Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Huge dvd collection

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  koyaan 
#1 ·
I apologize if this isnt the correct category to put this question in, if it isnt someone point me in the right direction.
I have a pretty good collection of dvds and blu rays 550+. Only problem with it is I dont get to watch a great deal of them due to them being stuff in boxes and hard to find the dvd i want when im looking for it. I want to know if anyone have any suggestions of a system I could implement to get the best usage of my collection. So far the best thing I can come up with is the Sony BDP CX960 which holds 400+blu rays but it is a bit expensive at $600+ and looks like its discontinued. I also thought about ripping the collection which would take me a lifetime and also Id loose quality in the playback.

Any suggestions? Im sure Im not the only one with this situaiton. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Dont waste your money on the changer. It is a piece of junk. It will cost you more but Ripping all your movies is the way to go. You dont have to loose any qaulity in doing this. I have all my BD's and DVD's on a server and it works awsome.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using HT Shack

#6 ·
Agreed
I use handbreak to rip my DVDs to my laptop. Much easier then searching for a disc.

All you will need is a device capable of streaming from local sources, like an Xbox,/ps3/or BD player/appleTV(though that's at 720). A place to store your data, like a NAS drive or a desktop computer. And the time it takes to encode your library (that will take some time)

For BD you will need a BD drive installed on your computer.

It's a good option and I don't think it will take much more money the your disc changer option.

Good luck

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for replying!!

Samuraijones shout out to waller,texas! I went to college at Prairie View A&M out there. Im from Houston.

It was mentioned that I wont loose quality, but when i ripped one for a test the quality was noticeably poor. Ill retry again and check the settings. Ive never heard anything bad about the Sony Changer though except for the price lol

#10 ·
thats what i was thinking about just ripping straight to ISO, im not trying to figure what to use as storage source. if i calculated correctly i should be able to get 245 dvds in one terabyte so i can almost fit all my movies on 2 terabyte drive if they rip at 4 gigs...

#16 ·
I bought a Ziotek storage carrousel, movie Collectorz software and Eject-Me add on for Media Center.

The Ziotek only holds 150 discs but it saves ripping for the rarely used discs.

I use my iPhone and a Collectorz app to scan the UPC codes to populate the database and when I pull the library up in Media Center I have the option of playing directly or automatically ejecting the disc from the carrousel.

Just one more of many approaches. Keeps all the discs handy.

#17 ·
I've got a couple of old Sony DVD megachangers and I must admit, I've not used either in months. They certainly reduce the spoace ncessary to stor your DVD collection, but , unliks music, I find I don't rewatch movies very often. That being said, I've also got a pair of Sony CD changers, and really only use the around Christmas as I'd rather listen to one disc at a time on my Oppo BDP83SE.
My original thought was that the Mega changers would make great servers for my multi-room system, but I've found that except for some special occasions, I listen to music or watch DVDs in my primary listening area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.