Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

I have a PS3....Considering an Oppo

10K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  tazz3 
#1 ·
We have a PS3 which we use for BD and DVD's, as well as some gaming.

If I wanted to go with an Oppo for movies instead, which model would I use? I prefer to buy the low entry models of super quality manufactures rather than the opposite.

Is there an "entry level" Oppo BR player that streams Netflix?

#2 ·
Hello,
The only OPPO BDP's that offer Netflix are the BDP-93 and BDP-95. At 500 Dollars, the BDP-93 is the entry model and if using HDMI offers an identical experience to the 1000 Dollar BDP-95. When both were Bench Tested together, the differences were so slight even with Analog that unless using a no holds barred 2 Channel Analog Setup, I really do not see the need for the BDP-95. Moreover, the BDP-95 has to use a Fan due to the Rotel Designed Toroidal Transformer and ESS Technology Sabre 32 Bit Chipset whereas the BDP-93 does not use a Fan.
Cheers,
JJ

#3 ·
Any reason why you'd want to make this kind of an upgrade? In my opinion it would be more of a sidegrade, or even downgrade. I've compared just about all Blu Ray players imaginable and to my eyes the PS3 is always at least somewhat superior, picture wise. As far as flexibility, upgradability, etc. there's just no comparison, PS3 is by far the better machine. There's a reason why Criterion uses a PS3 to master their Blu Rays...

#5 ·
Hello,
To call the OPPO a downgrade is off the mark in my opinion. Especially if having an 1st Generation Model that is not the 60gb Model. The OPPO offers vastly superior DVD Playback, 3D Playback without losing the Lossless Codecs which you do with the PS3 when playing 3D BD's, and other things. The Marvell Qdeo Processor in the OPPO really is excellent and works magic on non HD and compressed HD Sources like Netflix as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 60gb PS3. While I primarily use it as a giant iPod, for a time I used it as a BDP as for the first few years of the Format, the PS3 was the best BDP on the Market. Moreover, the 60gb Model cost 840 Dollars Wholesale just to Manufacture not even accounting for R&D and Marketing.

However, Sony knew they were going to lose a fortune in the beginning as they were in the middle of the great Blu-Ray-/HD-DVD Format War. And sadly, it was close to being a Conflict with Death Threats being made on a certain Forum to the point that said Forum temporarily shut down the Hi Rez Sub Forums due to the serious animosity. This was Sony not wanting to lose (again) after Beta Max, DAT, Mini Disc, and SACD all never gaining traction.

Sony inclusion of a Blu-Ray Drive in the PS3 was a bold move that massively increased the Installed Base of BDP Owners. However, times have changed and I do not think you will find many Videophiles who still believe that the PS3 is the best BDP still. It is still a viable choice with rapid Loading Speeds and never concerns about Compatibility, but after the massive Data Breach, I have not had my PS3 connected to the Internet for about a Month. I am still skittish after what has happened.
Cheers,
JJ

#7 ·
Hello,
The PS3 Slim does Bitstream the Lossless Codecs unlike the original which could only do Uncompressed PCM with it doing the Decoding. However, the PS3 cannot do Lossless and 3D simultaneously.
Cheers,
JJ

#9 ·
Jungle Jack said:
... It is still a viable choice with rapid Loading Speeds and never concerns about Compatibility, but after the massive Data Breach, I have not had my PS3 connected to the Internet for about a Month. I am still skittish after what has happened.
Cheers,
JJ
PS3 fan boys learned the hard way that you get what you pay for when it comes to online services

#10 ·
Hello,
This really has been a disaster and I am beyond grateful I never provided CC Info on my Playstation Account.
It does all seem to be in retaliation to Sony's Litigation against George Hotz after he found an exploit to run Linux again. Being able to run other OS's was a Standard Feature for several years until a FW from if memort serves March 2010 which disabled the Feature.
Cheers,
JJ

#12 ·
Hello,
Indeed. The Air Force was using I think 250 PS3's to form a Super Computer. This was actually a really common thing especially on the 1st Gen PS3's which cost Sony 840 Dollars just to build Wholesale.

The whole Anonymous/4chan campaign against Sony while certainly hurting Sony is also really hurting Consumers as well. I am not saying they were directly involved in any of the Hacking that has hit almost every area of Sony, but certainly made their displeasure known about the Hotz situation.
Cheers,
JJ

#14 ·
Hello,
Models from Panasonic and Sony are quite competitively priced as both are really pushing the 3D Format with their TV's. It will be even cheaper if you have an AVR that is HDMI 1.4 and thus do not need Dual HDMI Outputs. However, even Models with that Feature are still competitively priced as Blu-Ray is quickly reaching close to DVD pricing parity due to the amazing success of Netflix Streaming (responsible for 20% of Internet Activity during Peak Hours)
Cheers,
JJ

#17 ·
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
Indeed. The Air Force was using I think 250 PS3's to form a Super Computer. This was actually a really common thing especially on the 1st Gen PS3's which cost Sony 840 Dollars just to build Wholesale.
It was more like 1700 of them clustered. They originally bid for something like 2000 total, but Sony couldn't manufacture fast enough at that time. There was some controversy over the matter, from people who didn't look at the numbers of course! The clustered ps3's were more powerful and about half the price of IBM's most powerful commercially available supercomputer, at that time! There are several major universities that use the clustered ps3's also, like MIT. The clusters are used to make calculations in fields like astro physics, quantum mechanics, and other operationally intense measurements, all at lightning fast speeds! Not bad for a personal gaming console!

