Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

aspect problem

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  JBrax 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i am pulling my hair out at the moment as i have just put in my "Rush in Rio" concert dvd and am expected to see it in widescreen and its showing up in a 4.3 format. I can remember seeing this concert taking up my full 100 inch projector screen and now it dont.When i watched this concert last i used a 60gig ps3 as a source and now am using the new 320 gig ps3 as my source.Blurays sre fine and some other concert dvds are fine . I have checked my projector and all looks fine as far as i can see. Am i missing something.

#2 ·
Make sure that your BluRay player is set to output 1080p as if for some reason it reset and is playing the movie at 480p you will only get a 4:3 display. Also are you using HDMI out from the PS3?

#3 ·
tonyvdb said:
Make sure that your BluRay player is set to output 1080p as if for some reason it reset and is playing the movie at 480p you will only get a 4:3 display. Also are you using HDMI out from the PS3?
ok tony, ill check that out.i only have a 1080i projector. i am using hdmi out of my ps3.So what you are saying is it might have something to do with my bluray output.I did notice that it was playing it at 576i.

#4 ·
I did notice that it was playing it at 576i.
That would do it, There are very few projectors that will upscale that to 1080i or p thats a very rare aspect ratio.

#5 ·
Hi Tony, the problem layed in my ps3 "video Settings" of my PS3. Under video settings i had the "DVD Upscaler" switched to off, so i switched it on again and i was back to normal.Funny thing is Tony, is that i switched it off firstly due to my letting the AVPA1HD processor that i own do the video upscaling.I thought by turning that off at the ps3 my denon processor would take over. Obviously not, or am i missing something here with the denon AVP.

#7 ·
Your welcome, glad i could help.
as far as the Denon is concerned it may only do passthrough meaning that is will not upscale video. May I ask what Denon you have?

#8 ·
Actually, the staff here is very thankful to Tony for all of his contribution over such a long time. Tony is certainly part of the HTS family and has helped many users over the years. He is what I would call a Home Theater Shack Hero! He really gets what this community of users is about and demonstrates it constantly.

#11 ·
Your very welcome. I enjoy it here.

#12 ·
lcaillo said:
Just look at the post count. Higher than most of us, and not just a lot of padding, but real help to lots of users. We notice...and appreciate it.
I certainly appreciate the help that Tony provided me. I have an awesome AVR (809) thanks to his guidance. He and others have been a great resource for my home theater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.