Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

I have a PS3....Considering an Oppo

10K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  tazz3 
#1 ·
We have a PS3 which we use for BD and DVD's, as well as some gaming.

If I wanted to go with an Oppo for movies instead, which model would I use? I prefer to buy the low entry models of super quality manufactures rather than the opposite.

Is there an "entry level" Oppo BR player that streams Netflix?

#31 ·
I have a LG unit, really cheap, and it plays BDs and DVDs fine, but it can still see minor defects when its upscaling through HDMI (for DVDs that is). The BD playback seems ok for a $60 unit. My parents wouldn't know the difference anyways. I wanna compare a PS3 against like an OPPO or a Denon BDP.

#32 ·
I had a Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Player up until about 2 weeks ago. I finally made the jump to the PS3 as all my gaming is done on the 360. This is a no brainer as I get a gaming system with a really good Blu-Ray player for less than an Oppo or Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player. That being said, go do some in store comparisons and decide whats best for you. I personally don't think there is that much of a difference and the playback issue could be dealt with by buying a much cheaper Blu-Ray player that puts out close to the same picture.

#33 ·
Hi. I see from your signature that you have a sony blu-ray player as well as the PS3, how does it stack up to the PS3? I' still trying to figure out wheather to buy a sony stand alone blu- ray player or anouther PS3. I'd like to do some thing next week.

BTW are you active duty military? I did 27 yrs. Air Force.

PoTee

#34 · (Edited)
Yes I had a Samsung and a Sony BDP-S360 Blu Ray Player. Sold the Samsung to a friend; my issue with the Sony was it was taking forever to bring up a movie, I don't mean the standard 0-60 seconds, I mean minutes to come up. I had all the updates, etc; I decided to try out the PS3 because not only was it another gaming system but I had heard from multiple people the Blu-Ray Player was outstanding. So far it is above average for me, the picture is outstanding and the start up time is great. I hate that I have to leave something paused because I can't seem to come back to the same spot when I turn off and restart later. Looking at the pro's and cons, I think I am getting more for my money by sticking with the PS3.

I was active duty Marines for 9 Years.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

#35 ·
Some other options not mentioned:

The Sony BDP-S370 (or the similar BX37) does wonderfully for Blu-ray and offers decent DVD up-scaling. I believe the up-scaling is at least as good (or the same) as the PS3 slim. Note the newer S380 was recently tested in a benchmark and does not fare nearly as well with DVD or Blu-ray playback - it failed a major online benchmark testing Std. Why did Sony mess with a proven winner? Note too the S370 and BX37 do 3D with the latest firmware.
Sony direct and some large online merchants still offer the S370 for about $100 which is a steal, IMHO. It also has built in wireless and 1 GB of memory! I believe it may have as many online offerings (like 25+) as the PS3 - i.e. streaming services.

The newest Panasonic DMP-BDT210 offers great Blu-ray playback and DVD playback. It was tested and rated as good not passing all of the SD benchmarks but close. It also sports built-in wireless and supports 5.1 audio for Netflix - still a rarity. At nearly twice the price I'd look for a Sony unit though (most available now are refurbished).

The Oppo is superior to those mentioned above since it offers more features and provides better output (albeit slight). However for the "normal" consumer those better results come at diminishing returns. Don't they always? I would only consider an Oppo for my dedicated HT to feed my projector. It would be in addition to the PS3 slim and X-box that currently reside in the HT room. I do not believe I would be able to realize the benefits (as much) of the Oppo on my other LCD TVs 32", 40", 42" and 47" 1080p units.

#36 ·
I originally was looking at an Oppo BDP-93, but since reading through this thread, slash my other thread about Denon's BDPs VS Oppo's, I'm starting to consider a PS3 more. I have games I want to get, but are PS3 only, or just look so much better on a PS3. My only issue with the PS3 is its apparently less than stellar DVD playback. I want to make sure what I get is doing both DVD and Blu-Ray playback perfectly (or close to at least :p). Can anyone vouch for the PS3's DVD playback?

#38 ·
Can you be more specific on games that look so much better on the PS3? Not doubting your perceptions, just curious. And remember the Oppo has dual hdmi and component and supports IR remote control out of the box. PS3 either requires additional component cables and/or a IR adapter to make those features happen and still will only have one hdmi out.

#37 ·
The PS3 I have now is an old 80 gig, But I have no problems with how it shows standard DVDs. I'm in the process of getting a new one as soon as I cash in my sony wheel watchers points. I'v never seen an OPPO so I have nothing to compare it to. I watch both blus and dvds on a 54 panny plasma and happy with both.

PoTee

#39 ·
TypeA said:
Can you be more specific on games that look so much better on the PS3? Not doubting your perceptions, just curious. And remember the Oppo has dual hdmi and component and supports IR remote control out of the box. PS3 either requires additional component cables and/or a IR adapter to make those features happen and still will only have one hdmi out.
For the price of the PS3 vs the Oppo, you can get a hdmi multiplier for about $30 on eBay (a fix for the dual hdmi), a Bluetooth remote (this resolves the remote issue) and still come out a good bit cheaper. Unless you are a video expert, the difference in picture quality won't justify the added expense IMO. Not saying that the Oppo is not worth the money though, if I had sufficient funds I would have both!

As for the games, I have a PS3 and a 360 Slim. I own several titles for both and have to say that sometimes I see a difference, and sometimes I do not. The difference isn't constant enough to justify one over the other for game graphics. However, the fact that I can watch Blu-Rays in all of their glory on my PS3, is a major advantage in my opinion. Hope this helped!

#40 ·
I guess we need to keep in mind that most usually the more you pay the better item you get. for alot of us the best is out of reach, So we get the best that we can afford or what will do almost as good for a more reasonable price. hence I have a PS3. I'd like an OPPO thou. Good Luck with what ever you get

PoTee

#43 ·
I have noticed the visual difference in playing FFXIII, Call of Duty 4, and in my brief time of playing Catherine. The PS3 makes a lot of sense for a multifunction platform. Games + DVDs + Bluray + more. Its hard to argue with honestly. Plus I have been itching to buy for since its release.

#44 ·
Just used my wheel watchers points to order a Play Station 3 unchartered 3: Drakes?s Deception bundle. I'll move the old PS 3 to the bedroom so we can watch BLUs on the 46 Panny Plasma in there. Now we each can go hide and still have a chance to watch what ever we like.

#45 ·
Hello,
Congratulations. It is always wonderful to have something as useful as a PS3 in the Bedroom as well.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.