Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Recommend an HD-DVD player

4K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
Okay, I am really interested in getting an HD-DVD player.

I currently have a Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan that I really like. It zooms in on non-anamorphic movies, plays DVD-Audio, is really quiet in operation, and has a great picture, albeit 480p.

I had no idea HD-DVD players had dropped in price that much! I had written off both HD formats due to price and the war.

But for $250, it's a tough deal to pass up, especially when I need a disc spinner for my audio system and was going to spend that much anyway (I can always move the Panny upstairs).

So, what ones are good and what are the "stay away at all costs" ones?

I see the Toshiba HD-A2 is the cheapest, then there's the A20 and the XA2. Aaagh!

I won't even get into other brands yet.

So I'm just starting my research, but this looks promising. Please let me know if you all have any advice. I will post any search results or interesting conclusions I find here.

thanks,
Anthony

See less See more
#32 ·
I noticed Amazon had the wrong rebate listed on the A-2's page. It was the 3 free movie one from March. I had to Google to find the correct (current) one for 5 movies.

I'm sending mine off tomorrow. I will let you all know when I get my movies.

Oh and Planet Earth showed up yesterday. Breathtaking. Some shots don't do it justice, but then there's one with greenery, motion, and water ripples that makes you forget you are watching a screen.

#34 · (Edited)
The shack store is Amazon so if you see the price lower within 30 days after your purchase through the store you can get the difference refunded or credited to you.

Amazon has an unadvertised 30-day price guarantee policy. Which means if the price (before any coupon or rebate) drops on any item (sold by Amazon.comnot from a third party seller, ) within 30 days of your purchase, you can request a refund on the difference.

To request a refund, just call 1-800-201-7575, extension 7 or simply Click Here to send Amazon an email. Amazon will credit you back the difference normally within 1 business day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.