What to look for in a blue ray player? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 02-02-11, 03:39 PM
Senior Shackster
koyaan

My System
Re: What to look for in a blue ray player?

Oppo is awfully hard to beat. It does a great job with both picture and sound. Irun a BDP-83SE and couldn't be more pleased. I haven't seen the new BDP-93, but it has all of the features your likely to want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 02-02-11, 11:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Stew

Quote:
koyaan wrote: View Post
Oppo is awfully hard to beat. It does a great job with both picture and sound. Irun a BDP-83SE and couldn't be more pleased. I haven't seen the new BDP-93, but it has all of the features your likely to want.
And many features most people don't need.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-02-11, 11:57 PM
Banned!

Quote:
koyaan wrote: View Post
But then there is the new BDP95 coming out soon too, which will be there top end player
post #14 of 26 Old 02-02-11, 11:58 PM
Shackster

AKE

Hi
I add my vote to oppo
When I need a bluray player, What I look for are:
1st: Audio and Video Quality, Build Quality, Durability, Good Looks, The backup service
2nd: 7.1 (or 5.1) audio outputs, Speed, Upscaling
3rd: SACD and DVDA are a big plus for me
4th: 3D not quite important FOR ME right now, but may be in the future. Backlit remote
Oops I just gave the specs of the OPPO, I have a BDP 83 and I am a happy camper.
I'd say go get one if it's in your budget, you won't regret it, it will grow on you.
Have a nice day.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 07:46 PM

blu-ray player ***
post #16 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 08:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I really think the BDP-93 is the perfect BDP. Absolutely rapid loading times, Netflix, tons of Streaming options, Vudu soon to come and others, dual HDMI's, beautiful Industrial Design, no fan unlike the BDP-95 or BDP-83 for that matter, fantastic Loader developed with the Tohei Group of Japan, Marvell Qdeo Processing for DVD's, and Netflix, SACD/DVD-A, NTSC-PAL Conversion and a fairly reasonable price.

If I was a 2 Channel guy, I would go for the 95, but Audyssey is too good to lose for getting slightly better Analog Performance.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #17 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Everywhere you look there are players on sale. If they all have hdmi and all play blue ray and all play hd audio. there is a difference between players. I want to get one that has the best picture and audio at a price that I can live with. I would like the Oppo 83 but they are expensive. I keep looking in the classifieds for any good deals.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 08:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

I'll throw in a vote for the Panasonic BDP players as well. I had a hard time deciding between Sony and Panasonic, and ultimately at the time - it appeared that Panasonic had fewer bugs.

I have no complaints about my Panasonic player - despite it showing it's age a little bit -- merely because new bluray players seem so come out constantly.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 08:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Where players are separated is the upconversion of standard DVDs and things like wireless internet and analog audio outputs. Oppo is very good build quality as well. My personal favorite is the Panasonic BDP 65 or 85. They are relatively inexpensive and do a super job of upconversion and are fast loading.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #20 of 26 Old 02-09-11, 09:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
One thing to think about with OPPO is that their Components hold on to their Resale Value unlike any other Brand that I have ever encountered. BDP-83's are selling quickly when listed for 400 Dollars. To only lose 100 Dollars after one year is amazing. Their DVD Players often sell for more than the original MSRP.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910