Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tonyvdb 
#1 ·
I have an older Marantz receiver (SR-7300) and I want to pair it with a Panny DMP-BD210 DVD player.

Because the SR-7300 doesn't have HDMI, I want to feed the panny's HDMI out directly to my TV and feed the DVD sound (optical) directly to the SR-7300. Are both the HDMI and optical ports both active at the same time?

On my current DVD player (Marantz 4001; HDMI 1.0), I can feed HDMI to the TV but don't get sound from the COAX output to the receiver. If I unplug the HDMI to the TV on the 4001, I get Dolby Digital, but no picture. I suppose I can feed video from the component outs on the 4001 to the TV, but want to know about the Panny before I buy.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 ·
Hello,
With your BDP, there will be no issue as many have HDTV's but older AVR's without HDMI. Just make sure that Optical is turned on if that needs to be done.
Cheers,
JJ

#3 ·
Just remember that if you use optical you wont get the uncomperssed audio so you will need to select the correct audio on the BluRay movie each time you play them as it will default to the uncompressed format.

#4 ·
Jim,
To verify for you, I just plugged a Toslink cable into my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and ran it to my receiver and ran an HDMI cable from the BDT210 to the TV. The answer is... YES, I get audio over HDMI to the TV and audio over optical to the receiver at the same time.

#6 ·
I believe so, I don't remember ever changing any audio settings on it. So far I like the BDT210, it was a replacement for my BD80 that only lasted a year. I gave Panasonic a second chance because I feel they are a good value in audio and video performance. I'm hoping the early failure of the BD80 was a fluke and that the BDT210 will last more than a year. So far my only complaint is with playing DVD's. It has a menu setting for 24P but I still have to enable it every time I play a DVD, the BD80 was the same way.

#7 ·
Well, I bought the Panny yesterday; on sale a Target for $130. I was looking on eBay, but they're averaging about $125-$140, plus avg shipping is $10-$15. So, with state sales tax, it was a wash, plus no hassles returning it if it wouldn't work. Works just fine with the Martanz SR 7300 receiver and new LG 55LW5600 TV. Just finished watching "Aliens," on Blu-ray and it is just an awesome pic and sound.

Jim

#8 ·
Jim,
Congrats. Also, Panasonic keeps its Resale Value better than any other BDP Brand with the exception of OPPO. All the more impressive considering how inexpensive some of their BDP's cost. Really are wonderful BDP's and there is a reason they hold their value like they do.
Cheers,
J

#13 ·
The problem with using the analog outputs to the receivers inputs is that they bypass all of the receivers processing including Audessey or what ever your receiver uses and you cant add any post processing to it like THX Cinema

#14 · (Edited)
His receiver doesnt support any of these features youve listed. :whistling:

Keep in mind that a cheap $95 refurb like the Panasonic DMP-BD55K (as an example) offers all channel level adjustments and full bass management built into the player, making his loss going analog to be zero. ;)

#15 ·
True, It would be fine in his case other then he would not be able to expand it to 7.1 channels.

#16 ·
I appreciate all the interest in this issue. As stated, the new Panny BDP does not have the analog outs, nor did the Marantz 4001. Right now I'm perfectly happy with the DD 5.1 (have never heard any of the lossless stuff; it it really all that much better than DD 5.1?). The video being sent to the TV is via HDMI.

Jim

#17 ·
have never heard any of the lossless stuff; it it really all that much better than DD 5.1?

Jim
If you have a good speaker system with a sub that goes low enough yes there is a big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.