Samsung BD-P1400 ... BD-UP5000 ... Sony PS3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: Which Blu-ray player and why?
BD-UP5000 and move the XA2 to the great room... 4 30.77%
BD-P1400 and keep the XA2 with it in the HT room... 1 7.69%
PS3 and keep the XA2 with it in the HT room... 7 53.85%
Forget either... get the (see my suggestion below)... 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 11 Old 01-22-08, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Samsung BD-P1400 ... BD-UP5000 ... Sony PS3

I have in my possession a Samsung BD-P1400 and a BD-UP5000, both unopened boxes. I had canceled my order on the BD-UP5000, but they shipped it anyway. In the meantime I had already ordered the 1400. The 1400 was $325 delivered while the 5000 was $730 delivered.

I absolutely cannot decide what I want to do.

I got my SonyCard in today and now my decision is skewed even more. I can now save $100 on a PS3 just by charging it on my SonyCard.

I'm curious what others would do and why... but put yourself in my shoes. I really care nothing about the PS3 as a media server/storage facility. I might play a game, but the primary purpose is a Blu-ray player, so don't smoke me with its various uses. As a Blu-ray player first and foremost... which would you choose and why?

For consideration I now have the Toshiba XA2 and can either keep it or possibly move it to the great room if I keep the 5000. Otherwise I keep it in the HT room and add the 1400 or PS3.

The poll is public... if you vote, please explain why you voted as you did.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-08, 06:00 AM
Elite Shackster
Re: Samsung BD-P1400 ... BD-UP5000 ... Sony PS3

After reading the reviews and specs, I voted for the BD-UP5000 for the following reasons.
1080p output at 24 frames per second on Blu-ray and HD DVD
HQV video processing
Onboard decoding for Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD
Firmware upgradeable for DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD
Master Audio onboard decoding
HDMI 1.3 port
Ethernet port
I'm not a fan of gaming consoles as a DVD player, so the Sony PS3 wasn't even a consideration. I sure it's a fine player, it's just something I would never do.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-23-08, 10:38 AM
Send a message via AIM to avaserfi Send a message via Yahoo to avaserfi

I voted for the PS3 for a few reasons:

-It is still the fastest player out there by a long shot.
-Great firmware support. The unit will be getting profile 2.0 support and internal decoding of DTS-HD-MA is currently in the works.
-It already upscales very well and with Toshiba's recent showing of what the cell can do in terms of upscaling it is clear it can do more.
-1080p24Hz is supported
-Full featured. I know you said you weren't interested, but having the option is always nice.
-Price/best bang for your money
-Wifi/net connection
post #4 of 11 Old 01-23-08, 10:55 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Personally, if you have the cash stay with the 5000. Its far more flexible and this way you have only one player for both formats. A PS3 just doesn't fit in an audio rack well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 11 Old 01-23-08, 12:32 PM
Senior Shackster

The PS3 is time proven to be solid. Its plays Blu-rays very well and since its the centerpiece with all of the worlds electronics eyes zooming in on it, it gets regular firmware updates that address issues sometimes before they happen. Also, just due to the Cell's power, there should never be any reason why it couldn't always be the fastest loading Blu-ray player. Long load times are not fun. I'd also recommend it due to the continual potential for future upgrades.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-23-08, 04:41 PM
Senior Shackster

A good thing about the ps3 as well is that it will hold resale value much better than the others. I doubt you would be selling any of these but just in case some fancy new something comes out you would have better options.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-08, 11:20 AM
Senior Shackster

If the 5000 can be upgraded... it's golden, the best ever. It's sd dvd picture on a 1080P set is really top-notch. Sadly it only support TrueHD in two channels at the moment with no support for DTS-HD. Samsung is saying May it'll have a patch for it all, but who knows.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-08, 11:36 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

I voted neither. Like Mike, I would never consider a gaming console as a serious piece of HT equipment, and Samsung's history with Blu players has been spotty at best (writing down great specs is easy; bug-free implementation is another matter, something Samsung doesn't do so well). You already have the creme-of-the-proverbial-crop for HD-DVD (the XA2), and IMO neither the Sammy nor the PS3 would be a good match. Especially with the constantly evolving Blu spec causing Sammy players problems (which Samsung then has to issue a FW update to fix), I would wait and see what the Panasonic 50 or Poineer Elite 05FD brings to the party (or even the Denon, if $ is no object).

EDIT: Word has it that Samsung is going to stop producing the 5000 in May, and from what I understand, is not into supporting their players beyond it's generation. This would seem to gel with their general avoidance of 5000 technical questions at CES...

Edit#2: It's also come to light that the universal chip used (Broadcom BCM97440) itself has issues, and that a FW update is insufficient to fix the audio shortcomings (no TrueHD 5.1, DTSHD-MA, etc)...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

The Overlook Theater - Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

Last edited by Vader; 01-24-08 at 04:23 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-08, 04:21 PM

After a few back-and-forth posts with Wayde, who also voted for it, I voted for the Samsung BD-UP5000. Its specs are great. As has been discussed in the official BD-UP5000 thread, we all know it is going to require firmware updates before it actually delivers on its audio specs. And it also requires an already-released firmware update to remove some incompatibilities with some of the latest discs (such as 3:10 To Yuma). But two different reviewers have issued glowing reports on its video quality. And one of those reviewers had just installed the firmware update that was released a few days ago and it worked as advertised. Upgrading firmware sounds like it should be easy, because the player has an Ethernet port and can handle direct downloads (but I don't have the player yet and so haven't actually tried it).

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the audio-related firmware arrives in May as promised, and letting my order for the BD-UP5000 stand.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-08, 07:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Send a message via MSN to Blaser

PS3 and use it as a movies server

Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

Projector selection basics
Epson TW 2000 review

bdp1400 , bdup5000 , ps3 , samsung , sony

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page