Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

WANTED (to know): U.S. Customs

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lumen 
#1 ·
Please move if posted in wrong area.

Does anyone know how private-party purchases of audio equipment are processed through U.S. Customs? I'm consider a speaker purchase out of England, but am worried that I might be billed hundreds of dollars in fees.

#2 ·
If it is coming via US Mail...as I recall they will send you a bill for the Duty, but if it is FedEx, UPS, or DHL, I believe they have a broker that does the paperwork clearance for you for a fee. I think the Duty on most electronics is 2.5% (it has been a few years so i am not sure on the rates. If the product you are purchasing is made in USA, but sold in another Country it is free, but there is paperwork to complete to get the exemption. Not hard to do at all.

Reactions: Lumen
#3 ·
Looks like harmonized tariff says:

8518.21.0000 Single loudspeakers, mounted in their enclosures 3.6%

8518.22.0000 Multiple loudspeakers, mounted in the same enclosure 3.6%

If value over $2,500 requires 01 Formal Entry, customs bond equal to value, duty & fees.

Best to ensure that the freight forwarder is also a customs broker (DHL, UPD, FedEx all have brokers) and advise them (power attorney) to file entry on your behalf.

#4 ·
Looks like harmonized tariff says:

8518.21.0000 Single loudspeakers, mounted in their enclosures 3.6%

8518.22.0000 Multiple loudspeakers, mounted in the same enclosure 3.6%

If value over $2,500 requires 01 Formal Entry, customs bond equal to value, duty & fees.

Best to ensure that the freight forwarder is also a customs broker (DHL, UPS, FedEx all have brokers) and advise them (power attorney) to file entry on your behalf.
A little higher than i thought, but still not bad on Duty. We used to have some people come in and do their own paperwork (usually it was informal or section 321, etc. Most of the Freight Forwarders in my area do the Formal Entry for you too (they do charge you though).

#6 ·
I'm not that good with U.S customs but I agree that you have to pay huge amount for your purchase. It would be better to purchase within U.S because I believe that there are audio equipment that were bought from other countries like England that are being sold in U.S. also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.