PC vs Bluray Player vs Dedicated CDP - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > CD Players | Turntables
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1982 - Replies: 7  
Old 09-25-11, 01:47 AM   #1

Since: Feb 2011
I started this thread.
PC vs Bluray Player vs Dedicated CDP

I have alc888 onboard audio and the AudioCDs sound quite good. I believe that this is probably 'Pathetic' as compared to what dedicated CDPs can do(out of question due to budget issues).
I am thinking of getting a Sony S380 BDP for blurays and my question is whether it would be much better than the PC 'FOR AUDIOCDs'.
I have my doubts since audio CDs sound disgusting as compared to PC on my current entry level Philips DVD player.
PS: Only analog output will be used as I don't have a reciever. I have a great Sereo Amp which only has analog IN.

Last edited by chinu_hark; 09-25-11 at 02:10 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-11, 06:06 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: PC vs Bluray Player vs Dedicated CDP

When you say that the sound is "disgusting" what exactly do you mean? It is hard to answer your question until one understands your expectations.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 09-25-11, 12:59 PM   #3
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view
Since: Aug 2010
Lincoln, NE
My System

Welcome to HTS, chinu_hark!

Are you looking for a one box solution for Blu Ray/DVD/CD?

I am pondering something along these lines myself, with streaming thrown in.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

Old 09-25-11, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

RTS100x5
Since: Sep 2009
Arlington, Tx.

My PC sounds far better than my Marantz 6001DV SACD/DVD player .... that said if your looking to upgrade your sound card look at ASUS Xonar . I have the HDAV deluxe which is HDMI and 7.1 analog out. Sadly they can only be had on eBAY now.... Retail you might look at the HT CLARO XT for superior specs w 7.1 analog .

I also have some of my op amps upgraded to discreet op amps from BURSON . My 7.1 analog sounds so smooth and alive its rediculous......

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0

Old 09-26-11, 08:21 AM   #5

I started this thread.

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Welcome to HTS, chinu_hark!

Are you looking for a one box solution for Blu Ray/DVD/CD?

I am pondering something along these lines myself, with streaming thrown in.
Exactly. The small size, simplicity and sleek looks are what's pulling me towards a BDP. The thing is that I can't sacrifice quality just for the looks. I really like BDP S380 (many features, good reviews, dirty cheap)
Now the BDP will cost the same as a (Bluray drive+reasonable creative X-fi sound card). I just don't want to regret after getting the BDP that the video and AUDIO quality is not as good as the PC.

Old 09-26-11, 08:45 AM   #6
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ
Since: May 2007
The Inland NW, USA
My System

My hesitation with going the PC route for bluray would be the software. Over the years I've bought two seperate licesnes for nice DVD software, and haven't done much besides regret it and move on. By my experience the flexibilty of buying software to play discs has a lot of flexibility, but it won't take more than a year or two to not be able to find the installer again or get support on it. Those companies seem to want you to upgrade to their new version every year for $50+ each time. Maybe it's different now, I donno. All of my endeavours were prior to bluray.

If it were me I'd probably get the S380, I've pndered the S580 myself. The sonys seem to be the cheapest options that also all play SACD.

Old 09-26-11, 10:50 AM   #7

I started this thread.

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
My hesitation with going the PC route for bluray would be the software. Over the years I've bought two seperate licesnes for nice DVD software, and haven't done much besides regret it and move on. By my experience the flexibilty of buying software to play discs has a lot of flexibility, but it won't take more than a year or two to not be able to find the installer again or get support on it. Those companies seem to want you to upgrade to their new version every year for $50+ each time. Maybe it's different now, I donno. All of my endeavours were prior to bluray.

If it were me I'd probably get the S380, I've pndered the S580 myself. The sonys seem to be the cheapest options that also all play SACD.
I think I will go with the S380. Are you completely satisfied with your S580. If so, I don't think there is any need to hesitate.(Both have the same audio and video DACs)
I also liked my DVD player more than PC before HD came. And maybe the player has just gotten very old and so I see a huge difference in it and my PC(sound wise)

Old 09-26-11, 11:18 AM   #8
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ
Since: May 2007
The Inland NW, USA
My System

I haven't gotten an S580 yet, but I've thought about it.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > CD Players | Turntables »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »