The White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-06, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave
DVD REVIEW: The White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights

For those who do not know about the White Stripes and their music, the band is a two piece, Jack White (vocals, guitar, keyboards) and Meg White (drums and vocals). Musically they are a bit different to say the least, this is thumping, primitive, aggressive, bone jarring rock & roll, definitely not for the faint hearted.

This DVD is of a perfomance in Blackpool, England in 2004 and features songs from their first four albums: The White Stripes, De Stijl, White Blood Cells and Elephant.

Regarding picture quality, it was filmed using Super 8 cameras to intentionally give a grainy look, I would have preferred better picture, the sound quality however more than makes up for not so great PQ.

PQ 6/10
SQ 9/10

To the DVD and songs themselves, there is a good mix from the four albums, a few cover versions thrown into the mix and all the 'hits' are present. The White Stripes pack a lot of songs onto this DVD, twenty six in total, with very little chat in between the songs, this is a fast paced gig with no frills.

Meg is great on the drums, simplistic driving beats with lashings of Jack's guitar make this an energtic performance DVD, if you like this type of music, it will have you tapping your foot and may even make you want to get into a mosh pit and just get carried away by the music.

There are so many songs that stand out out on this DVD, I'll try to give a run down on some of them. 'Balck Math' has some great bass with Meg really giving the drums a good working out, also some very nice guitar by Jack. The intro to 'I think I smell a rat' is cool, the interaction between Jack and Meg or guitar and drums is great to watch and hear. 'Outlaw Blues' is a Dylan cover and is followed by 'Jack the Ripper', this has some great bass again, watch the lights on your BFD if you have one. 'Jolene', a Dolly Parton cover has to be one of my favourites, great delicate intro turns pretty intense, back to delicate and back to intense. 'Hotel Yorba' was a pretty big hit for them and the crowd are loving it. 'Death Letter' has Jack switching to acoustic guitar, still amplified though and Jack seems to be one with his instrument. Back to electric for 'Do' but slowing down the tempo a little. 'The hardest button to button' has a great riff and a nice simple drum beat. On 'Truth doesn't make a noise' you get a melodic intro which turns rough into deicate keyboards followed by some aggressive guitar. 'The big three killed my baby' is another one of my favourites, a song about Detroit (their hometown) and the effects of the automobile industry on the city. 'You're pretty good looking for a girl' always makes me laugh, it is short and funny. 'Apple blossom' has Jack playing keyboards, definitely not his best instrument but still good to hear. 'Ball and biscuit' must have one of the greatest wailing guitar solos on the entire disc. The set ends with 'Let's shake hands' which has Meg only using her right hand and feet. The encore is comprised of five songs and could be seen as a case of saving the best for last. 'Seven nation army' is arguably the best track on the entire disc, I always have to turn it up, the bass on this will make unsecured objects rattle and should upset sensitive neighbours, acousitc guitar with a great riff and did I mention bass that you will feel? Final song 'De ballit of de boll weevil', great song to end a great gig, crowd singing along, I normally find myself hoarse by the time this song comes around.

I was fortunate enough to see the White Stripes in Stockholm, Sweden last year, while this disc does not quite capture the feeling or the intensity or interaction between Jack and Meg, it does come very close to the real thing!

All in all, if you want over produced, nice sounding elevator music do not buy this disc. If you, on the other hand enjoy bone jarring, basic rock and roll with a simple beat and great raw guitar then this could be just the disc for you.

A lot of my friends do not like this music and it definitely is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it and that is what matters to me.

Feel free to comment on this disc if anyone has seen it or owns it. This so called 'review' is only my opinion.

Last edited by Fincave; 05-24-06 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-06, 02:22 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Re: The White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights

Would this be something similar to Rush (3 man band)? Harder or softer rock?

Good review by the way.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-06, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

If you are interested you can listen to some of there stuff here, the version of Jolene is great, IMO of course. This has to be one of the more in your face bands, they do exactly as they please, no obeying record companies etc. I think that Rush is a lot more civilized though can not really remember their music.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-07, 01:21 PM

It took me a little while, but I'm really beginning to like their music. has all (I think) of their cd's in lossless mp3.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-07, 07:27 PM

I love the White Stripes and will definetly be checking this out.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-07, 09:01 PM

I'll be checking it out as well definitely in my top 3 live shows and they're cd's all have at least a few kick butt songs on them.

Thanks for the review.

blackpool , lights , stripes , white

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page