Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Blu-ray | DVD | Disc Media Players (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-disc-media-players/)
-   -   Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active? (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-disc-media-players/53271-panasonic-dmp-bd210-hdmi-optical-outs-both-active.html)

jaymz 12-23-11 08:41 AM

Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

I have an older Marantz receiver (SR-7300) and I want to pair it with a Panny DMP-BD210 DVD player.

Because the SR-7300 doesn't have HDMI, I want to feed the panny's HDMI out directly to my TV and feed the DVD sound (optical) directly to the SR-7300. Are both the HDMI and optical ports both active at the same time?

On my current DVD player (Marantz 4001; HDMI 1.0), I can feed HDMI to the TV but don't get sound from the COAX output to the receiver. If I unplug the HDMI to the TV on the 4001, I get Dolby Digital, but no picture. I suppose I can feed video from the component outs on the 4001 to the TV, but want to know about the Panny before I buy.

Thanks,

Jim

Jungle Jack 12-23-11 08:59 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Hello,
With your BDP, there will be no issue as many have HDTV's but older AVR's without HDMI. Just make sure that Optical is turned on if that needs to be done.
Cheers,
JJ

tonyvdb 12-23-11 10:30 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Just remember that if you use optical you wont get the uncomperssed audio so you will need to select the correct audio on the BluRay movie each time you play them as it will default to the uncompressed format.

nova 12-24-11 09:32 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Jim,
To verify for you, I just plugged a Toslink cable into my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and ran it to my receiver and ran an HDMI cable from the BDT210 to the TV. The answer is... YES, I get audio over HDMI to the TV and audio over optical to the receiver at the same time.

jaymz 12-24-11 09:39 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Ah, excellent! Is that the default setting on the Panny or did you have to go into the setup and turn on the optical?

How do you like the Panny?

Thanks,

Jim

nova 12-24-11 09:56 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

I believe so, I don't remember ever changing any audio settings on it. So far I like the BDT210, it was a replacement for my BD80 that only lasted a year. I gave Panasonic a second chance because I feel they are a good value in audio and video performance. I'm hoping the early failure of the BD80 was a fluke and that the BDT210 will last more than a year. So far my only complaint is with playing DVD's. It has a menu setting for 24P but I still have to enable it every time I play a DVD, the BD80 was the same way.

jaymz 12-29-11 12:14 PM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Well, I bought the Panny yesterday; on sale a Target for $130. I was looking on eBay, but they're averaging about $125-$140, plus avg shipping is $10-$15. So, with state sales tax, it was a wash, plus no hassles returning it if it wouldn't work. Works just fine with the Martanz SR 7300 receiver and new LG 55LW5600 TV. Just finished watching "Aliens," on Blu-ray and it is just an awesome pic and sound.

Jim

Jungle Jack 12-29-11 08:48 PM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Quote:

jaymz wrote: (Post 484213)
Well, I bought the Panny yesterday; on sale a Target for $130. I was looking on eBay, but they're averaging about $125-$140, plus avg shipping is $10-$15. So, with state sales tax, it was a wash, plus no hassles returning it if it wouldn't work. Works just fine with the Martanz SR 7300 receiver and new LG 55LW5600 TV. Just finished watching "Aliens," on Blu-ray and it is just an awesome pic and sound.

Jim

Jim,
Congrats. Also, Panasonic keeps its Resale Value better than any other BDP Brand with the exception of OPPO. All the more impressive considering how inexpensive some of their BDP's cost. Really are wonderful BDP's and there is a reason they hold their value like they do.
Cheers,
J

TypeA 01-01-12 05:52 PM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Quote:

jaymz wrote: (Post 484213)
Well, I bought the Panny yesterday; on sale a Target for $130. I was looking on eBay, but they're averaging about $125-$140, plus avg shipping is $10-$15. So, with state sales tax, it was a wash, plus no hassles returning it if it wouldn't work. Works just fine with the Martanz SR 7300 receiver and new LG 55LW5600 TV. Just finished watching "Aliens," on Blu-ray and it is just an awesome pic and sound.

Jim

Your receiver has 7.1 analog inputs and you could have had full lossless support with your existing avr, sorry was on vacation and didnt catch your thread in a timely manner. Optical and coax is a lesser signal but will work out for you, Im sure. I got the aliens anthology on blu ray for christmas and I totally agree its a killer movie on blu :clap:

jaymz 01-02-12 08:06 AM

Re: Panasonic DMP-BD210; HDMI and optical outs both active?
 

Quote:

TypeA wrote: (Post 484823)
Your receiver has 7.1 analog inputs and you could have had full lossless support with your existing avr, sorry was on vacation and didnt catch your thread in a timely manner.

Please explain!

Thanks,

Jim


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright ©2006 - 2014, Home Theater Shack, LLC.