What turntable do you still use? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 144 Old 12-05-09, 07:46 PM
Senior Shackster
Edward

Re: What turntable do you still use?

You have a TT? Why not post it,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 144 Old 12-05-09, 08:53 PM
Banned!

Bob

Quote:
clubfoot wrote: View Post
You have a TT? Why not post it,...
Hi Edward,

I have three of them, but only two actually connected.

* The problem, if I can truly call it a problem, is that I don't have a single clue how to even transfer pictures from my camera to my computer. I don't even know how to post a picture from anywhere else, or even transfer a picture from my family and friends, or myself or my systems or anything else.
I am so computer illiterate (I only have a computer for the first time in my life, for not even a year yet!, ten months to be precise), that I still have a lot to learn yet.
I should admit that I'm a big procrastinator as far as these things are concerned. I simply don't take the time to do it. And I don't have someone nearby to help me.

** Yesterday, I was trying to download a picture of myself from my computer (which my sister sent me by e-mail) into an internet audio site. I just couldn't. I spent already quite some time in the past to do so, but to no avail. I don't even have a copier connected, even less a physical one!

*** So, for now, the best I can do, is give you a link from the internet with a picture of my ditto two turntables. But then, it's not much fun now, isn't? And I'm so sloooooow to get these, that by the time I do, you'll get them much faster than I, just by Googling their model #s.

I feel very sorry about this. When someone ask me this, like you do, it frustrates me a great deal.
This is not the first time it happened. I would love to send pictures of myself to some girls I like on the internet, plus my audio system setup to some various audio sites...

I found that if you are limited in your abilities to fully extend or express yourself with all the tools available now on the internet, it can create issues, coming from some people.
It already happened a few times, here (but not anymore now), and other places (costing), that I am still learning people's expectations.
Anyway, I don't want to start a philosophical discussion here, but the fact is that with the internet, a new world of adaptation is required, same as in real life, but in real life, you have the physical eyes and ears to get you by.

Again, I'm really sorry for this, but one of these days...

Regards,
Bob

P.S. By the way Edward, was your question addressed to me?

Last edited by Lordoftherings; 12-05-09 at 09:05 PM. Reason: postcript
post #33 of 144 Old 12-05-09, 09:42 PM
Banned!

Bob

1. Pioneer PL-514 2-speed Belt drive turntable:
* http://www.grandcanyontuberadio.com/...l%20PL-514.jpg

2. Sony PS-LX500 Lineartracking turntable:
* http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PS-LX500-Li...item20ae5d3173 -> Just click on the picture to get a bigger size.

~ That's the best I can do for now. Sorry I couldn't find some better pictures.

Last edited by Lordoftherings; 12-05-09 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Link adjust

post #34 of 144 Old 12-06-09, 10:23 AM
Shackster
Bob

Unlike some here who have great current equipment, I'm running a vintage that for my sexagenarian ears does just fine thank you, obviating any upgrade impulses.

Here's a description:

George Merrill modified The AR Turntable with Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm, VTA-16 base, and Premier PIB-1 phono interface box.

[Mods: Merrill acrylic subchassis/tonearm board, upgraded high torque AC motor with Foucault shield, inner platter balanced and lead coated, new spindle, bearings and oil well, new springs. From Merrill/Scillia Research an acrylic platter with a Whitacre copolymer ring available.]
The table is supported by Immedia Finite Elemente/Ceraball isolation feet which sit on a 23 3/4' x 15 3/4' slab of polished Brazilian granite in turn resting on a set of MapleShade IsoBlocks, all on a Target VW1 Pro wall mount turntable shelf.

I'm using step up transformers for my low output moving coil cartridges, currently running Cinemag CMQEE-3440As. Denon DL-304 (0.19mV @ 1.2g) & Denon DL-103D (0.28mV @ 1.5g) low output moving coil cartridges in Orsonic AV-1 anti-vibration headshells; Extremephono stylus cleaner; PIB-1 w/HomeGrownAudio Super Silvers; 592g SC-101 spindle weight; Disc Doctor and Nagaoka CL-152 vinyl cleaners; Audioquest anti-static brush; Herbie's HAL-O Jr tonearm dampers.

Here's an older shot without the updated support system:

And a shot of the equipment rack showing the improved TT support components:

Last edited by Bob A (SD); 12-10-09 at 02:35 PM.
post #35 of 144 Old 12-06-09, 11:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Edward

Lordoftherings I know the Pl-514 but not the Sony,...The Pioneer is a classic.

You have an AR! I thought my dad was the only one! One of the first isolated suspension turntables, he made his own tonearm at the time and ran a Sure M75D or E on it for years. It's still in a box somewhere under a bed back home.
His does not look like yours though,...a lighter coloured wood finish and if I remember sharper corner edges.
post #36 of 144 Old 12-06-09, 06:05 PM
Banned!

Bob

Quote:
Bob A (SD) wrote: View Post
Unlike some here who have great current equipment, I'm running a vintage that for my sexagenarian ears does just fine thank you, obviating any upgrade impulses.

Here's a description:

George Merrill modified The AR Turntable with Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm, VTA-16 base, and Premier PIB-1 phono interface box.

[Mods: Merrill acrylic subchassis/tonearm board, upgraded high torque AC motor with Foucault shield, inner platter balanced and lead coated, new spindle, bearings and oil well, new springs. From Merrill/Scillia Research an acrylic platter with a Whitacre copolymer ring available.]
The table is supported by Immedia Finite Elemente/Ceraball isolation feet which sit on a 23 3/4' x 15 3/4' slab of polished Brazilian granite in turn resting on a set of MapleShade IsoBlocks, all on a Target VW1 Pro wall mount turntable shelf.

I'm using step up transformers for my low output moving coil cartridges, currently running Cinemag CMQEE-3440As. Denon DL-304 (0.19mV @ 1.2g) & Denon DL-103D (0.28mV @ 1.5g) low output moving coil cartridges in Orsonic AV-1 anti-vibration headshells; Extremephono stylus cleaner; PIB-1 w/HomeGrownAudio Super Silvers; 592g SC-101 spindle weight; Disc Doctor and Nagaoka CL-152 vinyl cleaners; Audioquest anti-static brush; Herbie's HAL-O Jr tonearm dampers.

Here's an older shot without the updated support system:
http://rap.midco.net/bald1/SUT_sm.jpg

And a shot of the equipment rack showing the improved TT support components:
http://rap.midco.net/bald1/stereo_rack_sm.jpg
Hey, pretty cool Bob! Great turntable setup. Plus I see your Nakamichi Dragon tape deck, and other stuff that put me right back into memorabilia avenue...
Thanks for sharing sir.

Bob

Last edited by Lordoftherings; 12-06-09 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #37 of 144 Old 12-07-09, 09:50 PM
Senior Shackster
Edward

There is nothing left of the AR after those mods But I'm sure it must sound fantastic.
post #38 of 144 Old 12-07-09, 11:04 PM
Banned!

Bob

Quote:
There is nothing left of the AR after those mods But I'm sure it must sound fantastic.
Lol...
post #39 of 144 Old 12-08-09, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Lordoftherings wrote: View Post
Plus I see your Nakamichi Dragon tape deck
Ahh yes, the Nakamichi Dragon. the coolest auto reverse tape deck ever made! and one of the best sounding as well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #40 of 144 Old 12-10-09, 02:31 PM
Shackster
Bob

Re: Vintage AR

Quote:
You have an AR! I thought my dad was the only one! One of the first isolated suspension turntables, he made his own tonearm at the time and ran a Sure M75D or E on it for years. It's still in a box somewhere under a bed back home.
His does not look like yours though,...a lighter coloured wood finish and if I remember sharper corner edges.
The original model (AR/XA) had the sharp square corners you mention. I had one (still have a spare headshell and a Lyrelift for it in a box here). Mine is a later model.