Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

STB with HDMI output

Tags
hdmi output stb
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
#1 ·
How do you guys get your cable piped over HDMI? I'm guessing a lot of you have directv or some other company's set top box that offers an HDMI connection, but I just use plain old comcast and I currently have it into the back of my TV. I really don't want to pay each month to rent a set top box either.

It's kind of cumbersome to use as I have to not only use my receiver remote but also my tv remote to change the input to the tuner when I want to watch tv.

I haven't been able to find any HD set top boxes available to the general public with an HDMI out. It seems all of the boxes are intended for cable companies from the likes of motorola and cisco. Does anyone know where I can locate one for a reasonable price? I would love to be able to pipe the cable over HDMI and eliminate another cable going to the tv and also a remote from my routine.

Ideally I'd like to find one that supports NTSC/ATSC/QAM.

#2 ·
Hello,
I am pretty sure you are stuck Renting a Comcast Box should you want HDMI. Now there is CableCard, but not many TV's offer this. However, if your TV has this, you could get exactly what you are wanting without even needing a Box.
Cheers,
JJ

#6 ·
Gotcha. I figured you wanted all of the additional HD Channels that are only available via a Sat/Cable Box or Cable Card. No doubt your Cable Bill must be much more reasonable than most of us. Marshall's idea sounds like the way to go.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.