Dynamic Range of Blu-Ray players? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-14, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
My System
Dynamic Range of Blu-Ray players?

Today I was checking this issue out and for OPPO and the Denon unit we have, I found dynamic range ratings of 110dB. But for the less expensive Samsung units, I couldn't find anything listing what their dynamic range is.

Can anybody give me insight as to what the dynamic range of the lesser blu-ray players is? It's a curiosity question as I don't have plans on downgrading our current blu-ray player.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-14, 10:13 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System
Re: Dynamic Range of Blu-Ray players?

In for results...

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-14, 10:17 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

There should be no difference at all as the signal is in the digital rheum and it leaves the player untouched unless you use the players own processing that can make a difference however very unlikely audible.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 4 Old 02-26-14, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
My System

I can find the information on the more expensive units but I can't find the same information on the less expensive units. I'm sure the reason why the less expensive units don't post this information on the specification sheets is because they don't have the same amount of dynamic range. I'm trying to find out what the difference of the range of the different priced blu-ray players are.

I'm also trying to find out the difference in dynamic range between LPCM decoded in a blu-ray player and what the dynamic range is for more expensive AVRs that decode LPCM with their processors.

In the case of my question, I'm looking for empirical information. In the case of human hearing, our limits are about 124dB.

This Wiki link is the best information I've found so far but it doesn't address issues surround expensive vs inexpensive blu-ray players and LCPM decoding.

Dynamic range

Dynamic range is the difference between the largest and smallest signal a system can record or reproduce. Without dither, the dynamic range correlates to the quantization noise floor. For example, 16-bit integer resolution allows for a dynamic range of about 96 dB.

Using higher bit depths during studio recording accommodates greater dynamic range. If the signal's dynamic range is lower than that allowed by the bit depth, the recording has headroom, and the higher the bit depth, the more headroom that's available. This reduces the risk of clipping without encountering quantization errors at low volumes.

With the proper application of dither, digital systems can reproduce signals with levels lower than their resolution would normally allow, extending the effective dynamic range beyond the limit imposed by the resolution.[24]

The use of techniques such as oversampling and noise shaping can further extend the dynamic range of sampled audio by moving quantization error out of the frequency band of interest.

From the same link:

Blu-ray Disc audio[30] Digital media 16-, 20- and 24-bit LPCM and others[note 2]

I can't find how deep the processors are, 16bit vs 20bit vs 24bit processing.

From this Wiki link on Blu-ray Discs. It's toward the bottom of the link where it shows much better than doing a cut-n-paste.

For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, and linear PCM. Players may optionally support Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well as lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.[133] BD-ROM titles must use one of the mandatory schemes for the primary soundtrack. A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any of the mandatory or optional codecs.
Specification of BD-ROM Primary audio streams:[134]

LPCM (lossless) Dolby Digital Dolby Digital Plus Dolby TrueHD (lossless) DTS Digital Surround DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless) DRA DRA extension
Max. bitrate 27.648 Mbit/s 640 kbit/s 4.736 Mbit/s 18.64 Mbit/s 1.524 Mbit/s 24.5 Mbit/s 1.5 Mbit/s 3.0 Mbit/s
Max. channel 8 (48 kHz, 96 kHz), 6 (192 kHz) 5.1 7.1 8 (48 kHz, 96 kHz), 6 (192 kHz) 5.1 8 (48 kHz, 96 kHz), 6 (192 kHz) 5.1 7.1
Bits/sample 16, 20, 24 16, 24 16, 24 16, 24 16, 20, 24 16, 24 16 16
Sample frequency 48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz 48 kHz 48 kHz 48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz 48 kHz 48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz 48 kHz 48 kHz, 96 kHz
Bit rate

For users recording digital television programming, the recordable Blu-ray Disc standard's initial data rate of 36 Mbit/s is more than adequate to record high-definition broadcasts from any source (IPTV, cable/satellite, or terrestrial). BD Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 48 Mbit/s (for both audio and video data), and a maximum video bit rate of 40 Mbit/s. This compares to HD DVD movies, which have a maximum data transfer rate of 36 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 30.24 Mbit/s, and a maximum video bitrate of 29.4 Mbit/s.[135]

Last edited by BeeMan458; 02-26-14 at 08:39 AM.

bluray , dynamic , players , range

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page