly to address problems as they are reported. Unfortunately, that release isn't applicable to my review. So, safe to assume that improvements are already in motion for folks that have experienced issues.

#7 ·
I'd get one if I had a 4k tv. My Oppo 103D loader failed and Oppo fixed it for $79. They cleaned the unit, replaced the loader and came back with the latest firmware. I sent Oppo my unit with the original box and came back wrapped inside the Oppo bag like if the unit was brand new. Turn around time was also very fast. They offer excellent customer service and that is a plus for me when investing in something that can be expensive. If something goes wrong you know you are in great hands.

#9 ·
I'd like to upgrade from my Samsung but I've read many owners are not happy with the Oppo. Many of which are longtime Oppo fans but general consensus seems to think the 203 was rushed. Luckily this is software related and not hardware so I'm sure it will be fixed through firmware updates. I'll be waiting a bit before investing.

#13 ·
I'm loving mine. ;)

#19 ·
Bummer. Next thing we'll read is 4K Blu-ray player's manufacturers dropping the 3D feature from their UHD BR players. Then 4K front projectors doing the same. Then 3D will be truly dead going forward in our homes.

It's ok though, 8K will come, and it should add some more field-of-death in this full picture. I mean ... field-of-depth.
Like a more 3-dimensional picture, but without the 3D glasses.

That would also make the 2D people more ... happy. A life without glasses is like being there Live.

I used to work up the mountains; in some days the sky was blue transparent without a single cloud, only the sun making the snow caps so bright that if you were not wearing sunglasses it would burn your eyes down to behind their retinas.

Speaking of brightness and 3D: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-...d-65zd9-review-the-brightest-and-best-hdr-yet

Read on, it's a short review anyway, very.

#20 ·
I recently purchased this player. I used Jason Bourne blu ray and 4k blu ray as my litmus test. Sadly, the 4k looks worse. I have take pictures of it too. Crutchfield can not figure it out. They said best guess is that it's because TV is not HDR but I shouldn't see pixelation regardless. Any help is appreciated.

#26 ·
In my brief look at the TV, doesn't look like it supports HDR. So, yes, that's going to create a problem if you're attempting to send the television a signal with HDR in it. The picture will still come through, but it will likely look very dark (lots of crush in shadows) and colors not vibrant.

Try going into the OPPO settings and turning off HDR output...I'm going off memory here, but I believe there are also customizable color space settings... with your TV, I'm going to assume you'll want it set to REC 709.

#28 ·
I believe it will. I know I have played mkvies files with it, but in the room I have it I only have a 5.1 setup. One thing I will tell you is that if the mkvies file was ripped with Cinenova...it will mute the audio after a few minutes though.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

#35 ·
The last Beta firmware update (May 25) has enabled Dolby Vision.
It is not officially confirmed but from screenshots provided by some owners Dolby Vision is indeed activated now in the Oppo 203/205.
Dolby is most likely telling Oppo to not confirm yet.

This is ↓ from the 203's USB port with a Dolby Vision demo, and LG OLED TV.

We live in interesting times, the world is becoming more interesting, more expanded, more independent, more revealing, more reaffirming, more matter fact.
3D will be back ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.