What turntable do you still use? - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 144 Old 12-16-09, 06:24 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Re: What turntable do you still use?

Quote:
Lordoftherings wrote: View Post
Wow! The Reel to Reel is spinning! Cool.

* Excellent deal on that Technics SL-1500 MkII turntable.
And 78 rpm records! You're certainly not a young guy.

Thanks for sharing.
Hey, I resemble that remark! (I'm actually 59)

I'll hurt your feelings a little more. The Teac X-1000R pictured came from a pawn shop. It was inoperable. I paid $50 for it. It turns out it needed a powerboard transistor and a new belt. $25 worth of parts and a little de-oxit later, it's running great! I think it suffered an early demise because the heads aren't worn.

Well, you've got to have something to play, right?

The bottom two shelves are LP's, with 78's in yellow sleeves above. This is about half of my 45 collection, I was still filing when these were taken:

The other side of the closet:

New Expedit shelves at the end:

Last edited by DougMac; 12-16-09 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 144 Old 12-16-09, 06:35 AM
Banned!

Bob

That's cool Doug, you're like me, still from the 50's, not young, but not old either, just right.

Oh, and you ain't hurting my feelings, I got a few deals myself on some audio components similar to yours.

Nice shatting with you.

Regards,
Bob

P.S. By the way, the pictures you just sent, look very organised. We can tell what kind of growing adult you are.
post #53 of 144 Old 12-17-09, 07:20 PM
Shackster
Bob

Quote:
Thank you Bob sir for the info, and also the link.

* I really love your Stereo setup in your living room.

Regards,
Bob

P.S. Did you ever give SACD a listen? Probably, but I'm asking because you have an Oppo player, from which most of them, you can also play SACDs. Just saying, CDs are so restricted compared to SACD's finer resolution...
Bob,

Yes. A friend brought over his mucho $$$$ SACD player and a few discs and we plugged it into my stereo setup and compared things with my deck and filterless outboard DAC. We both concluded that (1) my redbook playback system was the most analog sounding either of us had ever heard [I already knew that LOL] and (2) the differences between SACD and top of the line redbook playback equipment were inconsequential in the face of huge differences with recording engineering in compression, dynamic range, volume levels. microphone placement, et cetera ad nauseum. When a few outstanding discs were available (eg Mapleshade redbook CDs, etc.) subtle differences were detectable between CD and SACD but I maintain they were in the diminishing returns category. My friend disagreed believing them to be small but significant. But we both agreed source material was key in all respects.

Bottom line is that I found nothing to warrant my changing my existing equipment configuration.

Another shot of the stereo system rack:

Back on subject: Bob, did you notice the second TT I have in the HT system? A JVC QL-7 (always rather reminded me of top of the line Denon TTs)? For a direct drive it always did a great job for me. I bought it new way back when after my modified AR/XA was damaged beyond repair in a move. Of course the QL-7 was moved to second fiddle once I got that Merrill modified The AR table. The Grado ZF3E+ MM cart in it isn't top drawer by any stretch but it works well enough on dup vinyl I have downstairs

Not the best picture but you can see the QL-7 on the top shelf of the equipment rack (the TV was showing a road race in heavy rain, hence the blurriness):

Last edited by Bob A (SD); 12-17-09 at 07:43 PM.

post #54 of 144 Old 12-18-09, 01:14 AM
Banned!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Oh yes, I can see that JVC TT, and you're right, it does remind the top Denon TT from the 80's.

I also see your Onkyo Receiver in that room, let me guess, the TX-SR705?
If not, then it is the 706.

I like your Mustang vault.

* By the way, your center speaker, I would put it on a stand in front of your rear projection TV,
just slightly below the bottom of your screen.

Now, about SACD vs CD. You are absolutely correct, it's all about the quality of the recordings themselves; the sound engineer, his taste with EQ, compression, dynamic expander, etc.
Also the microphones used, electronics, cables, rooms, artist's real talents, innovative recording technics, and what else have you...

