Music on blu-ray? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 33 Old 02-08-11, 03:19 AM

DUDE. Wicked sick avatar btw. I'm a huge DCI fan (marched in blue devils b) but cavies are definitely my favorite Corp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 02-08-11, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: Music on blu-ray?

Quote:
blackzarg wrote: View Post
Didn't know that HDtracks sold multichannel media! What format are they in, and how do you play them?
My mistake, I should have said my high resolution music purchases come from HDtracks. My processor detects any out of phase signals in each channel, and directs it to its corresponding surround speaker. The left channel is sampled, and the out of phase information in that channel goes to the left side and left rear surround, and visa versa for the right channel. Its not discrete surround, but the separation the processing does really expands the soundfield in a very natural way.

Another drum corps fan huh? We seem to be everywhere these days. I marched in the Cavaliers for seven years from 1980 to 1987. I marched in the San Francisco Renegades from 2003-2005. I am a true drum corps addict!

Do you know they now have the championships on Bluray thanks to my(and several other Cavaliers) heavy lobbying of Tony Blair productions who produce the championship DVD's. Tony Blair is a former Cavalier!

Titan Reference 1080p 3D projector with 130" SI Black Diamond II screen, Oppo BDP-83SE, Oppo BDP-95, Cell based Grass Valley Pro HD A/V switcher and processor, Audyssey XT32 Pro equalization all main channels, Audyssey Sub Equalizer 7 Onkyo M-588 power amp ,7 Onkyo M-508 power amp,2 Onkyo M-504a power amps, 2 custom 4 way horn hybrid monitors,1 custom 2.5 way horn hybrid center monitor 8 custom 2 way horn hybid surrounds, 4 custom 15" servo H-PAS tuned subs

Member of AES/M.P.S.E/SMPTE
post #13 of 33 Old 02-08-11, 11:24 AM

Ah, got it. So something like Dolby PLII or similar then?

And yes! DCI on Blu-Ray looks AMAZING. Unfortunately I haven't been able to afford them...although I do own the BD2010 Blu Ray so I own a sample, at least! I guess I have you to thank for that =)

PM sent regarding DCI! Haha.

Quote:
Sir Terrence wrote: View Post
My mistake, I should have said my high resolution music purchases come from HDtracks. My processor detects any out of phase signals in each channel, and directs it to its corresponding surround speaker. The left channel is sampled, and the out of phase information in that channel goes to the left side and left rear surround, and visa versa for the right channel. Its not discrete surround, but the separation the processing does really expands the soundfield in a very natural way.

Another drum corps fan huh? We seem to be everywhere these days. I marched in the Cavaliers for seven years from 1980 to 1987. I marched in the San Francisco Renegades from 2003-2005. I am a true drum corps addict!

Do you know they now have the championships on Bluray thanks to my(and several other Cavaliers) heavy lobbying of Tony Blair productions who produce the championship DVD's. Tony Blair is a former Cavalier!

post #14 of 33 Old 02-09-11, 11:01 AM
Senior Shackster
koyaan

My System

2L has some neat stuff. I got their "Flute Mystery" Blue ray and love it ( It comes packaged along with an SACD).
It's music by Fred Jonny Berg performed by Emily Beynon and the Philharmonia conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy and is audio only, 5.1.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-09-11, 11:20 AM
Senior Shackster
gs

Quote:
blackzarg wrote: View Post
Didn't know that HDtracks sold multichannel media! What format are they in, and how do you play them?
Q: What is an AIFF, a FLAC, and a 320kbps MP3 file? Which one should I choose?
A: AIFF is a CD-quality digital-audio format. It is an uncompressed CD-quality audio file that is compatible with several players, including iTunes.

FLAC is a CD-quality lossless digital-audio format. This means that it does not lose data like other types of compressed audio files. Lossless compression still retains low-level resolution of a standard CD. The advantage of FLAC is that it takes up less room on your computer than an AIFF. Additionally, FLAC will play gapless audio, an advantage for albums and playlists which feature segueing between tracks. Several players are compatible with FLAC, including Winamp, Media Monkey, and Songbird (iTunes is not compatible with FLAC without a third party plugin).

320kbps MP3's are compatible with most players on the market, including iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp, Media Monkey, and Songbird. We recommend that you use this format if you are not sure what to choose, or you do not have a lot of space on your hard drive.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php

I have already bought 24 bit FLAC from HDtracks, as well as B&W Society of Sound. I find that both of these outlets have restrictive catalogs. (Of course B&W is producing and selling so this is understandable.) I certainly hear the plea about BD audio, and this format should have been pushed by Sony Records from the beginning. Music industry executives are perhaps the most parochial capitalists I've ever encountered, and I expect they will follow up their failures of the last 10 years by failing to provide a meaningful product for their listening public, meanwhile complaining about the declining sales of CDs.
post #16 of 33 Old 02-11-11, 02:12 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
Sir Terrence wrote: View Post
I also now have about 225 concert and audio only Bluray disc.
I was not aware 225 even existed, where might I parlay such a collection? Where do you shop? Do you have some favorites you can list?
post #17 of 33 Old 02-11-11, 02:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
I was not aware 225 even existed, where might I parlay such a collection? Where do you shop? Do you have some favorites you can list?
I am a music reviewer, so I get advanced screener's to review. Also check Amazon, there are plenty listed their for you to gander and parlay(I love that word ) if you so choose.

Titan Reference 1080p 3D projector with 130" SI Black Diamond II screen, Oppo BDP-83SE, Oppo BDP-95, Cell based Grass Valley Pro HD A/V switcher and processor, Audyssey XT32 Pro equalization all main channels, Audyssey Sub Equalizer 7 Onkyo M-588 power amp ,7 Onkyo M-508 power amp,2 Onkyo M-504a power amps, 2 custom 4 way horn hybrid monitors,1 custom 2.5 way horn hybrid center monitor 8 custom 2 way horn hybid surrounds, 4 custom 15" servo H-PAS tuned subs

Member of AES/M.P.S.E/SMPTE
post #18 of 33 Old 02-17-11, 12:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

HDtracks:
They have a huge hi rez catalog but I've heard some might just be upsampled from CD. Some reviewers have tested a variety of the more expensive hi rez downloads and found them to be the same quality as the standard rez.
HDtracks does not scrutinize their inventory very well. A label may upsample some tracks and then sell them to HDtracks as hi rez, and HDtracks doesn't test for it.
HDtracks is run by Chesky, so probably the most reliably true hi rez downloads would be from the Chesky label.

iTrax:
Very small hi rez catalog but they say they authenticate every single one to make sure they are hi rez.
iTrax has multi channel downloads.

Playing hi rez on your BR player:
So you don't have a DVD-A or SACD player? You can download hi rez music and then have your computer burn them onto a DVD-V disc and it will play hi rez through your home BR player.
http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by gdstupak; 02-17-11 at 01:08 AM.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-17-11, 05:29 PM
Shackster
Dave

Rush Moving Pictures 5.1 Blu-ray audio to be released April 5th.
Rather have Farewell to Kings but this is still good news.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=154096
post #20 of 33 Old 03-02-15, 12:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
We had a concert night last night with Jewel The Essential Live Songbook. It was very good with both audio and video being outstanding. If you're a fan of Jewel it's worth checking out.