#18 ·
Hello,
A bit off on my PS3 estimate, but it was from years ago and was just shooting from the hip so to speak. Thus the I think proviso. The Cell Processor is an amazing thing indeed. It really is a shame that you can no longer run other OS's anymore with the earlier PS3's. Even worse what happened when someone attempted to bring back that functionality.
Cheers,
JJ

#20 ·
A number of people would disagree with you at this point. Especially when considering DVD Playback. That being said, I am a huge fan of the PS3 and for the first few years of the BD Format it was both the most cost effective and best possible BDP to use. Much of it from Sony selling the launch PS3 for over 200 Dollars less than the Wholesale Build Cost.

#21 ·
As far as consoles are concerned, nothing comes close to the ps3's functionality. The Xbox has atrocious DVD upscaling, even the new slim model, which I have. The ps3 doesn't do a fantastic job, but it wasn't designed as a fantastic DVD player. It's purpose was to be a great blu-ray player and an excellent gaming console. It raised the bar for what people expect in their movies and allowed them to connect with people for free! What I feel is a shame is that it is capable of a lot more, as far as graphics and richness in gaming, but hasn't had a title truly push the limits. I think the closest that we will get as of yet will be BF3.

#22 ·
The Oppo is a much better BD player and also has a first rate upscaler for DVD's. There is generally very little difference in playback quality of bluray discs, it is the other features that give the Oppo a clear edge over the PS3. Being a standalone BD player it doesn't have to share it's duties with gaming and other electronics not used for playing video. Plus the loading times edge out your already fast loading PS3.

#23 ·
As a PS3 owner, I've never been happy with the DVD performance. I have an old Oppo 971H that still crushes the PS3 for DVD playback, but that Oppo is no longer in my stack. The PS3 is a very nice Blu-Ray player, industry leading for a long time and still gets upgrades including 3D. Easily the most versatile player after the purchase but not the easiest to operate (I can't have my mother use it for example).

#24 ·
Hello,
Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity preformed their rigorous DVD Benchmark on the PS3 and the results were not stellar on DVD. Again, for Blu-ray, it looks fantastic.

As for 3D, it is somewhat compromised in that to watch 3D, you lose the ability to listen to the Lossless Soundtrack outputting DD or DTS instead of True HD and DTS-HD. Still amazing that it supports 3D all these years after its release.
Cheers,
JJ

#25 ·
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity preformed their rigorous DVD Benchmark on the PS3 and the results were not stellar on DVD. Again, for Blu-ray, it looks fantastic.

As for 3D, it is somewhat compromised in that to watch 3D, you lose the ability to listen to the Lossless Soundtrack outputting DD or DTS instead of True HD and DTS-HD. Still amazing that it supports 3D all these years after its release.
Cheers,
JJ
Wasn't the lossless soundtrack + 3D issue solved in the last major firmware release? I keep remembering something about that. And you're right...the PS3 has proved amazingly flexible after four years. I just wish that the original PS3 that I own could do bitstream HD audio but the HDMI they used very bleeding edge...more HDMI 1.2+ rather than 1.3.

#26 ·
And one more point: DVD performance was never a priority feature for the PS3 team at Sony. Oh sure, it had to do it. But in the early days, a lot of people (myself included) bought a PS3 because it could do Blu-Ray. It was easily the cheapest Blu-Ray player for the first 2 years of sale. Sony marketing of the product touted it as a Blu-Ray player that was also the most powerful game console out there.

Sony has spent much of the last 4 years on priority features, like the XMB interface, developer APIs and system performance, Blu-Ray features (Profile 2.0, 3D). DVD? Not so much.

#27 ·
I just streamed my free trial movie on Vudu with my Oppo 93 and it was beautifull pic and sound without a glitch................NICE................I saw The Lincoln Lawyer and I really enjoyed it. :bigsmile::bigsmile::T

#28 ·
I have an 80 GB PS3 and I'm happy with it, But I have $380.00 in a sony wheel watchers account and was going to get a new PS3 and move the old one to another room. Is that a good move ar should I get a sony stand alone BDP? I can only use the money for Sony products.

PoTee

#29 ·
I'm am beginning to wonder if a Playstation 3 would be worth investing in. I have wanted one for a while, but never could bring myself to get one. Hearing that it can do blu-ray just as well as OPPO units is making me consider it more, but I do have a decent amount of DVDs in my selection of media, so no having decent upscaling worries me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.