MS Word keeps freezing up, driving me nuts! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Computers | HTPC | Media Servers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 5756 - Replies: 10  
Old 11-20-08, 08:43 PM   #1
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2006
Katy, Texas
I started this thread.
MS Word keeps freezing up, driving me nuts!

Ever since I upgaded the hard drive in my Compaq laptop, I've had problems with Word freezing up on me. Sometimes it's just for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. Occasionally it'll freeze up everything else I'm running as well, and won't respond to a "turn off computer" command, so I have to do a hard reboot.

It seems to be worse when I have Outlook and Yahoo Messenger open, and I've seen it "unfreeze" when I shut down Yahoo. Thought I was on to something there, but it will still freeze up on me at work, when I have nothing else open and no internet service or connection.

We've downloaded all the patches for this computer to no avail. Is there some bug with the new hard drive? Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Wayne

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-08, 09:18 PM   #2
HTS Hillbilly

I'm a redneck!
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My System
Re: MS Word keeps freezing up, driving me nuts!

Throw it up against the wall... that has always worked for me. Every time I have done that I have ended up with a working computer... a brand new one.

Sonnie Parker
Customer Service Associate
SVSound
www.svsound.com
custservice@svsound.com

Old 11-20-08, 11:59 PM   #3
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Since: Oct 2007
Central PA

Hi Wayne,

I notice that you changed the drive back in March, so that begs the question is this a new problem or have you had it since the drive swap?

If it's a new problem, what's changed on the laptop? Any new hardware or software?

Even if the laptop is used plugged into 110VAC, is the battery still in good shape? Just for grins, try removing the battery from the laptop and try using it that way. I know this sounds weird, but a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be his laptop was getting confused when it checked to see if the battery needed charging and the battery was totally dead.

The other things it could be is that DMA is somehow not active for the drive (I think Windows is supposed to set this automatically), or even more likely, a power-conservation setting, either on the drive or the PC, is not working like it should. I would turn all the power-conservation settings off and see if that fixes the problem.

On another laptop problem post someone (sorry I don't remember who) mentioned that if you have a stick of RAM going bad it can give problems like this.

Old 11-21-08, 05:32 AM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.

Wayne, give this a read. If it's a corrupt file within Word that's causing the problem, it's fairly easy to fix. Worst case scenario is you'll have to uninstall Word and reinstall it.

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm

Old 11-21-08, 06:15 AM   #5
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Central PA

Yet another reason why I still use WordPerfect.

Old 11-21-08, 10:58 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Katy, Texas
I started this thread.

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Hi Wayne,

I notice that you changed the drive back in March, so that begs the question is this a new problem or have you had it since the drive swap?

If it's a new problem, what's changed on the laptop? Any new hardware or software?
Hi Harpmaker,

Yeah, it pretty much appeared after I changed the hard drive. I have added some new software for malware and spyware, but I was having the problem before they were added; they haven't had an effect, and they have to be manually launched.

As far as the other stuff you mentioned, I'll look into it when I get a chance, but it seems like it would all have a global effect, not just with Word...?

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Wayne, give this a read. If it's a corrupt file within Word that's causing the problem, it's fairly easy to fix. Worst case scenario is you'll have to uninstall Word and reinstall it.

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out.

Regards,
Wayne

Old 11-22-08, 01:00 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

Chris
Since: May 2007
Lincoln, NE, USA

Wayne, you might try installing OpenOffice to see what you think. Compatible with MS Office file formats, and I've been using it for years with very few issues. Download from OpenOffice.org. While it's compatible, it is not Word, and some things are a bit different, but it looks/works very much the same, as do the spreadsheet and presentation software.

I don't know what your issue with Word might be, what version are you using, exactly?

As Mike said, you might try reinstalling or repairing your installation to see if that corrects the issue. Going to add/remove programs and picking MS Office will give you the options to remove, repair or reinstall. You'll need the media.

I originally found OO.o when an engineer at my former place of employment had his Master's thesis stop opening in Word. Word would only say the file was corrupt, and the only copy he had was on the hard drive of his PC. He was having a conniption, called me at home, (he was doing schoolwork after hours), but I did some research, downloaded OO.o, and was able to open the 'corrupt' file, save the file with a new name, and he could open it again with Word. A few formatting issues, but he didn't lose all that work. I smacked him upside the head for not storing it on the network where we could have restored from backup, and went home and back to bed.

Best part is it's free, and there's even a version that will run off your flash drive, so you can take it with you anywhere.

Old 11-22-08, 04:25 AM   #8
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Central PA

Sorry Wayne, I thought the problem was system-wide, just worse with Word. It sounds like Mike's suggestion might be your best bet.

I understand learning a word processor program and wanting to stay with it; like I quipped before, I still prefer to use WordPerfect (although the new X3 version sucks).

I try to stay away from MS products because they are truly "mysteryware", you never know what they are doing behind the scenes.

OpenOffice might be a good alternate WP for you. I should check it out again myself; the last time I looked at it (I think it was version 2) it was kind of slow and a bit bloated for just wanting to use the WP section. It sounds like this has changed.

I tried a free WP program called AbiWord that is quite nice.

Old 12-03-08, 09:44 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

Katy, Texas
I started this thread.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try them out after work slows down a bit, hopefully in the next few weeks. I'll report back.

Regards,
Wayne

Old 12-04-08, 02:24 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

thxgoon
Since: Feb 2007

After just completing a 20 page report I feel your pain . Makes me wonder how these people from Redmond made it this far. IMHO their products are definitely the least productive in the industry, but we are stuck with them.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Computers | HTPC | Media Servers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »