Best Songs for 2 channel stereo showoff? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > CD-BD-DVD Music | Vinyl Records
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 35561 - Replies: 13  
Old 08-26-08, 04:15 PM   #1
Shackster

Steve
Since: Jan 2008
Chino Hills, Ca
I started this thread.
Best Songs for 2 channel stereo showoff?

What are the best demo songs for a 2 channel system that will knock my guests socks off? I am looking for a list of great musical and clean recording to demo my system off?...thanks in advance

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-08, 04:37 PM   #2
Friend of the Shack
Platinum Supporter

Otto
Since: May 2006
Beautiful Colorado
Re: Best Songs for 2 channel stereo showoff?

Well, there's all kinds of stuff out there... Any specific genres you're looking for? I'll offer some random stuff here:

Bossacucanova: Essa Moca ta Diferente -- album is Uma Batida Diferente
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon -- whole album
Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man -- not sure on album
Air: The Vagabond -- album is 10,000 Hz Legend
Paul Simon: Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes -- album is Graceland

Those are a few that I enjoy anyway...

-- Otto

Old 08-26-08, 05:13 PM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

Flim & the BB's Big Notes, the track Funhouse is my favorite. This is an older CD (late 80's) but recorded digitally non the less and produced by DMP records

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 08-26-08 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-27-08, 08:38 AM   #4
Banned!

Since: Sep 2006

I'm actually planning on doing a segment on how to put together a listening test disc in one of my next 2 or 3 episodes. Paul Simon "My Little Town" not as a show off piece, but to test difficult material. The recording is a little muddy, but the instrumentation is still really dense. If a set of speakers can make that track sound open, then you've really got something.

Old 08-27-08, 09:15 AM   #5

Andrew
Since: Jul 2007
College Station, TX

If you are looking for recordings that on a right a properly designed [low resonance, wide dispersion omnipolar] and placed [within an appropriately acoustically treated environment] system sound like real life Mapleshade Records has a large selection of titles. The largest problem with their recordings is that they insist on using analog recording methods which means there is audible tape hiss. Besides that one issue these are some of the most realistic recordings I have experienced both in a tonal and timbrel sense along side imaging, listener location etc...

Ethan Frome is one specific opera that is a great example of what I am talking about.

Andrew

Old 08-27-08, 12:58 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Josh
Since: May 2007
Louisville, KY

I would suggest if this is to impress other people with your system, make them realize how music can sound, or sell them on what you've got, it would be best to use material that is very familiar to them. Perhaps very popular music that everyone knows, or have them bring material that they are fond of. If they've never heard their music on a really good set-up, it can be quite enlightening to them when they hear details, and other things that they've never noticed before. Of course good demo material may make them think WOW that sounds good, but when it's something they've heard a thousand times and they know the track inside and out and find themselves thinking "I've never heard this sound like that!", it's even better.

Old 08-27-08, 02:05 PM   #7
Elite Shackster

Maverick
Since: Mar 2007
Sandnes, Norway

Trouble with that is that most list-pop these days only sound good on a clock radio...

Old 08-28-08, 08:13 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA

You can also request a Free DVD from B&W

It has some music and effects ... if interested I can give you a copy (just send me a PM)

Old 08-29-08, 02:31 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

Josh
Since: May 2007
Louisville, KY

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
Trouble with that is that most list-pop these days only sound good on a clock radio...
True...I often forget that there's no accounting for taste. Although I'm sort of assuming that people who are truly interested in good sound and are passionate about their music will not be bringing that stuff for demo material. Not all pop is bad though even if it is heavily compressed and has very basic sound palette used. Example MJ's Thriller album. Everyone has heard this album a ton of times on a bunch of different set-ups and you think you know the track, but when you hear it on a really good system it can surprise you.

Personally I like the track Stones from the Sky from the band Neurosis for evaluating speakers.

Old 08-31-08, 11:57 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

Ron
Since: Apr 2006
Dallas, Texas

I have several songs I use to evaluate equipment. They are:
  1. Patricia Barber Nardis (Cafe Blue)
  2. Patricia Barber Orpheus/Sonnet (Mythologies)
  3. Yellowjackets Wildlife (Live Wires)
  4. Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc (almost anything on it).
  5. CCR Suzie Q

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > CD-BD-DVD Music | Vinyl Records »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »