Firing up my analog rig - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 01-05-14, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Firing up my analog rig

I've heard some really fine examples of analog reproduction recently, which has sparked interest in revamping my rig. I have a fairly decent 'table, so I am looking at cartridges and modest phono preamp, and am going to build a DIY wall mount.

Turntable is an h/k T35C with less than 10 actual hours of play. I lucked out finding it in a pawn shop years ago, buried under a shelf with years of dust on the box. $75 including tax and I was out the door. I put a cheapo AT CN5625AL cart on it and played it a couple of times. That cartridge will no longer be used.

I was considering the Denon DL 110 (high output moving coil), Ortofon 2M Red or the Audio Technica AT 120E, but have been directed instead toward the Ortofon Super OM 10. It is said to be a better match for my light tonearm. I would be upgrading the stylus to an OM 20 in the near future if I go with the Super OM body.

I wanted the Cambridge Audio Azur 551p phono preamp, as it is a discrete, single ended Class A design, with capacitance that best matches the Ortofon cart (200-400pf). I was told by the salesman that the Pro-Ject Phono Box USB is a better preamp than the Cambridge Audio, and I do like the idea of digitizing albums for my auto and archiving.

Any suggestion for cartridges and phono preamps would be appreciated.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-05-14, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Re: Firing up my analog rig

So, basically what I am asking is, anyone have preferences?

- Cambridge Audio Azur 551p vs. Pro-Ject Phono Box USB.

- Ortofon Super OM 10 vs. anything else it this price range that works on a low mass arm.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #3 of 18 Old 01-08-14, 09:35 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Recently heard the Shure M97xE and it sounded terrific for $75 or so. Tracks great, not a single skip in hours of listening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-13-14, 11:21 PM
Shackster

Jeff

My System

The Shure M97xE is the better of the two. The OM-30 is closer to the Shure in sound but far more expensive. The only difference between any of the OM series is the stylus. All the cartridges are the same.

Try to find a Creek OBH-8 phono preamp on Ebay. It will mate well with the Shure.

Proper alignment, loading and anti-skate will play a big role in the final sound quality.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-14-14, 12:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I have not heard either of the phono pre amps mentioned however, either should do well and ProJect has a bit of an advantage maybe in that they do phono pretty well.
As far as cartriges, I second the Shure as I have one in my Rega RB300 now and it sounds very good irrespective of money. I also, until recently had a Denon 103R and it is wonderful, light and airy with very good bottom end, but a great deal more money than the Shure.

Also there is the MM vs MC choice and that does not even include the ever fabulous Grado carts. Yeah stick with the Shure, you will be happy.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-14, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Thanks for the replies. I might have to give that Shure cartridge a try. Had my eye on that, the Ortofon 2M Red, and the AT 190E. The Denon DL-110 high output MC is probably gonna get a try on my 'table. But the salesman at the Needle Doctor recommended a light cartridge with my unusually light tonearm.

I ended up going with the Ortofon Super OM10, with it's removable weight. I did forget to take the weight out before mounting the cartridge. Someday I will upgrade the stylus to an OM20 or OM30, I've read that will take me up to Ortofon Blue performance or better. Also, I will buy another headshell or two, the H/K tonearm accepts plug in headshells, this will allow me to try out different cartridges very easily. I can keep a MM and MC cartridge and switch at will!

Phono pre is the Pro-Ject Phono Box S. I like adjustable loading, and this will come in handy when trying out different cartridges.

The rig is up and running, aligned the cartridge, balanced the arm and set the dip switches on the phono pre for my cartridge specs. Just now spinning my first black circle, Genesis "Abacab". I also have this album on SACD, so I bought the LP today to compare.

The turntable is wall mounted (big thanks to HTS member BigCap for helping me out with this), and I can jump up and down near the 'table with no skipping. I thought the Phono Box S subsonic filter might be necessary because of my dual 18" subwoofers, but no issues so far. Just nice, tight, clean bass!

I'll get some pictures up as soon as the shelf is painted.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-14, 10:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Wonderful news, I am glad it is up and running and even more that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.
I can't say first hand experience what the Denon 103 sounds like but I had both the 103R and the 301 and they are both excellent sounding carts, but they do have really low output.

Keep enjoying and we look forward to the photos.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-14, 10:13 PM
Shackster

Jeff

My System

Congratulations! You'll have many hours of musical enjoyment from your TT.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-18-14, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

Hey Tess, can you give me a link for the TT wall mount? I built a dedicated rack to hold the TT and preamp but am a little concerned with vibrations from sub and speakers. My only problem is the mass of my TT, Sota Sapphire 111 weighing at 48 lbs. PIC here

Thank you, Jeffrey
Attached Thumbnails
Firing up my analog rig-004.jpg  

post #10 of 18 Old 01-19-14, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Hey Jeffery - I just used 14x10" shelf brackets, mounted with 75 lbs. anchor screws into the drywall, and a 20x24x3/4" MDF shelf.

I'm not sure if anchor screws would be safe with your 'table weight. You might need to go straight into wall studs.

http://www.menards.com/main/storage-...01-c-12645.htm

Here are a few, more complicated, projects. http://www.theanalogdept.com/shelves_&_platforms.htm