Mapleshade, Wildchild, Reference Recordings, JVC XRCD, ECM, AudioQuest Music, Analogue Productions Originals, Telarc DSD, Blue Note Records, Impulse, Verve, Clarity Recordings, Concord Jazz, Harmonia Mundi, Nonesuch, Hyperion, Koch Records, Channel Classics, Rykodisc, GRP Records, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, DCC Compact Classics, Chesky, DMP, Sheffield Lab, Hearts Of Space, Water Lily Acoustics, Delos, Groove Note, Audio Fidelity, Opus 3, Stretch Records, Fantasy Jazzland, Columbia Gold/Legacy, Lost Highway, N2K N-CodedMusic, Deutsche Grammophon, Justin Time, Milestone, Riverside, Auvidis, Three Blind Mice, Proprius, Analekta, Silence Records, and many more good recording Studios produce excellent audio recordings on CDs.
By the way, I own several CD & SACD titles from all these recordings Labels.

BUT, when I start buying SACDs quite a while back now, I noticed another jump, another notch in my personal pleasure, with more clarity, space, definition, at all frequencies of the audio spectrum.
Now, I'm not an expert, or do I own an expensive digital gear to play CDs, but the three SACD players that I own, and that cost me very little, are sounding much better to my ears than my more expensive CD player, even more expensive than the total price of my three SACD players combined together!

My only point here, is to share my own personal experience with you and others.
I fully respect your own experience, and also the people that still prefer the sound from vinyl compared to CD.

That's what Audio is all about, our personal evolution in this vast and exciting world.

And by the way, I also love Music Concerts on Blu-rays; they sound excellent in DTS-HD Master Audio, or Dolby True HD High Resolution uncompressed Lossless Audio. Same for Multichannel LPCM Audio.

I'm still big in two-channel Stereo audiophile listening habits.
But I also love Multichannel High Resolution Audio, when well recorded, and smartly done.
DVD Audio, nah, but in 24-bit/192khz Stereo only, oh ya. Well, some of them in Multichannel, like Mickey Hart, and few others too...
SACD Multichannel Audio & Blu-ray Multichannel Music Concert, in High Resolution Audio, of course YES.

To conclude, I will say that I love it all, LPs, CDs, SACDs, Dvd Audios, Blu-rays, HD DVDs, Cassette Tapes, Reel to Reel Tapes, 8-track tapes , i-pods, Internet Radio Streaming, Live Concerts: Blues, Jazz, Classical... So, just about anything that make Music, even me with my guitars, harmonicas, flutes or piano...

My top preference is first & foremost playing my own instruments and jamming with others, anytime, anywhere at will. That's who I am, a true Musical artist that loves to meet people for sharing emotional & musical chords. And that is exactly what I do in my life, besides other great stuff.

Thank you Bob for sharing your pictures, your words, and your time with me and others.
It does feed me in my musical pursuit of my most accomplished interests.

Cheers,
Bob
post #55 of 144 Old 12-18-09, 06:04 AM
Shackster
Bob

Quote:
By the way, your center speaker, I would put it on a stand in front of your rear projection TV,
just slightly below the bottom of your screen.

Bob,

It's 5am here and I've yet to hit the sack so this will be a very incomplete response. The DefTechs are recent acquisitions and are working out extremely well. That center unit has feet which are adjusted to aim the speaker directly at the listening position's ear level 16 feet away. I've experimented with this and the previous center unit and found this position to work best. The lower position seemed to engender reflection issues from the cocktail table and hassock.

More when I'm well rested! LOL

Best!

--Bob
post #56 of 144 Old 12-19-09, 07:54 AM
Shackster
John

Got this off the bay and rebuilt over the summer. The plain jane AR XA.

Sounds wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
What turntable do you still use?-ar-turntable1.jpg  

Fun Stuff:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #57 of 144 Old 12-23-09, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Very nice John Is there any anti skate or other options on it?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #58 of 144 Old 12-24-09, 07:44 AM
Shackster
John

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Very nice John Is there any anti skate or other options on it?
They say the wires coming out from the back of the tonearm when positioned correctly can act as anti skate. Other than that there aren't any other options.

Just a plain jane TT.

Fun Stuff:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #59 of 144 Old 08-01-13, 10:42 PM
Shackster

Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.
post #60 of 144 Old 08-02-13, 05:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Edward

Quote:
xmas111 wrote: View Post
Got this off the bay and rebuilt over the summer. The plain jane AR XA.

Sounds wonderful.
I still have my Dad's original AR turntable.