How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 35 Old 05-06-07, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C (or any other CD player)

Two weeks ago I got the dreaded "no disc" message when inserting either a burned disc or a Redbook CD. No warranty, only have $300 in the thing. What to do?

Tear it apart and see if it can be fixed! Better yet...find a website that will walk me through the ordeal! Here is the website.

Looks like I still gotta tear it apart.

Here it is with the hood off. Picture 1.

Two screws to remove to get to the lens. Could have easily moved the lens by turning the plastic gear. What is the fun in that? Picture 2.

The lens assembly. Used a Q-tip to make sure it moved freely, brushed all the dust off of it (really didn't see any).
Picture 3.

Close up of the lens. Note that it is manufactured by Sony. Used some magic cleaner (Isopropyl alcohol would have worked I bet) I picked up at Lonestar Audio Fest yesterday, sprayed a Q-tip and wiped the lens down. Reassembled....it works .
Picture 4.

Tried a lens cleaning CD; complete waste of time. Looks like you have got to get right on the lens to clean it. Did not see any dirt or grime on the lens. Used a magnifying glass. Must be real sensitive.

The magic cleaner. Thanks to MaxxHorn speakers .
Picture 5.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C-dsc00759.jpg  

How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C-dsc00760.jpg  

How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C-dsc00762.jpg  

How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C-dsc00763.jpg  

How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C-dsc00773.jpg  

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro

Last edited by rcarlton; 05-08-07 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Changed title-more descriptive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-22-07, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Dale

Re: How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C (or any other CD player)

That's great info! I have 740C and will remember that. These players are very proprietary and I would hesitate to attempt any repairs beyond a lens cleaning, etc.
post #3 of 35 Old 07-16-07, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Re: How to fix a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C

Oops...got the dreaded no disc message again. Could the lens be dirty? Took the cover off, cleaned and cleaned the lens with no results. Looked closely at the wiring and made sure each connection was tight. Pushed connection, tested. Finally started working when I pushed the connection in the red circle. The ribbon cable is the only one from the transport mechanism, only tested two other connections on the transport before I tried the other end of this cable. Sprayed it with DeoxIT, put it back together and it is playing in the background as I type.

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
post #4 of 35 Old 07-17-07, 07:25 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Likely the pickup is going bad. Look on the side of the pickup assy and get the number. This looks like one of the cheap Sony pickups that you can get a replacement for easily. Just remember to remove the solder bridge before installing the new one.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-17-07, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Like this one:

Dallas, Texas

post #6 of 35 Old 07-18-07, 05:27 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Well, given my experience with that vendor and the reputation that they have among servicers, I don't think I would use that source for such a part. There are numerous vendors that have them, however. Just match the KSS number on the white tag and look to the parts suppliers listed here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tributors.html

Also, you might refer to the information in Sam Goldwasser's FAQ referenced in this list:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ful-links.html

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-18-07, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

lcaillo,
Thanks for the heads up. I hope never to have to replace the pickup. Fingers crossed.

Dallas, Texas

post #8 of 35 Old 03-23-08, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Looks like the pickup has finally given up the ghost. New one on order.

Dallas, Texas

post #9 of 35 Old 03-31-08, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Got the new part, simple to replace...but...it don't work. Correct part number, checked all connections, no luck. Put the old laser pickup in...works fine. Still suspect the laser assembly is going bad, hope I can get a replacement.

Dallas, Texas

post #10 of 35 Old 03-31-08, 10:30 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Did you remove the solder bridge like I said above?