Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Connecting Toshiba HD-DVD Players for Firmware Updates

4K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
I have a newbie question about the hook-up of the XA2 for these updates. I do have broadband but only to one computer, no network in the house. Will I be able to plug the XA2 into my cable modem and it take it from there? I really stink at computer type stuff. When my player gets to me should I just hook it up to see if it needs updating?
Please tell me this will be an easy thing to do. Thanks.

#2 ·
Re: Firmware update 2.0 for 2nd gen HD-A2/-D2/-XA2

Steve - It is really a pretty easy process. If you are using a cable modem, but do not use a router, just take the network cable from your PC to run the update. If I recall, there are 1-2 pages of instructions in the manual that are straight forward and step you through it quite nicely.... and a bunch of great people on this board to help if the instructions confusing :bigsmile:... The biggest thing to remember is to be sure to turn on DHCP/DNS inside the XA2, so it automatically detects the IP address. Mike

#3 ·

Will I be able to plug the XA2 into my cable modem and it take it from there? I really stink at computer type stuff.
Sometimes it is easy if the modem or cable service ISP can do automatic DHCP and DNS service. Othertimes you have to enter in the XA2 the exact same IP address and DNS name as was done in your PC when the cable company set up the service. Most times it is easiest just to go out and buy/install a $40 ~ $60 router and it gets set up to be a DHCP and DNS provider. Then you will be ready for the new network enabled titles coming out in July.

Read this thread.

#8 ·

Tommy,
I do not have a wireless network. Only one computer in the house. So, I'm guessing that unit I posted the link to isn't all I need?
An example of a wireless network:

In my house I have my cable internet hooked to my office computer. The cable line comes into the office, and goes into the cable modem from modem its wired to the wireless router from the router its wired to my computer. The wireless router then broadcasts a signal to the rest of the house.

In the rest of the house, the other computers would have some type of wireless card or an adpater such as the one you pointed out connected to it. That adapter would then allow them to connect to the wireless router on my office computer.

However, as my kids have discovered even when I have the router unplugged they still can still get on line. Apparently many of my close neighbors are also running unsecured wireless networks that all seem to still be in range of are house.

What is type of internet connection do you have for your computer? and how far is it located from where your HD DVD player is?

I'm currently deciding how I should connect my player also. I can either do a wireless connection like mentioned above or run a hard wire...

#9 ·

Hey guys... I'm gonna move this discussion about the Internet connection to its own thread.

I have the same dilemma... wireless network router in our study and the XA2 is in the HT room, some 100 feet away. Running a hard wire to the router is not a viable option. I've got my laptop, but connecting the XA2 to it does not work... it needs to connect to the router itself.

#10 ·
Sonnie,
I feel so special now, another thread started by little ole me.
My TV is about 25 feet from the cable modem. To make things easy I'll just run a wire from the modem to the XA2 as needed. When there is more content over the internet connection I will look at doing a permanent connection. I guess I could just get another cable modem and hook it to the XA2 via a splitter before the wire goes into the cable box.

#11 ·
I guess I could just get another cable modem and hook it to the XA2 via a splitter before the wire goes into the cable box.
No that idea was shot down in:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...d-blu-ray/5183-hd-dvd-internet.html#post39513
as was referenced (the link) earlier in this thread. You just need a router to expand the number of ports from the single one your cable modem supplies. The router may have wireless (most do now) but normally the common ones in Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc also supply connections for 4 wired ports. I have two routers both made by D-Link, a DI-604 4 port only, and a DI-524 four port & wireless.

If I had to buy again I think I would get a Netgear model as they do better at the wireless WPA security which is mainly broke in my DI-524. So I have to use WEP which can be cracked by "sniffing". My 26 year old son is a paid/certified pro at networking and it is amazing what I have learned from him. :)

#14 ·
For a quicky firmware update, take your player over to the modem and plug in an ethernet connection.

For added content downloadable from the movie studios, you'll want some kind of wired or wireless network so you can leave your player installed in your home theater system. This new capability is just coming onboard and is probably something you want to plan for.

Sonnie,
Here's 10 tips for improving your wireless network. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

#23 ·
Sonnie, yes you can connect a wireless adapter rather easily. I opted for a hard line connection for several reason.

1st The reception in my HT isnt the greatest even with my cell phone.

2nd is speed, I dont care what they say I'm sure a hardwired connection will be faster then an wireless connection.

3rd is future proofing, now I have a line right there for additional connections for other devices and my laptop all I will have to do is add a hub

4th since this will primarily be used for high def video files its safe to say they will be pretty large files. Dropped wireless connections are as frequent as my sprint cell phone. I dont want to keep redownloading large files over and over....

But yes I think a regular wireless adapter would have worked fine!

I was trying to find away to use the cable line that is already present in my equipment rack. Unfortunatly I couldnt find a way to add a second cable modem without requesting and paying for a second ip address from the cable company.

Bob and I discussed the ethernet to coax adapters which are hardware devices that you plug in that supposedly then allows you to use your cable jacks for additional connections. I decided against this, one because it was more expensive then both other ways and more importantly there is a loss of quality/speed. Last I just didnt trust it not knowing a single person every using one of these....

#26 ·
I thought wireless adapters needed drivers. What do I know?

We do have something that Xbox uses that I'll try.

If that fails... currently we have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router - WRT54G, which is also a wireless access point. If I buy another one of these and place it out in the HT room, connect it to the XA2, it will communicate with the other WRT54G? :scratch: No doubt? It just does it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.