iPhone 7/7 Plus - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #21 of 45 Old 10-15-16, 01:38 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: iPhone 7/7 Plus

Yeah Tony, it's always a tough call but I'd say you're due too. I had a white 5 and it was a great piece of hardware. Just too small. I've had a 6s plus for almost a year and now even a regular 6/6s just feels too small. Although they're much easier to pocket. Fwiw the7 is miles ahead of the 5, and since you like your iPhone better, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 10-15-16, 02:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I'm always so far behind in technology LOL, I'm still using my Onkyo receiver as I have not been given enough push to get Atmos. If I wait for the iPhone 8 then the 9 will be the one to wait for. It's a never ending upgrade pattern.
I think my biggest thing is I don't really like that I have to carry around two phones, and work has to use an android phone as they use an app that's not available on IOS.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #23 of 45 Old 10-15-16, 02:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Funny that they don't have an iOS version. Coding is easy and most apps are available in both versions. and you're right. No matter what phone you get, the next one is always, the one. Lol. Just do it. You'll love it. I love 3D Touch. It's fun and quick. I also love Apple for its security.

post #24 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 03:11 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Jeff. Did you figure out pics?

post #25 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 09:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Curious, what does it do that mine won't?

4K video capture, expandable memory, 20.7MP camera, 1920x1080 screen, stereo front-facing speakers, IP68 waterproof, 2.5GHz quad-core proc with independent Adreno 330 for gfx, and I don't have to guess what the single button on the front will do. At this point, some of those specs are matched by competitors' devices...The important thing is that I've had this phone for 2 years already, and the rest of the field is finally starting to catch up (Samsung, LG, Motorola, Nokia, etc included).

I've long said that people should buy the thing they like, not the thing the advertising tells them is best. Given my hatred for the Apple user experience, and since that's essentially what I'd be paying for (because competing devices in every category they've ever offered a product can support a claim to a better spec in almost every field at the same price-point or lower), I'd be a fool to pay top dollar for a device I know I'm going to hate using.

I should also note that I've owned phones from LG, Motorola, and Samsung previously. I liked the Samsung, the Motorola was alright until it broke, and the LG routinely sent me into a blind rage... so I'm not even advocating for Android as a blanket statement. What I'm saying is that the design of the device matters, and specs are part of the design. If I'm going to drop $600 on a phone, I want it to say what it will do and I want it to do those things. Apple has long been cagey about publishing their specs (IMO because that would make it hard to claim that they're the best when any idiot could just read the box and find out otherwise), so their sales rely on customers LIKING the design. I don't like the design.

Nobody can tell you what you like or don't like... so if you like Apple phones, my blessings to you. Buy the phone and enjoy it... but don't claim it's the best X, Y, or Z when almost 100% of those statements can be proven false. Throughout Apple's history, other companies have offered competing devices that did the same things for less money, or everything better for the same price.
post #26 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 09:28 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I'm going to take the high road with my response. I don't know much about your particular phone. I actually did flirt with the Note 7 and LG V20 before commiting to another iPhone. Gotta say many of the features of the Note 7 were impressive but when I went into the store the salesperson told me there was a recall but things should open back up soon for ordering. Needless to say we all know how that turned out. The V20 also had my attention until I found out it didn't have the water protection feature my 7 Plus has. At the end of the day I love iOS and the smoothness of the entire Apple ecosystem. My 6 Plus worked just as good 2 years after the initial purchase as the day I bought it. In the end I chose the quality and refinement of Apple over the glitzy specs of Android. Like a BMW over a Dodge Hellcat the specs might not compare but when we race that course I like my chances.
You said you were going to take the high road, and then said one phone had "quality and refinement" over "glitzy specs". Your choice of words betrays you. Even your car analogy fails... which BMW? And which course? I bet you'd change your mind if that "course" was a 1/4mi drag strip... or if we're talking about a mid-90's 528.

I really only want one thing when it comes to people buying things: Know what you're buying and why. You bought the iPhone because "At the end of the day I love iOS and the smoothness of the entire Apple ecosystem. My 6 Plus worked just as good 2 years after the initial purchase as the day I bought it." That's cool... and it's also exactly why you should buy something. My Sony works just as well as when I bought it, and I bought it partially because I don't get along with the Apple ecosystem at all.
post #27 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 09:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Also, specs:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...ones/9816,8957

Note the release dates.
post #28 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 10:26 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Mr. McClain, well laid out as usual. I worded my question wrong. What I meant to say by it was, what can't "I" do as an end user that you can. You have included a number of specs to answer my earlier question. MP specs on phone cameras don't mean diddly since it only refers to how far you can digitally zoom which only enlarges pixels, and doesn't make more of them. Try to print some and you'll quickly see digital zoom is garbage. 4K video? To "me" doesn't matter since I have no practical way to see it.
I'm usually fairly nerdy when it comes to specs but IME, what they don't tell you is how well those numbers translate into user experience. You, like many others loathe apples ecosystem. I on the other hand, despite its many limitations, find it to be cohesive and consistent.(do not read as perfect). I also don't find car analogies to apply to tech, and wish I didn't read the word hellcat in this conversation.

post #29 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 11:00 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I concur... specs don't often tell the whole story. But there are specs that tell very important portions of the story, like pixel density, and S/N ratio. MP ratings on cameras are less important, but the sensor size coupled with the MP spec tells a more detailed story (literally). Sony puts a 1/2.3" sensor on their phones, vs a 1/2.6" in the Apples. Now those extra pixels mean something to the resulting image. One of many things that bothers me about Apple is that they either don't bother to tell you the whole story, or the assume you won't understand it. I find the practice rather off-putting.

Read up on the Xperia Z5 Premium, and you'll discover a phone released a year ago that's clearly about 5 years ahead of its time. You'll also discover that there's almost no point in having a 4K display on a phone (yeah, you read that right). And why did Sony put a 4K camera on a phone? Well, because they can. But what's really funny about the current lineup from Sony is that spec-wise, they're about what everyone else was doing 2-3 years ago. They clearly learned that they were busting their butts for features that customers didn't ultimately make use of... but in another year or two, they'll dust those designs off and blow everyone out of the water again, very quietly as usual. What will be really funny to me is that Apple/Samsung/LG/et al will be so proud of themselves (as usual) for doing something that Sony has had collecting dust in a closet for years.
post #30 of 45 Old 10-16-16, 11:40 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I totally agree with 4K on a phone being useless. Maybe if I strap it on my oakleys... Good points on camera specs too. Some of the ones that matter aren't published. Unfortunately it makes me think of Bose(my stomach is turning lol), and how they'll never publish anything or let anyone review their garbage. I'll definitely window shop the Sony, for fun but I've never liked their hardware.